Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-08-2009, 10:05 PM   #31
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Isn't that the Amazon "kindling" in the OP photo?
Yea, probably. Its the first "front page" image I found of the Kindle, so I used it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:43 PM   #32
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yea, probably. Its the first "front page" image I found of the Kindle, so I used it.

BOb
No problem, I love it.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:56 PM   #33
K03AK
K03AK began at the beginning.

Device: NONE >:|
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Longshot:

Astak's new Pocket PRO comes with the Epson controller, 400MHz processor, 8 levels of grey scale, Adobe Digital Editions, supports 14 formats and 22 languages, comes with everything including a leather case, can be carried easily in a pants or jacket pocket, E-Ink, has left and right hand page change, has a scroll wheel, and comes in six colors for about $200. It also has automatic advance on the Text-To-Speech and plays MP3. There is NOTHING like this near as fast and inexpensive!
Can you tell me the release date?
K03AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:38 AM   #34
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
The price looks really good now when coupled with the Kindle store. The Astek EZReader is $259 at Fry's as is the Sony PRS-505. JetBook (5-inch screen) is $199, but supports no DRMed formats, so the book selection is limited.
I think $299 is still expensive. At $200 it would be a BUY for many people. Other ebook readers like jetBook or sony 505 have been on sale for as slow as $170 (NEWEGG) and $200 (Borders) respectively.
That's my price point: $200. Amazon has the Internet advantage, but the big DRM issue..
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:00 AM   #35
bully23
bully23 began at the beginning.

Device: IPAQ 2945, Clie TH55, prs-500
I just sold my PRS-505 in ebay 2 weeks ago, and got a Kindle 2 last Monday with $359. How can I get the $60 credit back. Do I need to file a claim?
bully23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:37 AM   #36
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by bully23 View Post
I just sold my PRS-505 in ebay 2 weeks ago, and got a Kindle 2 last Monday with $359. How can I get the $60 credit back. Do I need to file a claim?
Contact Amazon Customer Service to ask about a refund.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:40 AM   #37
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
The price looks really good now when coupled with the Kindle store. The Astek EZReader is $259 at Fry's as is the Sony PRS-505. JetBook (5-inch screen) is $199, but supports no DRMed formats, so the book selection is limited.
The book selection is limited to the geniuses who stood the test of time.
Proven quality vs. proven quantity.
Amazon wins because the majority of people have mediocre taste.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:29 AM   #38
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbooker View Post
Amazon wins because the majority of people have mediocre taste.
Wow! That was nasty and arrogant.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:42 AM   #39
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Dear Posters:

This thread is about the Kindle price drop. Let us, please - ALL of us - stay focused on discussing the Kindle price drop and the repercussions relating to this action. There should be no conflict of interest in the postings, please.

Thank you for your understanding.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:55 AM   #40
disney_mommy
Ebook fanatic
disney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by bully23 View Post
I called customer service (1-866-216-1072) and said "I bought the Kindle two weeks ago and now I see the price has dropped. I'd like to see if I can get the difference back." The customer service dude said "hold on, let me see what I can do... Normally we don't give back price differences, but for this we've made an exception. I'll refund you the difference of $60."

That was it. This morning, the $60 is back on my credit card.
disney_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:28 AM   #41
lovestoreadalot
Connoisseur
lovestoreadalot began at the beginning.

Device: none

Last edited by lovestoreadalot; 09-15-2010 at 09:13 AM.
lovestoreadalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:23 AM   #42
Nanny
Nanny began at the beginning.

Device: K2, PRS-505, Nokia 520, Fire Phone
I just ordered my Kindle on July 3rd & called Amazon customer service (1-866-216-1072) this morning. They're issuing me a $60 refund, but the lady I spoke with thought I had said that I had ordered the Kindle on June 3rd and was going to do the refund anyway. So it wouldn't hurt to call customer service even if you're a few days past the 30-day deadline.

Nanny

Last edited by Nanny; 07-09-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:09 AM   #43
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovestoreadalot View Post

Wow, this is great news, it means that I am $60 closer to owning a kindle!!!!
So, if it drops another $299 you'll get one?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #44
akira28
Nameless Being

$360 or $300. 16% discount is not much incentive

I don't believe the price drop will do much to spur Kindle sales, especially in these times. In order to have a significant, mainstream impact Amazon would have to:
  1. Drop the price below $200
  2. Drop the e-ink screen in favor of hi-density LCD to increase contrast levels, cure the screen flashing problem, give color and backlighting options, and reduce manufacturing cost.
  3. Drop ebook prices to make them an incentive to purchase the hardware
  4. Drop the DRM protection
  5. Drop any control over materials already in the users possession
  6. Separate Kindle accounts from Amazon.com accounts
  7. Add user replaceable battery
Old 07-09-2009, 12:40 PM   #45
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
I don't believe the price drop will do much to spur Kindle sales, especially in these times. In order to have a significant, mainstream impact Amazon would have to:
[LIST=1][*]Drop the e-ink screen in favor of hi-density LCD to increase contrast levels, cure the screen flashing problem, give color and backlighting options, and reduce manufacturing cost.
Dropping e-ink means losing the long battery life, which is a large part of the appeal of these readers. And backlighting is a mixed blessing--yes, it reads in the dark, but it's also hard on the eyes for a lot of people.

E-ink is not one of the Kindle's flaws; it does not need to be "fixed." (Faster page turns would be nice. So would color, which will probably come with a $200 price spike for the first year or two it's available. But e-ink itself is a feature, not a bug.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote