Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #46
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroberos View Post
Yeah, you and me both.

The usual suspects, fresh from a couple of other threads in news...
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #47
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Yeah, you and me both.

The usual suspects, fresh from a couple of other threads in news...
You seem to do quite a lot of horse-beating yourself.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #48
sabredog
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh woe. I must go and put myself in the naughty corner for not agreeing with you.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #49
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Now, is it just me, or are these 2 statements mutually exclusive.
The two statements are replies to 2 different posts, and the first one was just a clarification. In the "100 people give their newspapers to 100 other people, or if 1 person gives 100 copies away", the clarification was on the second part, but my second statement in the post goes with "100 people give their newspapers".
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #50
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
The two statements are replies to 2 different posts, and the first one was just a clarification. In the "100 people give their newspapers to 100 other people, or if 1 person gives 100 copies away", the clarification was on the second part, but my second statement in the post goes with "100 people give their newspapers".
I know you were answering two different posts but you are still trying to defend two different arguments with two different (conflicting) reasons.

My point being that if people on your street could just buy 1 newspaper between them and all have access to it at once then they probably would.

The outcome of this is that if it was legal to share books then we would very quickly get a site where 1 person buys a book and shares it with everyone else. So all books would only get bought once at the logical extreme of this.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #51
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I know you were answering two different posts but you are still trying to defend two different arguments with two different (conflicting) reasons.
Actually I wasn't. Read what I wrote in post #35 again.

Quote:
My point being that if people on your street could just buy 1 newspaper between them and all have access to it at once then they probably would.
They don't seem concerned with having access to the newspapers at once.

Quote:
The outcome of this is that if it was legal to share books then we would very quickly get a site where 1 person buys a book and shares it with everyone else. So all books would only get bought once at the logical extreme of this.
Let me tell you about how a library works...
Old 05-16-2012, 04:31 AM   #52
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Let me tell you about how a library works...
1. Each library BUYS a copy of the book.
2. In most western countries, the library PAYS the author every time a book is borrowed.

Neither of these is true with copyright-infringing illegal copying.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:58 AM   #53
sabredog

Oh Oh....

http://www.teleread.com/ebooks/water...en-bookstores/

apocalypse predictions...
Old 05-16-2012, 07:33 AM   #54
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Oh Oh....

http://www.teleread.com/ebooks/water...en-bookstores/

apocalypse predictions...
Same song as ever...

(Above, an editorial cartoon on how canned music is putting musicians out of business)

Last edited by Ninjalawyer; 05-16-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:45 AM   #55
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
1. Each library BUYS a copy of the book.
If you look at what I was replying to, MikeB1972 said "1 person buys a book" (emphasis mine).

Quote:
2. In most western countries, the library PAYS the author every time a book is borrowed.
How many countries is "most"?

Quote:
Neither of these is true with copyright-infringing illegal copying.
If instead of sharing the book with friends, the person donates it to a library does the situation change more than the fact that it would be available to a larger number of people?
Old 05-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #56
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you look at what I was replying to, MikeB1972 said "1 person buys a book" (emphasis mine).
@Sil_LiS
Libraries only allow 1 book to be lent at a time, I was saying only 1 book need be sold ever if we assume file sharing is legal.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #57
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
@Sil_LiS
Libraries only allow 1 book to be lent at a time, I was saying only 1 book need be sold ever if we assume file sharing is legal.
People would still buy books. Webcomics are free but people still buy them in print.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:25 AM   #58
MikeB1972
Gnu

Quote:
People would still buy books. Webcomics are free but people still buy them in print.
People buy them now, but what happens when most of your sales are in eFormat for books/comics/magazines?
Old 05-17-2012, 06:02 AM   #59
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
My belief is that there is a "happy medium" somewhere in the middle that allows consumers to purchase products at a fair price and to own and use them in the way they see fit. The idea of the corporations controlling what I can and cannot do with a product I purchase is way past time for it to be history, like old fish, it's beginning to stink.
I suppose this is one reason why I will always prefer to own or even borrow the printed stuff much of the time. Nobody is tracking where the book is headed after it hits my knapsack. My money, my stuff. Interesting concept.

A dead tree book is technically a "file". When I was about 14-15 my friend and I used to browse used book stores, and actually go halvers on books that were sold for a buck or two (that was ~30 years ago). We'd actuallly co-own the books and just pass it on to each other when we were done.

99% of my e-reading is the free news/web "magazines" I make up from recipes via calibre and/or the public domain materials, occasionally smashwords (although I download a greater percentage of their free offerings than I actually wind up reading).

I actually am one of those people who really DOES like receiving a coffee-stained, well loved, used book for a gift. A book is a book, and the story within isn't changing just because there are dog-ears on pages and stuff. It actually has more meaning. The first book my husband ever bought me is a copy of Pride and Prejudice that cost $3 from a used book store, in 1998. It was well worn even before it hit my hands.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:47 AM   #60
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
@Sil_LiS
Ebook piracy existed long before Amazon started selling ebooks, but Amazon still announces record ebook sales every year. Why aren't people just downloading the pirate ones for free instead? People are also paying money for public domain books like Sherlock Holmes (best selling ebook title on Amazon UK), so it can't just be because of legality.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote