Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-10-2011, 12:50 AM   #1
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony prs505
what would you recommend for an 11 yr old?

I just bought my 11 yr old granddaughter a Kobo ereader for Christmas and I would like to load it with some books for her. She likes vampire books but other than the Twilight Series I have no idea what to get for her. Any suggestions?
artemisblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:23 AM   #2
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
vampire books?

I think I was reading the silver brumby from age eight onwards. And then all the children's detective stories like Famous Five, Nancy Drew etc.

I wanted to read the Excorcist when I was 11, but mum wouldn't let me.

There are loads of fantasy books and readers in here. Hopefully someone in here will help you with something suitable.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:41 AM   #3
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Lemony Snicket is right around that age range, I believe. I just gathered a bunch of recommendations for my now-11-year-old nephew, but they were mostly boys' adventures: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=154835
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:10 AM   #4
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Some of the Rick Riordan books. http://www.kobobooks.com/search/sear...q=Rick+Riordan
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:23 AM   #5
artemisblossom
Groupie
artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.artemisblossom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone I will definately look into some of these for her.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:38 AM   #6
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 8 Plus
I began reading Stephen King when I was 10. Is she likes gore, why not encourage it?
miguel1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Interview with a Vampire by Anne Rice. Very good book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #8
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Not a vampire in sight, but how about the Betsy-Tacy books, especially the high school books (#5-8).

If she likes mysteries, Peter Abrahams's three Echo Falls mysteries are fun, with a 13-year old heroine.
I suggest adding a lot of public domain classics--Dracula, since she likes vampires; and titles like Little Women, Secret Garden, Black Beauty, Anne of Green Gables, etc. Check out the Children's Bookshelf at Project Gutenberg.

Last edited by Catlady; 12-10-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:26 PM   #9
Darnielle
Enthusiast
Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Lemony Snicket is right around that age range, I believe. I just gathered a bunch of recommendations for my now-11-year-old nephew, but they were mostly boys' adventures: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=154835
+1 for Lemony Snicket. These books were so good that I actually revisited the first few recently.

I was a big fan of the Cirque du Freak books when I was a wee 'un. Not sure they're something a girl would enjoy, but they're very good; amazon have the first few pages available to preview if you're interested.
Darnielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #10
artemisblossom
Groupie

thank you i will ch3ck them out
Old 12-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #11
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Maybe the Alchemyst series

http://www.amazon.com/Alchemyst-Secr...3725742&sr=1-6

This one was a free ebook at one time, but that was a few years ago, I don't know if it will happen again.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:41 PM   #12
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Also my 12 year old niece recommended this one to me and I enjoyed it. About a group of orphans who need to save the world (sort of):

Mysterious Benedict Society

http://www.amazon.com/Mysterious-Ben...3725921&sr=1-4

My niece also likes Hunger Games and the Maze Runner. Those are much darker so check them out first.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:17 PM   #13
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Well, I like to reccomend Suzanne Collins' "Gregor the Overlander" books. There aren't any vampires in those, though. Collins' Hunger Games has a female lead but might be a bit dark/advanced for her.

I was reading the late Anne McCaffrey's "Dragonsinger" books (Dragon Singer, Dragon Song) when I was that age. They are about a young girl who finds minature dragons (Fire Lizards) and trains to be a Harper.

Neil Gaiman's Coraline and The Graveyard Book are good for that age group. Stardust, too, probably.

Beth Revis' Across the Universe is quite good. It is Sci Fi about a girl who wakes up early from suspended animation while traveling to another planet to discover there is a whole new civilization that has developed on the ship while she was asleep.

Shannon Hale's "Books of Bayern," which begin with The Goose Girl, are fantasy with good female leads.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:32 PM   #14
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Everything by Diana Wynne Jones. Howl's Moving Castle, the Chrestomanci series. They are excellent. Not vampire--more regular fantasy, Harry Potter-esque.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:43 PM   #15
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
Everything by Diana Wynne Jones. Howl's Moving Castle, the Chrestomanci series. They are excellent. Not vampire--more regular fantasy, Harry Potter-esque.
Yeah, DW Jones is a good suggestion. I wish I could think of some vampire books other than Twilight for her but I think she is too young for Anne Rice or, for that matter, for the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter books. I lost interest in those after the first few books, anyway.

If she is into fantasy and hasn't read the classics, she should. Tolkien and Lewis, of course, but also Le Guin. Le Guin's A Wizard of Earthsea and The Tombs of Atuan are excellent. The first is about a boy who goes to a wizard school that makes Hogwarts look like Pre-K. The second, set in the same world, is about a young girl being raised as a priestess. The wizard from the first book comes into play as well. Great stuff.

Oh, there is also George MacDonald. She might like The Light Princess and also The Priness and Curdie and The Princess and the Goblin. These are in the public domain at Gutenberg.org, so she could eRead them for free.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote