Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-11-2014, 09:57 AM   #1
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Kobo Android application future version request thread

Hello,
This is a thread for requests and comments regarding what you would like to see in future versions of the Kobo Android application.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:41 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I've never checked my Wife's Arc but I was curious as to whether the version there is the same as that one gets from the App store?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2014, 12:06 PM   #3
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I've never checked my Wife's Arc but I was curious as to whether the version there is the same as that one gets from the App store?
If you signed in to a Google Account on the arc then you will be able to update the reading app to the same version that is on the play store, which would be the latest version of the app we have released.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:51 AM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
surely the kobo app that ships on on the arc is meant to auto-update. there should be no extra "if you..." step ever needed ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:28 AM   #5
Sharkus
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
surely the kobo app that ships on on the arc is meant to auto-update. there should be no extra "if you..." step ever needed ?
My understanding is that when you activate / factory reset the device it will install whatever the latest version of the app we have on our (Kobo) servers.

From what I am aware, the Kobo app does not auto-update itself, perhaps that is future functionality that could be added (that's part of the reason for this thread, for such things to be suggested).

I believe the idea is that the app updates would be handled by the Play Store, as that is where non Kobo device users would be going to install / update their app, so there is some logic in this also being where you'd go on a Kobo device.
Advert
Old 06-12-2014, 11:01 AM   #6
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

but when you buy (any) app from google play, that's it - all future updates are automatically pushed to your devices - you never have to go back & check for updates.

as a backup solution, I would expect the "sync" function within the kobo app on the KObo tablet to check for updates whenever it is used ( because that is what the e-ink devices do).

it is very illogical if what you say is true.
consider the case where I have a both kobo aArc tablet & a nexus tablet. The former comes with kobo reader app pre-uninstalled, the latter needs me to go get a free app from Google play.
but from then on the app on the nexus will auto update and the app on the Kobo tablet will fall further & further behind current release - that is crazy, if true ?
Old 06-15-2014, 04:06 PM   #7
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
but when you buy (any) app from google play, that's it - all future updates are automatically pushed to your devices - you never have to go back & check for updates.
Apps from Google Play only update automatically if you have them set to auto update.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:15 PM   #8
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
Hello,
This is a thread for requests and comments regarding what you would like to see in future versions of the Kobo Android application.
At a minimum I need to be able to change justification, fonts, margins, and line spacing. This app gives you the option to choose either serif or sans serif fonts and luckily the sans serif is ok for me.

The worst thing for me is that everything is double spaced and has large margins and I can't change them. There are also large spaces between words because of full justification. Since I need large fonts left justification works best for me. With better formatting options I might use it, but for now I can't. I seem to remember using it in the past, but at some point the huge line spacing started and haven't used it since.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:24 PM   #9
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Considering how some apps are often made worse by updating (hello Google Maps) I don't understand why anyone would want their apps auto updating.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:05 PM   #10
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Considering how some apps are often made worse by updating (hello Google Maps) I don't understand why anyone would want their apps auto updating.
That's exactly why mine don't auto update. Too many apps take a turn for the worst with their "upgrades".
Old 06-16-2014, 12:47 AM   #11
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Apps from Google Play only update automatically if you have them set to auto update.
ok, I guess there's a well hidden setting for disabling auto-update then, but both my android tablets ( google & Amazon) auto update as default.

So maybe that's why the Kobo app on my Kobo tablet auto-updates ( which I'm sure is what it does)
Old 06-16-2014, 12:56 AM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
In the Google Play store on your device go to settings and you can turn off auto updating.

On a Fire, go to settings--->applications--->appstore--->automatic updates
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:55 AM   #13
Sharkus
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
At a minimum I need to be able to change justification, fonts, margins, and line spacing. This app gives you the option to choose either serif or sans serif fonts and luckily the sans serif is ok for me.

The worst thing for me is that everything is double spaced and has large margins and I can't change them. There are also large spaces between words because of full justification. Since I need large fonts left justification works best for me. With better formatting options I might use it, but for now I can't. I seem to remember using it in the past, but at some point the huge line spacing started and haven't used it since.
Thank you for the feedback. I'll certainly pass this along to the team for discussion.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:00 PM   #14
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Better font sizes are needed. On my Nexus 7 this screenprint shows the largest font size I can choose on the sample of Shadowdance By:*Robin W. Bailey. This is much too small for me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1404320349235.jpg
Views:	1049
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	124846
Old 07-02-2014, 01:06 PM   #15
cybmole
Wizard

that is probably not the apps fault - on my Kobo tablet I blow up the font size for most books, within the app, to stupidly large font sizes. I suspect the book itself is locking down the font size, as decreed by publishers. (easy to check / change if you have a version with no DRM )

is that a free sample from kobo store, which others could check on kobo e-reader, to see how it behaves on other devices ?