Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-20-2010, 12:30 AM   #1
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Quick Question: What font(s) does the Kobo use

I did a search for this, but font searching just turns up too many false negatives. Just wondering what font(s) the Kobo uses. Thanks for any help.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:55 AM   #2
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
http://www.koboereader.com/tech-specs.html
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I think the OP wants to know the name of the fonts used for the two available default fonts. The 'Tech Specs' just say 'serif' and 'sans-serif' - which are just very broad font types.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Exactly, serif and sans-serif are meaningless. Already looked at the specs. If anyone knows the names of the fonts, that would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:44 PM   #5
kajoob
kajoob doesn't litterkajoob doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
I did a search for this, but font searching just turns up too many false negatives. Just wondering what font(s) the Kobo uses. Thanks for any help.
I can't find any official documentation anywhere either, but the serif typeface kinda looks like Century Old Style to me, or something close to that.
kajoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 12:39 PM   #6
ninicraftone
ninicraftone began at the beginning.

Over on the goodereader site they have a review of the kobo and in that they claim that the fonts are Georgia and Trebuchet.
ninicraftone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:49 AM   #7
Carpathian
Carpathian began at the beginning.

I can't find a clear answer to this question on the forum:

Can I change these Kobo fonts for epubs I load myself directly or via Calibre (e.g. Gutenberg, Feedbooks, etc.), using other software or file changes? The two Kobo default (hard-wired?) fonts seem too light, i.e. not black and contrasty enough for me. Thanks for any info, tips.
Carpathian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:46 AM   #8
Rothbardian
Rothbardian began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpathian View Post
I can't find a clear answer to this question on the forum:

Can I change these Kobo fonts for epubs I load myself directly or via Calibre (e.g. Gutenberg, Feedbooks, etc.), using other software or file changes? The two Kobo default (hard-wired?) fonts seem too light, i.e. not black and contrasty enough for me. Thanks for any info, tips.
I don't know about Calibre -- the only software I use for editing epubs is Emacs -- but you can just unzip the file, edit the css, add a @font-face directive, and re-zip including the font file(s).
Rothbardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:43 PM   #9
Rothbardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninicraftone View Post
Over on the goodereader site they have a review of the kobo and in that they claim that the fonts are Georgia and Trebuchet.
Can't tell you what they are, but I know what they're not, and they're not those...not even close.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:19 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
From looking through the Australian SD card ROM images, I believe the two fonts are Avenir and Georgia.

This might be the wrong source for the fonts, however these are the fonts included in the images.

Peter
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:38 PM   #11
farrioth
Enthusiast
farrioth began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
The serif font does appear to be Georgia; a PDF with Georgia embedded looks the same on the Kobo as an EPUB of the same text. However, The PDF on the Kobo looks different to the same PDF on my desktop. This is especially noticeable in the italic miniscules. I suspect this may be the result of using a different rendering engine. I haven't looked into the sans serif.
farrioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:35 PM   #12
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
From looking through the Australian SD card ROM images, I believe the two fonts are Avenir and Georgia.

This might be the wrong source for the fonts, however these are the fonts included in the images.

Peter
We have a winner! Those are indeed the two fonts on the Kobo Reader.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:52 PM   #13
slantybard
my parent's oops...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
Thanks for the confirmation. When I read your post I had this image of you lurking in this thread since I began it, just waiting to see what the guesses would be and how long it took for someone to come up with the right answer.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:11 AM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
I'll drop by the office to claim my prize!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:25 AM   #15
Rothbardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrioth View Post
The serif font does appear to be Georgia; a PDF with Georgia embedded looks the same on the Kobo as an EPUB of the same text. However, The PDF on the Kobo looks different to the same PDF on my desktop. This is especially noticeable in the italic miniscules. I suspect this may be the result of using a different rendering engine. I haven't looked into the sans serif.
Interesting. Georgia on my computer doesn't look like the Kobo font, either; but JCKobo says that's what it is, sooo...