Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 11-24-2009, 03:09 PM   #16
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahlquist View Post
My wife is they type who expects something to "just work" out of box and not have a huge workaround learning curve.
The best "just works" Reader is the Kindle 2. It has limitations, but a steep learning curve isn't one of them.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:30 PM   #17
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
EZ Reader Pocket PRO is easy to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The best "just works" Reader is the Kindle 2. It has limitations, but a steep learning curve isn't one of them.
Dear All:

Wallcraft is vert smart and I rarely disagree with him.

I work for Astak so I am likely biased.

But, I think one of the best things about the Pocket PRO is the numbers matching interface. Most reviewers tell me that they never needed to read the instructions... they found that simply matching numbered buttons to what is on the menu was pretty straight forward.

Plus, the weight of the Pocket PRO (under 6 ounces) and the size (fits in a lady's clutch purse) PLUS the ultra bright display... all make it a "just works" device. AND... let us face it... the Kindle 2 collection of 30 buttons on the bottom does not rank it as "intuitive" and non-worrisome to a new user.

With all respect for Wallcraft, I think the Pocket PRO is ideal for a new user.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2009, 05:24 PM   #18
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini, Nook Glowlight 2, Kobo Forma
My only real regret is that the purple is a very pink-purple.

I would agree with Robertb that the PP is a very "works out of the box" product. All the issues I've had with mine have been my own fault for fiddling with it. (Mine likes to talk to me in Ukrainian every so often now...)

I also love that Robertb is right here and can answer questions and stuff in a timely manner.
Ladyrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:42 PM   #19
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
AND... let us face it... the Kindle 2 collection of 30 buttons on the bottom does not rank it as "intuitive" and non-worrisome to a new user..
If that user has never seen a keyboard before, they shouldn't be using any device.

I can just imagine this "new user" wringing their hands in worry, and confusion as they stare at that strange keyboard...

Last edited by Donnageddon; 11-24-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:22 PM   #20
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
I just received my Pocket Pro a few days ago and I love it! Not only do I love it but my partner does as well and we've ordered another one! As for reading PDF's, I find it reads them perfectly, at least the ones I've tried so far. I also put a .lit file on last night and while it took a long time to open once it was open it seemed to work ok. So no complaints there so far either.

I have yet to read the instruction book as it all is very easy to use. I definitely don't regret purchasing either one of them!
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2009, 07:34 PM   #21
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
If that user has never seen a keyboard before, they shouldn't be using any device.

I can just imagine this "new user" wringing their hands in worry, and confusion as they stare at that strange keyboard...
It is a pretty funny comment when the Astak device requires an entire computer to operate. 104 strange keys plus this weird mouse thing. (That is, unless you are loading an SD card with books and sending the card to your mother as one user here is doing. )

The Kindle is much more an out-of-the-box product than the Astak ... however, they aren't really competing. As Robert points out, the Astak is smaller, lighter, and has a better battery life (in addition to supporting more free content "out of the box").
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:20 PM   #22
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganK View Post
It is a pretty funny comment when the Astak device requires an entire computer to operate. 104 strange keys plus this weird mouse thing. (That is, unless you are loading an SD card with books and sending the card to your mother as one user here is doing. )

The Kindle is much more an out-of-the-box product than the Astak ... however, they aren't really competing. As Robert points out, the Astak is smaller, lighter, and has a better battery life (in addition to supporting more free content "out of the box").
Most people need some sort of transportation or communication device to buy a "Dead Tree" book. Does that make a "Dead Tree" book deficient?

You only need to have access to a computer to Load books, not to Read books.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:35 PM   #23
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate
ThomasMcKean doesn't litterThomasMcKean doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegeus View Post
This is my first device so I can't compare it to another brand. However, I can say I was expecting a better device for this amount of money; and it's mostly because of the software.

I do appreciate the efforts the producer company is putting on this device, especially it's a big plus for customer satisfaction for Robert to be here as the live representative. A customer always likes to be heard by the producer, and here it is.

However the software has a long way to go; and I can't understand how small issues can not be get rid of like bookmark problem, like .lit support or like more font sizes in every format; I believe these should not be big problems for a big company who tries to sell this device to whole world.

Everything is in the details; take for example the unwanted flash animation on the Astak website or the lack of release history for the firmware updates.

What I understand from the forum messages so far is that Astak in fact knows what we want from this device and they are trying to do so; however there's something going in "the factory" and they don't comply with whatever Astak tells them and apply their own agenda. I don't know whose fault is this but it is obvious that the "the factory" does not respond as it should. So we will still have these problems as long as the cooperation problem between Astak and "the factory" continues. May be Astak should employ it's own software programmers for the firmware instead of fighting with "the factory", I don't know.

The result is that I don't regret buying this device; but there's still too many things to do for sure.
Dude! High five! *Smack* I totally agree 100% with everything yew just said!
ThomasMcKean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:13 PM   #24
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
I've had the Pocket Pro for a couple of months now, and having had the Gen3 and the PRS-500 before this, My observations are probably going to be reference to them.

Firstly, right off the bat to answer the main question, I have no regrets on getting this device. Of all the ones on the market right now its size, features and flexibility are what suit me best. SO Now lets get into the details of what I like and What I think can be improved.

Likes -

* Format support - The number of formats supported are great fro me as I usually don''t have to think whether a book or document is in a particular format as they will usually work, though some are better then others.

* SDHC - I love the support for High capicity SDHC cards as I can Have my entire Library on it without having to pick and choose. That bring it to my Next point.

* Folder Support - Though a Bit basic the folder support is aboon for someone like me who like to organise his books in mu own way, and as such just prefer to move the same structure onto my reader. As My Metadata may not be completely correct or inconsistent, I prefer to go to the file itself. The lack of Folder support was complet pain on my Gen 3.

* Recently Read - The Recently read shortcut in the main menu is blessing as I often like to read 4-5 books at the same time, depending on my mood. The Gen3's Lack of such a feature, and the time it took to navigate to another book in a large library often had me just not reading when I had a small break as I did not want to spend half my time just getting to the book I wanted to read. The Sony PRS series is better about this with a unified Bookmarks folder which works similarly to the PP.

* Size and Built - After the gen3, where I was always wary of it breaking, after seeing all the posts about screen fractures here and the way in which it felt Delicate, its Nice to have Solid reader like the PP. It feels A lot more solid and rigid in my hand, and coupled with its sturdy case is almost always with me when I go out. The Smaller size is also a benefit as it will now fit in more of my Coat pockets, meaning that I'm more likely to take it with me if I'm not planing to carry a bag.

Dislikes (Or more correctly what I'll like them to fix)

* Bookmarking - I wish bookmarking was consistent across all the formats. Having to use different methods on different formats is pain, especially when like me you don't want to think about the format, but just want the content.

* Folder Navigation - While I live having folder navigation, I'll like to have it have a few more features. As with the gen3, if you have a lot of books in the same folder, navigating to a book 50-60 pages don the list is a pain. While You can Jump ten pages at a time (Something I wish was mentioned more prominently) What I'll like is a feature that the Sony's have had since the PRS-500, namely the ability to jump to a certain letter of the alphabet. If we could jump to, say all books starting with the letter H, etc navigation could improve a lot.

* File formats - While Most major formats are supported natively, I wish the implementation on some of them was improved.

A Few weeks ago, I'll have had a major one in my Dislikes column, namely the Poor battery life with the device only lasting 3-4 days on a single charge, but that issue has been fixed with the recent firmware upgrade. Since applying that upgrade, I've not run into any power issues, with the reader usually being only down a bar or so in the week before I charged it before a trip.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:06 AM   #25
rahlquist
Enthusiast
rahlquist is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook Color (ICS)
Quote:
From what I have seen I would have to say depending on a persons swing you may be right, however I am not a fan of how Amazon is handling the Kindle, licensing etc so I will not send money their way as a vote of support. Mind you, I have been an Amazon customer since they had a customer base so small they could afford to send their customers Christmas presents...
rahlquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:09 AM   #26
rahlquist
Enthusiast
rahlquist is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook Color (ICS)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
A Few weeks ago, I'll have had a major one in my Dislikes column, namely the Poor battery life with the device only lasting 3-4 days on a single charge, but that issue has been fixed with the recent firmware upgrade. Since applying that upgrade, I've not run into any power issues, with the reader usually being only down a bar or so in the week before I charged it before a trip.

It's good to see this is fixed. A few years ago the idea of something like this lasting days was awesome, now 3-4 is not enough ahh what will our kids think!?
rahlquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:48 AM   #27
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Maybe, but it's ugly as hell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
But, I think one of the best things about the Pocket PRO is the numbers matching interface. Most reviewers tell me that they never needed to read the instructions... they found that simply matching numbered buttons to what is on the menu was pretty straight forward.

Plus, the weight of the Pocket PRO (under 6 ounces) and the size (fits in a lady's clutch purse) PLUS the ultra bright display... all make it a "just works" device. AND... let us face it... the Kindle 2 collection of 30 buttons on the bottom does not rank it as "intuitive" and non-worrisome to a new user.

With all respect for Wallcraft, I think the Pocket PRO is ideal for a new user.
It's not so much the keyboard as what the keyboard implies. When I read a book, I want to have a device that does just that. I'd like an option to make bookmarks (highlights would be preferable, but those require a touchscreen), but I'll use a real keyboard for texts. I agree with Robert that you don't need a manual to start reading on it. Numbers are just fine for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganK View Post

Right. So, let's say I bought a Kindle. How do you think I'd put those 100's of books I already have on it? Or those books I want to download from this site? Or those books I buy at BoB or FW? Have they finally implemented a wifi on the Kindle?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:23 AM   #28
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
So, let's say I bought a Kindle. How do you think I'd put those 100's of books I already have on it? Or those books I want to download from this site? Or those books I buy at BoB or FW? Have they finally implemented a wifi on the Kindle?
The Kindle has always supported "side-loading" via USB. This is exactly the same approach that all other EInk readers use to get content on the device. It can read DRM-free MOBI ebooks, and Calibre can convert many ebook formats to MOBI (and Amazon has an e-mail service to do the same).

I no longer even turn on my Kindle 1. I just use its existence to allow me to buy Kindle ebooks, which I download to my PC. When I was using it routinely, I did use the 3G to download ebooks from Amazon because it was so convenient but transferring ebooks via USB is simple enough.

The primary reason I say that Kindles are easy to use is that they are designed to only accept two formats (TOPAZ and MOBI) which they display exactly the same way for all ebooks. The way they are displayed would not be my choice (wide margins, with a header and a footer), but it is consistent. Similarly the lack of folders may make file navigation painful for large collections, but it simplifies the interface. The Pocket Pro provides more features and more flexibility, but the user interface and how ebooks are displayed is not completely consistent across ebook types.

The recent addition of PDF to the Kindle 2 is a move away from simplicity, and note that all it provides for PDFs is a single portrait and a single landscape view - both of which are on the Pocket Pro with the addition of four levels of reflow.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:37 AM   #29
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
The Kindle has always supported "side-loading" via USB. This is exactly the same approach that all other EInk readers use to get content on the device. It can read DRM-free MOBI ebooks, and Calibre can convert many ebook formats to MOBI (and Amazon has an e-mail service to do the same).
Oh, I know all that, what I meant was, it isn't an advantage to a lot of people. Just because they don't buy at Amazon and/or they (also) get books from other sources.

If you limit yourself to the selection of Amazon (though limit might not a good word, considering Amazon does have a huge selection), yes, the Kindle might be a good reader for a novice ereader. If not, the wireless capability (which I assume LoganK means as opposed to using a pc) is meaningless.

Also, I'm European based. Not US based. I can't think of any Dutch shop that sells mobipocket books. Everything is in epub over here (with some PDF). So unless you only read English books, the Kindle is a horrible solution to most (non-English speaking) Europeans.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:12 AM   #30
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
In an earlier post of mine on this thread I said my PP had no problems opening a .lit file... while that must have been a fluke because the next time I tried it froze the entire device and I had to reset it... so um, yeah, I'd love to see the .lit problems fixed but still love the device and don't regret getting it for a minute!

Oh and speaking of Amazon, you can only buy ebooks off there if you have a Kindle right?
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote