Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-16-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
simonb
simonb began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4
Sending books to Kindle 4

I have used calibre successfully about a month ago. When I came back today to send more books to my device I get the following error message.

(21, 'GetDiskFreeSpace', 'The device is not ready.')

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 82, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 412, in _upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 256, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 1010, in _sanity_check
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 175, in free_space
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 138, in _windows_space
error: (21, 'GetDiskFreeSpace', 'The device is not ready.')

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling calibre, going back to the version previously used, using different USB port, charging and restarting Kindle. Can download from Amazon with USB. Any advice appreciated. Be aware I am computer novice. I have Windows 7 Home Premium.
simonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Have you, perhaps, disconnected your Kindle from your PC without using the "Safely Remove Hardware" tool, and thereby corrupted the Kindle's file system?

Do a scan of the Kindle's drive and let it fix any errors that it finds.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
simonb

Thanks, I have McAfee and the scan didn't bring up any issues. Also I sent a book to my Kindle from my Amazon Library without problems.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonb View Post
Thanks, I have McAfee and the scan didn't bring up any issues. Also I sent a book to my Kindle from my Amazon Library without problems.
No, not a virus scan. A file system scan.

Open Windows Explorer. Right click on the Kindle drive and select "Properties". Select the "Tools" tab of the Properties dialogue. Click "Check for Errors".
Old 06-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
simonb

OK, That didn't bring up a problem. Still won't work, however.
Advert
Old 06-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'd recommend that you ask in the Calibre forum, in that case, given that the problem appears to be specific to Calibre.