Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-03-2009, 05:37 PM   #31
ahammer
cybershark
ahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it is

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
I can edit the site preferences to :

Identify as Opera
Identify as Firefox
Identify as IE
Mask as Firefox
Mask as IE
chrome has this too(have to for some pages on come too..
I can also tell it im running on a diffrent os)
Quote:

But my main gripe is that with a browser that has been here for so long, and who have brought such innovation, why many companies who make a living on the internet turn a blind eye to them, but will heartily adopt a new browser that isn't even out of beta. (meaning Chrome, which is version .2)

Honestly, I really shouldnt have to mask or tweak my browser just to go to a site. I am glad for the option, but still. I will simply not be using their services.
so is gmail is in beta to.
it just shows how good google is at selling adds.
ahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:48 PM   #32
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
I have gmail, and I just checked. It used to say GMail Beta, but now it says GMail, powered by Google, so apparently it is no longer in beta stage.

With Google, it's both Good and Bad.

It's like Microsoft. That have good products, but now they are getting their hands into everywhere, like a hyper 2-yr old. "gimme gimme gimme, mine mine mine". I'd like to see them concentrate on few things, and do them well. They will end up doing so many things, and each item on its own fill fall to pot, except for the very very few they concentrate on.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 05:49 PM   #33
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
It's like Microsoft. That have good products, but now they are getting their hands into everywhere, like a hyper 2-yr old. "gimme gimme gimme, mine mine mine".
Now?!? They've been like this for several decades already.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:50 PM   #34
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
But my main gripe is that with a browser that has been here for so long, and who have brought such innovation, why many companies who make a living on the internet turn a blind eye to them, but will heartily adopt a new browser that isn't even out of beta. (meaning Chrome, which is version .2)
Opera might be great and all, but no one uses it. As long as they have been around they have got 0 traction. So, yea I can very much understand it being ignored.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:57 PM   #35
ahammer
cybershark
ahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it is

Device: none
Quote:
I have gmail, and I just checked. It used to say GMail Beta, but now it says GMail, powered by Google, so apparently it is no longer in beta stage.
It just got out of beta a few months ago. my point is that google like keeping things in beta long after most people would have made it a RC.

got to says v .1 was realy bad. v .2 never had any issue with.

it is just as good as any other broswer at this point. given google track record v1 will be out in 2019
ahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 06:03 PM   #36
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
Now?!? They've been like this for several decades already.
heheh.. let me switch pronouns with proper nouns...

Google is like Microsoft... Google has good products, but....etc...

Sorry for the confusion
Old 09-03-2009, 06:09 PM   #37
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
heheh.. let me switch pronouns with proper nouns...

Google is like Microsoft... Google has good products, but....etc...

Sorry for the confusion
Ahhh. Gotcha. In that case, yeah, I generally agree.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:11 PM   #38
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Opera might be great and all, but no one uses it. As long as they have been around they have got 0 traction. So, yea I can very much understand it being ignored.

BOb
Yeah, and I don't understand it. The only downside that I have ever had with opera is that it doesnt use ActiveX, or at least it didnt for the longest time (it might now, not quite sure).

That caused some problems with sites who required ActiveX.

But Opera is small, versatile, very customizable, moreso than any browser I have used before. Chrome is way too minimalistic for me. Firefox is OK, but I'm not too fond of how certain functions work in that browser. I always switch back to Opera.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:46 PM   #39
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
They were pay for way after the competition went free, they are closed source when some of the competition got their starts by people pushing it because it was open, and never been bundled with anything. Not to mention they've largely relied on word of mouth. I can keep going
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:51 PM   #40
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?

Odd. I've never bought any of the browsers. I hadn't realized they had an paid-upgrade options. Oh wait. Yeah, I think I remember having a browser ad in the title bar somewhere. I think I found a crack for it, though, that's why i don't remember it well oopsie.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:23 AM   #41
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Griffon, both netscape and opera used to be pay for. No pay upgrade, but pay to get it in the first place. Netscape went free in the mid ninties, but it was 2000 before Opera had a free option, but with those ads you remember. It didn't go completely ad free until 2005.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:57 AM   #42
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Lynx forever!

(Erm. Perhaps my geekiness is a bit too retro at times.)
Not at all! Lynx is perfect when I need to access some online journal from home... I can ssh to the university and use Lynx there
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:54 PM   #43
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Lynx forever!

(Erm. Perhaps my geekiness is a bit too retro at times. And someday, I'll convince my husband that pine is just not the best email program anymore.)
I remember, remember the Pine client! Unbelievable! 1995!

However, lynx...it is an atrocity. I had to install it a few month ago and I had actually edit manually! some file so lynx could access the Internet via local proxy.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote