Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-08-2009, 07:29 AM   #1
DudeInLondon
DudeInLondon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (soon)
Where to buy Sony PRS 505 in London ?

I'm currently in London and will fly back to Berlin on Wednesday..

I'm interested in purchasing a Sony 505 Reader here, but probably at a retail shop. What's the best deal at this time ?

I saw some at Waterstone for 230 pounds - which is significantly higher then the 180 pounds at some internet stores.

Any hints appreciated, thanks in advance!
DudeInLondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:34 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The main retail outlets are John Lewis, Sony Stores, and Waterstones.

Might be worth trying the electronics shops along Tottenham Court Road.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2009, 09:04 AM   #3
BubbleBoy
BubbleBoy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Prs-505
hi
try this:
http://www.currys.co.uk
you can to find a shop
or other online shop:
http://www.thelink.co.uk - £ 199.99 Free Next Day Delivery
( Voucher Code: AW2 Discount : £4.00)

Last edited by BubbleBoy; 03-08-2009 at 09:25 AM.
BubbleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:06 PM   #4
DudeInLondon

Thanks Harry, Thanks BubbleBoy,

200 pounds is a good price, but I don't think I will be available all day for receiving a packet on tuesday, so retail-shop is probably better. Why is it that online shops have prices around 180 pounds and retail stores are way above (like in 225 or 230 pounds) ?

I'll probably check out retail stores around tottenham court road tomorrow.

thanks for your help,
Old 03-08-2009, 02:38 PM   #5
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
If you are flying back from LHR T5, the Sony shop had them in stock the other day for £194 I think. You can call them and check the price and get them to hold one for you.

+44 (0)330 440 4050 on the BAA portal - sure I had an 020 number the other day. Can't find it though

If I was you, I'd pay the extra and get it from John Lewis. The have exclusive UK access to the red ones, and they are the best! IMHO
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjbrown View Post
The have exclusive UK access to the red ones, and they are the best!
Pffft! Everyone knows the blue ones are the best.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:23 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeInLondon View Post
Thanks Harry, Thanks BubbleBoy,

200 pounds is a good price, but I don't think I will be available all day for receiving a packet on tuesday, so retail-shop is probably better. Why is it that online shops have prices around 180 pounds and retail stores are way above (like in 225 or 230 pounds) ?

I'll probably check out retail stores around tottenham court road tomorrow.

thanks for your help,
Some of the price difference will be due to the fact that online stores generally quote prices which exclude VAT (15%), whereas retail outlets always include VAT in the displayed price.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:15 AM   #8
sheppy124
sheppy124 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs505
If not already got one, have noticed argos do them as well for £225, havent looked at them for a while, and a bit surprised with the increase in price.
sheppy124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:16 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheppy124 View Post
If not already got one, have noticed argos do them as well for £225, havent looked at them for a while, and a bit surprised with the increase in price.
Exchange-rate changes, most likely. All the devices sold in the UK seem to have increased in price over the last few months.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:05 AM   #10
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjbrown View Post
If you are flying back from LHR T5, the Sony shop had them in stock the other day for £194 I think. You can call them and check the price and get them to hold one for you.
That's what my parents did when they were flying out earlier this year & got a reasonable discount off the high-street price.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:32 AM   #11
DudeInLondon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Might be worth trying the electronics shops along Tottenham Court Road.
That's what I did. Bought it £199 at 'Sony centre gallery' - which is a quite reasonable price. I tried getting other retailers into matching the price, but no luck there.

I later found it for £194 at Gatwick airport (including VAT, i think)

Anyway, thanks for the help. I really like the device
Old 03-25-2009, 02:36 PM   #12
bookstar
Noobie
bookstar began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I purchased mine across the road from Selfridges, the small Waterstones shop. Selfridges book deptartment was sold out. Waterstones charged £229 I believe. That particular Waterstones only had silver. They had not heard of a blue or red version. The only knew about different coloured covers.

Last edited by bookstar; 03-25-2009 at 04:49 PM.
bookstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:41 PM   #13
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
As far as I know:
Waterstone's sells only silver Readers. Red model is sold exclusively by John Lewis. Blue model is not available in UK.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:33 PM   #14
bookstar
Noobie
bookstar began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
As far as I know:
Waterstone's sells only silver Readers. Red model is sold exclusively by John Lewis. Blue model is not available in UK.
I was not aware of this, cheers for that info.
bookstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
505, buy, london, retail, sony