Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-02-2016, 02:42 AM   #1
marp68
Addict
marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
nickel nightmode patch not working after installing koreader etc

So, I installed KSM8, KOreader and Coolreader. Works okej.

But now, when using nickel, the nightmode tweak doesn't work anymore. I checked the nightmode.ini file and it seems okej

[brightness]
1percentPatch = yes
timeout = 1
100 = toggleNightMode

EDIT 4 Summing:
I reinstalled kobo-nightmode_build13H2O by copying the KoboRoot.tgz to the .kobo folder and let the device reboot. KSM showed up and I used the Handle update function, rebooted and entered Nickel, conncected to PC, change the ini file according to my preferencies, rebooted again, entered nickel through KSM.

But nightmode still doesn't function when sliding brightness to 100 %, as it worked before.

Since it worked before installing KSM8, KOreader or coolreader, it must have beenone of these that might have caused the nighmode patch kobo-"nightmode_build13H2O" for nickel not to work?

WHat can I do? I'm completely lost and have tried a lot of things now.

Last edited by marp68; 09-02-2016 at 05:54 AM.
marp68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 05:47 AM   #2
marp68
Addict
marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

I just deleted the KOreader and Coolreader files in the KSM8 .adds folder and then uninstalled KSM8 according to instructions. Seemed okej. But even after installing the nightmode patch again, it still doesn't work. KSM8 must have destroyed something.

Any recommendations? I really need nightmode option.
Advert
Old 09-03-2016, 08:03 AM   #3
Ksquared
Groupie
Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Original Kobo Aura 6", Libra H2O
Did you try uninstalling nightmode before you reinstalled?
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:24 AM   #4
marp68
Addict

At first no, just reinstalled. But then yes, since I read that it could have some effect.

I saw that someone mentioned that all text after # dissapeared and only the code should stay after rebooting. In the nightmode.ini file I still have all text, both code and reference text. As I recall I also only had the code after installing. Haven't it maybe been installed correctly then if the reference text is still there
Old 09-03-2016, 08:28 AM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
The total "change"/addition to the code that nickel uses, is the following:

# ---------------- Tshering: insert menu begin
ksmroot=/adds/kbmenu
export ksmroot
installUpdate="TRUE"
if [ "$isarmhf" == "TRUE" ] && [ "$(sh $ksmroot/onstart/checkinstall.sh)" == "ok" ]; then

checkscript=$(sh -n $ksmroot/onstart/ksmhome.sh 2>&1)
if [ "$checkscript" == "" ]; then
$ksmroot/onstart/ksmhome.sh &
exit
fi

fi
# ---------------- Tshering: insert menu end

And for the USB:

# ---- Tshering start
if [ ! -e /bin/kobo_config.sh ]; then
PRODUCT="trilogy"
else
# ---- Tshering end
PRODUCT=`/bin/kobo_config.sh`;
# ---- Tshering start
fi
export PRODUCT
# ---- Tshering end

[ $PRODUCT != trilogy ] && PREFIX=$PRODUCT-

MODULE_LOADED=`lsmod | grep -c g_file_storage`

VENDOR_ID=0x2237

PLATFORM=freescale
if [ `dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512 skip=1024 count=1 | grep -c "HW CONFIG"` == 1 ]; then
CPU=`ntx_hwconfig -s -p /dev/mmcblk0 CPU`
PLATFORM=$CPU-ntx
fi

if [ $PLATFORM != freescale ] && [ ! -e /etc/u-boot/$PLATFORM/u-boot.mmc ]; then
PLATFORM=ntx508
# ---- Tshering end

Not seeing where it would likely impact a nightmode patch.

Luck;
Ken

P.S.; Is a patch with H2O in its name, supposed to work on your Glo HD?
P.P.S.; Does the Nightmode provided by KSM not work?

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 09-03-2016 at 09:14 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2016, 08:32 AM   #6
marp68
Addict

Me neither, but since it has worked flawlessly so far and stopped working after installing KSM8, KOreader and Coolreader, I think that it must have something to do with it.

But since I tried to reinstall it after removing KSM etc and it's still not working, I will have to make a factory reset and try again.

Thanks anyway
Old 09-03-2016, 01:54 PM   #7
marp68
Addict

After doing a factory reset and reinstalling the nighmode patch (build13H20) the nightmode now works again.

But, I reinstalled KSM8 and then the nightmode doesn't work again. Even tried with uninstalling the nightmode patch with the uninstall .tgz file and then reinstalled it, but with no success.

Seems that KSM8 stops nightmode to work. If anyone comes up with a working solution, please let me know.

Will post in the KSM8 thread as well

Last edited by marp68; 09-03-2016 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:46 AM   #8
marp68
Addict

Heureka!

Found this, but first I thought that it only applied to KSM mode, but when I tried nightmode on nickel (after installing KSM8 again), the nightmode toggle worked again. I'm using nightmode_build13H20,though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
In order to install the night mode hack and the screensaver hack just follow the usual procedure (copy the KoboRoot.tgz to .kobo). Both packages contain install routines that are superfluous when used with KSM, but that must not bother you.
The referred version of the screen saver seems not to work under FW 3.13.1. (Edit: for FW 3.15.0 and newer use the screen saver version you can findhere.)

Since update 2 (of KSM 07), there is a configuration manu available.
In order to enable the screensaver hack select in (KSM home) "configure", in the section [nickel]:
nickelpreload="/opt/cfw/preload/hook.so"
to enable night mode:
nickelpreload="/root/screenInv.so"
to enable both:
nickelpreload="/opt/cfw/preload/hook.so /root/screenInv.so"
I recommend this to be included in the installation instructions for KSM8, since there are a lot of people using nightmode in nickel

Great work all you developers in this forum. Thanks