Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-05-2016, 12:52 PM   #1
Snowsride
Snowsride began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Calibre does not detect Android Kindle books

My Kindle has died so I'm using the Amazon Kindle app on an Android phone.

Calibre recognises my phone but does not detect any books although I have a number of recent downloads from the Kindle eBookshop.

I can find a a folder named com.amazon.kindle on my phone and under files there are several recent folders but none seem to contain compatible files?

Any help appreciated.
Snowsride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:48 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Download your kindle books through the amazon website via Manage my content to your computer. That's the only way you can be sure of getting actual ebook files.

As for finding books on the device, calibre will only find books in a known ebook format, in the case of amazon, mobi, azw or azw3/4 file extensions.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2016, 11:19 PM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Most books downloaded by Kindle for Android these days are in the incompatible KFX format. Some books will still be delivered in MOBI or KF8 format, but these are stored by K4A with a .prc extension. I don't know how calibre deals with that. Also, DRM can be problematic.

Hopefully you still have your Kindle registered with Amazon. Even broken it is useful since it allows you to use the method Kovid described above to download books from Amazon.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:40 AM   #4
Snowsride
Snowsride began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle does not tecognise books

Thanks for the advice re.kzw files. I think my Kindle needs a new battery which I'm going to try to replace shortly.
Snowsride is offline   Reply With Quote