Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-27-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
KF Android 4.0 Pre-Release Version

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817...069TX1K0001121

I'll let the more technical folks here evaluate this. I'll just share the news.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I saw this on BGR.com earlier today. Looks pretty complex and it is a pre-alpha release. I'll pass.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 08:26 PM   #3
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
KF Android 4.0 in our future? I think so. When Amazon built the Fire they were looking forward to the future. Expect to see an official Amazon KF release somewhere in the future based on Ice Cream Sandwich.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

http://iloveandroid.co.in/2012/01/16...e-kindle-fire/

Not sure if this is similiar to the Pre-Release routine but have a look see.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
Morpheus Phreak
Wielder of Hammers
Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle Keyboard & Kindle Fire
This isn't a pre-release anything. This is a modified ICS build created by a community user purely for folks that want to run something other than the default OS on the Fire.

That said, I do hope Amazon gives us some fairly frequent updates to keep up to par.
Morpheus Phreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
What difference does it make if KF gets to ICS?
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:02 PM   #7
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrodad View Post
Great apps, and REALLY REALLY good ones at that. None of the very crappy quality ones we have now (okay, some are great).
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:04 PM   #8
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
I don't see how an updated OS is going to magically increase the quality of the apps.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:31 AM   #9
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't see how an updated OS is going to magically increase the quality of the apps.

Adobe Touch apps for example. :P. And ALL of them run on the Fire under ICS (and yes, I did flash the ROM to mine :roll eyes: and it's AWESOME!!!! No problems here so far).
Old 01-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #10
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I am just not ready to do that if Amazon abandons us and does not do any more updates then more than likely I will flash and walk away from Amazon.
I really like the fire and it is doing all that I was wanting it to do at this time.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #11
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post

Adobe Touch apps for example. :P. And ALL of them run on the Fire under ICS (and yes, I did flash the ROM to mine :roll eyes: and it's AWESOME!!!! No problems here so far).
So Adobe Touch isnt available if you root and add the android market? it requires ICS?
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #12
Morpheus Phreak
Wielder of Hammers
Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Quote:
I would say it makes a difference in the warranty, the stable operation of the device, and the ability to make full use of all of the functions that are included on a non-modified Fire.

I'm not saying I'm not ok with modding devices (heck I've modified almost every device I own in one way or another), but that this isn't a pre-release of anything for the Fire. It's simply a modified distro of ICS that can be installed.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #13
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
So Adobe Touch isnt available if you root and add the android market? it requires ICS?
They require Honeycomb and above. So no, the stock Kindle ROM won't run it since the APIs are more robust. Something I've noticed since installing ICS is that the screen is more comfortable to look at. The toolbar at the bottom is a lot thinner too.

When the Kindle Fire can already be flashed the latest and greatest OS version to date, being two generations behind, it means a lot. Amazon may or may not upgrade it until Honeycomb is stable, which is the next best thing for it. But by the time that happens, a new version of the device would have come out and the current abandoned for just minor updates.

But you can guarantee that there'll always be a community of people making updates for it, even five years from now. That is the true brilliance of open source and hacking in general.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #14
robertc88
Fanatic

Jessica,

Did you fasten a holder around your KF or something? Mine is black all the way round, yours seems to have metal/chrome borders around the device.

It looks more like my Acer A500 than the KF.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #15
Morpheus Phreak
Wielder of Hammers

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
Jessica,

Did you fasten a holder around your KF or something? Mine is black all the way round, yours seems to have metal/chrome borders around the device.

It looks more like my Acer A500 than the KF.
That's because the photo doesn't show a Kindle Fire. That's a stock image showing an unnamed device running Adobe Touch apps. It's from the press kit that Adobe used for the announcement.