Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 05-24-2010, 06:35 AM   #16
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
This was the first book ever I read by Jules Verne.
In the beginning, I did not think I would want to finish it, but after forcing myself to read into it for a while, it became more interesting, even to the point that I did not want to put it down.

It struck me as a bit unusual that the men did not have disagreements now and then - everybody was friendly all the time, nobody tried to break out of the team, there was no struggle to change the hierarchy (with the engineer always staying at the top) even after living together for several years in a small group, confined to the island.

What annoyed me a little bit was the fact that the men not so much were willing to live WITH the nature they found, but rather that they wanted to change everything, make themselves the masters of the island. At least that was the feeling I had, but I realize of course that the book was written in a different time, a time were people were feeling very positiv towards technological progress.

Anyhow, I am glad I read the book (would never have done it without MR ), but I am not rushing to pick up the next one by this author.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:22 PM   #17
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I was amazed by how many of the characters could feel that "[n]othing more is now wanting to our island" even though there were no women there. If the oft quoted statistics are true, only 10% of them would have been satisfied in that state. Of course, it's always possible that they only planned their prison escape with like-minded friends.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 05-24-2010 at 12:28 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:45 PM   #18
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lila55 View Post
What annoyed me a little bit was the fact that the men not so much were willing to live WITH the nature they found, but rather that they wanted to change everything, make themselves the masters of the island. At least that was the feeling I had, but I realize of course that the book was written in a different time, a time were people were feeling very positiv towards technological progress.
This bothered me too. They always seemed to be saying, "Look! A new animal! Let's kill it and eat it!" Of course, when I read this book as a teenager in the early 1970's, I don't remember this being a concern for me. I suspect it's more a by-product of our changing times. We're more aware of environmental issues now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Of course, it's always possible that they only planned their prison escape with like-minded friends.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:44 AM   #19
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Where was the loo in the Granite House? Given that it was difficult to enter and exit. Did they perhaps use the scary hole that Top kept barking at? I am only up to Chapter 2 in part 2 so maybe I will find out.

I also was a bit annoyed about them having to kill every animal they found. They also complained of not keeping warm during that first winter, but they managed to kill foxes for bait? They also killed the seals for the fat for Cyrus' works. Seal fur is supposed to be very warm isn't it? They seemed to be looking for bear fur instead.

Oh well I must be off the read another chapter to catch up.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:20 AM   #20
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
Where was the loo in the Granite House? Given that it was difficult to enter and exit. Did they perhaps use the scary hole that Top kept barking at? I am only up to Chapter 2 in part 2 so maybe I will find out.
I don't remember any mention of latrines or anything else to do with waste disposal. They mention getting running water into the cave, but not where they sent the overflow.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:36 AM   #21
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I don't remember any mention of latrines or anything else to do with waste disposal. They mention getting running water into the cave, but not where they sent the overflow.
Maybe Verne was planning a sequel: "How the Islanders Went: The Untold Story."
Old 05-25-2010, 01:39 PM   #22
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Part 1, Chapter 21, paragraph 6:

During this period of cold, Cyrus Harding had great cause to congratulate himself on having brought to Granite House the little stream of water from Lake Grant. Taken below the frozen surface, and conducted through the passage, it preserved its fluidity, and arrived at an interior reservoir which had been hollowed out at the back part of the storeroom, while the overflow ran through the well to the sea.

Also, Part 2, Chapter 9, paragraph 22:

For this, it was enough to augment the flow of the little stream which supplied the interior of Granite House with water. The opening among the stones and grass was then increased, thus producing a strong fall at the bottom of the passage, the overflow from which escaped by the inner well.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:40 PM   #23
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Obviously they built the latrine over the pit. Which may have been a problem for anyone eavesdropping at the bottom.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:51 PM   #24
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Obviously they built the latrine over the pit. Which may have been a problem for anyone eavesdropping at the bottom.
Well, they did get to hear all the crap that was going on.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:58 PM   #25
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Where better to eavesdrop at the bottom??
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:42 AM   #26
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
I thought you would do it at the eaves? But I guess granite house didn't have any. So they had to.....
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:31 AM   #27
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
I thought you would do it at the eaves? But I guess granite house didn't have any. So they had to.....
Looks like the mysterious stranger dropped quite a few eaves on the bad guys!
Old 05-26-2010, 12:04 PM   #28
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Quote:
Maybe Verne was planning a sequel: "How the Islanders Went: The Untold Story."
Quote:
Quote:
Well, they did get to hear all the crap that was going on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Where better to eavesdrop at the bottom??
Quote:
Looks like the mysterious stranger dropped quite a few eaves on the bad guys!
Really people?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:10 PM   #29
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
OK... I finished this book. I also really enjoyed it. I do agree with many of the comments.

I wondered near the end... would it not have been possible to blast in the caldera to relive the pressure at the point where it appears to have gone the past time.

I mean they lowered the level of a lake by creating a waterfall with improvised explosive. At the end they had plenty of black powder from the brig and from Ayrtons Tabor island stores.

As far as the animals... they did build a corral to house them and raise them... chickens for eggs and yes to eat, onagers which they used like mules, musmons for their fur.

I personally have no problem eating animals... even today that is the staple of a good portion of the world.

Since some people have read what the "mystery" is... I'll spoiler some comments about that:

Spoiler:
I am confused as to why the Nautilus was trapped. Did he not have torpedoes at his disposal? He used one to destroy the pirate ship.

I think this was a great book club selection... thanks to HarryT for suggesting it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:47 PM   #30
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Folks, how realistic do you feel it is that that six people with nothing but the clothes on their backs could be dropped on an island and create such an advanced civilization in three years' time? (This is a serious question; I'm asking.)