Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
Tahini
Tahini began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight
NST: epubs with either no cover or faulty TOCs

Hi,
I have just received my first ereader (a NST with Glowlight) from a friend who lives in US... without a doubt I am a newbie in the mobile reading world so I hope I dont ask or state anything obvious.

I started putting some sideloaded epubs in the Nook, using Calibre.
Several epubs didnt have a cover which I thought was a bit annoying...
googling the issue I found that in order to get a cover displayed, you'll need to use Calibre to convert the files in question in Epubs... basically reprocess the epubs.
I did it and alas the covers show in Nook... unfortunately the TOCs are all faulty.
I actually dont know if I am using the term TOC in the correct way, but when I tap the center page and select "Go to...", the Nook does not seem to get any chapters demarcation, because when I slide right and left the progress bar, i.e. it will indicate "Cover, 0 pages left" wherever the progress bar is.
The interesting part is that in the original, unprocessed coverless epub the chapter demarcation is read nicely by the Nook... so it means some information vital to the ereader is lost in the reprocessing of the epub files.

It's also interesting that some reprocessed epubs dont have this problem, ie the sliding bar shows the correct chapter limits and remaining page amount.

So does anyone know what I have to do to either have the covers show without reprocessing the epubs, or to process the files so that the correct TOC shows in the Nook?

Cheers
Renato

PS: i forgot to mention that I am using Calibre 0.8.38 on Linux 64-bit
Tahini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
One of the ways to show the cover is the epub -> epub conversion, but I prefer to use Sigil for this.

On Sigil, open the epub and make sure the cover is properly set. Next right click on the image in the Book Browser and, under "Add Semantics", choose Cover Image if it is not already checked. If it is checked, deselect it and select it again (this adds the meta element defining the cover to the OPF). Save the epub and exit Sigil.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:15 AM   #3
Tahini
Tahini began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight
Thanks!
I'll try that when I get back home.
Do you know if there's a (semiautomated) way in Calibre to copy metadata from one file to the other? I painstakingly edited all the reprocessed epubs metadata and I wouldnt want to copy each tag fields one by one by hand when I re-import the original, unprocessed epubs...
Tahini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahini View Post
Thanks!
I'll try that when I get back home.
Do you know if there's a (semiautomated) way in Calibre to copy metadata from one file to the other? I painstakingly edited all the reprocessed epubs metadata and I wouldnt want to copy each tag fields one by one by hand when I re-import the original, unprocessed epubs...
Yes, you can select a bunch of books at once, right click on the selection, and then choose "Edit metadata in bulk". It does not copy the data across, but allows you to modify the common metadata for all the books at once.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #5
bearymore
Connoisseur
bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahini View Post
PS: i forgot to mention that I am using Calibre 0.8.38 on Linux 64-bit
Try upgrading Calibre. I'm using 0.8.61 on Linux 64-bit. On the epubs I have to reconvert to epub to get the cover (some are fine without the conversion), the TOC's are fine.
bearymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Grammata Papyre 6.2, Sony PRS T1, Nook ST Glow,Kobo Glo
Not all ePubs are formatted correctly. Some are simply scanned from books with page numbers included and simply converted to ePub. Fortunately there are more properly formatted books on the net, and those DO come with a working TOC. But Calibre doesn´t generate it automatically. You need Sigil and some CSS knowledge to do that.
susaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Try adding the modify epub plugin

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=134249

Lets you tweak covers without reprocessing the whole epub. One of the methods I use for this (sometimes I use Sigil also).
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, cover art, file management, nook, toc detection