Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-19-2012, 02:15 AM   #16
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Form datasheet: i.MX508 has USB OTG port and data in USB downloader mode could be transferred specifically and only through USB OTG port. Kindle Touch could be switched into USB downloader mode with successful data transferring through it's USB port. Ergo, KT's USB port is the USB OTG port. And USB OTG port can act as a host port.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:59 AM   #17
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
Form datasheet: i.MX508 has USB OTG port and data in USB downloader mode could be transferred specifically and only through USB OTG port. Kindle Touch could be switched into USB downloader mode with successful data transferring through it's USB port. Ergo, KT's USB port is the USB OTG port. And USB OTG port can act as a host port.
I was referring to the HOST-ONLY mode available on the other USB pins, used for 3G. The external port is OTG, and can be switched between multiple modes. It may not have the connection needed to detect a host mode OTG cable, in which case you would need a software OTG mode-switch program (like the Nook Simple Touch hack uses).
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:59 AM   #18
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
OTG

As readers may have noticed, on the Amazon product page, only Kindle Touch and Kindle Fire where listed as supported.

Does this mean other models are not (fully) supported?

Specifications and How to test the port:
http://www.usb.org/developers/ontheg...e_plan_1_1.pdf
(Includes pin-outs)

Additional information:
http://www.usb.org/developers/onthego/

With just a speed-read of the specs and without the required careful study...
It seems that it may be possible that one of these OTG devices can support only Device and Battery charging (I.E: might not be capable of supporting Host).

Translation: That might explain why the product page did not say "Any Kindle Model".
OR, the product page might be incomplete.

Well, at least the above document tells us how to test the OTG port on the Kindle(s) and find out what features the connector/interface does support.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:33 AM   #19
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OTG may need a custom linux kernel on some firmware versions. It may also need a utility to turn OTG host mode on and off (see the Nook Simple Touch forum at MR for details).
Old 06-19-2012, 07:20 AM   #20
leonard.pitzu
leonard.pitzu is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.leonard.pitzu is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.leonard.pitzu is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.leonard.pitzu is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.leonard.pitzu is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.leonard.pitzu is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.leonard.pitzu is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.leonard.pitzu is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.leonard.pitzu is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.leonard.pitzu is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.leonard.pitzu is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

please see first post for updated archive and added guide.

ref. OTG/host/usb stuff in general... the idea is cool enough but is it worth the effort? lots of software, etc. are needed and i think we can do more efficient. just modify my idea and add a bluetooth device instead of the sensor. then it would be truly wireless. i have already done something like this when i developed the "kindle touch personal weather station". i've hooked up a bluetooth module to "talk" to the kindle without wires - all for the sake of debugging. after i put everything together i just removed the bluetooth module and wired everything in side of the kindle. if it's of any interest i think i can put it all back together and publish it here. after all it was only a "serial bridge" using nothing but a bluetooth module...
leonard.pitzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #21
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard.pitzu View Post
please see first post for updated archive and added guide.

ref. OTG/host/usb stuff in general... the idea is cool enough but is it worth the effort? lots of software, etc. are needed and i think we can do more efficient. just modify my idea and add a bluetooth device instead of the sensor. then it would be truly wireless. i have already done something like this when i developed the "kindle touch personal weather station". i've hooked up a bluetooth module to "talk" to the kindle without wires - all for the sake of debugging. after i put everything together i just removed the bluetooth module and wired everything in side of the kindle. if it's of any interest i think i can put it all back together and publish it here. after all it was only a "serial bridge" using nothing but a bluetooth module...
Already been done, already indexed.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #22
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Already been done, already indexed.
For the touch? Alternative methods are welcome too.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #23
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
For the touch? Alternative methods are welcome too.
Just deal with the mechanical differences -
The indexed HowTo is for the DX(G) and posts to that thread show it has been tried on the K2 also.

My own first choice - use a ZigBee module (because I have them) -
Unlike Bluetooth modules, they are low enough power to be left on all of the time.
Like, months of run-time on a single 1.5v AAA sized battery. The Kindle's Li-Ion battery will "self discharge" faster than these ZigBee modules will run them down.

(Just have to find a place for it inside my K3)
Old 06-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #24
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
FYI:
http://www.christian-hoff.com/?p=139
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #25
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniko7 View Post
Has that link been indexed yet?
Feel free to add it yourself if not.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #26
leonard.pitzu
leonard.pitzu is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.leonard.pitzu is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.leonard.pitzu is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.leonard.pitzu is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.leonard.pitzu is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.leonard.pitzu is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.leonard.pitzu is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.leonard.pitzu is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.leonard.pitzu is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.leonard.pitzu is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.leonard.pitzu is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Just deal with the mechanical differences -
The indexed HowTo is for the DX(G) and posts to that thread show it has been tried on the K2 also.

My own first choice - use a ZigBee module (because I have them) -
Unlike Bluetooth modules, they are low enough power to be left on all of the time.
Like, months of run-time on a single 1.5v AAA sized battery. The Kindle's Li-Ion battery will "self discharge" faster than these ZigBee modules will run them down.

(Just have to find a place for it inside my K3)
which zigbee modules do you use/own? i have some low power bluetooth modules but i also want to try something new out like measuring distances with the help of the KT...
leonard.pitzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #27
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard.pitzu View Post
which zigbee modules do you use/own? i have some low power bluetooth modules but i also want to try something new out like measuring distances with the help of the KT...
Can not recall, they are "stored" away due to lack of time.
I do know I got them from these people:
http://www.digikey.com/us/en/techzon...154ZigBee.html

And the one(s) I was going to use as the "base station" where USB-Zigbee sticks smaller than a piece of chewing gum.

Others where ZigBee-I/O (digital and analog) for the "remote" locations.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #28
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniko7 View Post
I added it to the Hardware and K4 indexes. Nice find!
Old 10-03-2012, 06:31 AM   #29
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
so.. amount of effort to port across to the touch (paperwhite?)

I'm thinking diff the git clone "git://christian-hoff.com/kindle-4-kernel.git" against a standard 4 build src tree.

Then merge the changes into a 5 tree (with some judicious lookage before leapeage)
and shove it through buildroot as a patch for all 5'ish devices. (paperwhite 5.2 I'm looking at you)

Getting this procedure standardised in a simple "patch" (since we can affect the _def_config anyway before build in buildroot and provide our own) would make providing OTG USB a near-reality. Also the chances of someone actually doing some more work on the drivers would go up a great deal I would be bound.

So yeah. my thoughts.

Grab Git, Diff against a 4 clean, merge to a 5 src, build via BR.

Caveats anyone? please? Any patches out there for building the source that anyone knows of (obviously I'll try to search myself), fixes for name-space problems? anything?

I'm thinking I'll use the Linaro 2012.04 as that provides the route of least resistance for the average user.

For my money: think this goes on the RSN pile myself as the low-hanging fruit is far too juicy to let bit-rot on the vine...

Come on... external storage? games controllers? Keyboards? all pretty basic stuff that will fall in the "probably supported" category according to my reading of what is there right now.

Surely this is a must do. especially with the paperwhite bringing the lo-calorie pain in so many quarters.

Anyway, thought for the day. Get this done.

Last edited by twobob; 10-03-2012 at 06:33 AM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hardware modding