Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-31-2010, 08:08 AM   #1
janp92
janp92 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Broken Screen - Jailbroken Kindle

Ahoy there,

Wondering if somebody could advice me on returning my broken Kindle. Basically the screen has stopped responding, it's stuck on my custom screensaver with lots of lines down the middle. Normally this kind of damage would indicate the device being dropped so I suspect that it's taken a knock whilst in my backpack (it was in a cover).

Anywho I'm alittle worried about sending the device back to Amazon UK as I applied the custom screensaver hack and the custom screensaver I used is visible. However all the books on my Kindle are legit from Amazon and not pirated.

Has anyone else successfully returned a jailbroken Kindle? Or failing that, is there a way for me to restore to factory defaults, bearing it mind I cannot use the screen at all.

Would really appreciate some advice and hope everyone that reads has a Happy New Year.

- Jan
janp92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:09 AM   #2
janp92

Forgot to mention I'm using a Kindle 3 (3G UK) model. Thanks
Old 12-31-2010, 08:10 AM   #3
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
You simply contact Amazon's Kindle customer service, then make it very easy to return a defected kindle.
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:11 AM   #4
janp92

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblem View Post
You simply contact Amazon's Kindle customer service, then make it very easy to return a defected kindle.
But will they reject it due to the screensaver hack?
Old 12-31-2010, 08:23 AM   #5
Paulinafrica
Zealot
Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle Android, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by janp92 View Post
But will they reject it due to the screensaver hack?
Hello janp92, I can only speak from personal experience, my kindle froze and was completely unresponsive, as luck would have it, it was stuck on a non standard screensaver and had to be returned. I was also concerned about the hack and what effect that may have, but after 6 weeks I've heard nothing. To be honest I don't think Amazon have the time, energy or staff to go and check all the faulty kindles that are returned and in any event the hacks themselves are pretty non intrusive, I suspect that Amazon turn a bit of a 'blind eye' to these types of hacks.
Cheers
Paul
Paulinafrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:29 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It clearly states in the warranty information that modifying your Kindle's system software invalidates the guarantee. It doesn't really matter, though, since screen substrate fractures (which is what you have) aren't covered by the guarantee anyway.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:42 AM   #7
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
While the screen is stuck on that image, I wonder if the kindle still responds to other commands??? Maybe you could try "blindly" getting to the Settings screen and use the 'restore to factory settings" to wipe it cleaner. It is also possible that you were, ahem, displaying a photo and that's when it broke. Does the usb-drive mode still work on a computer? Copy that image to the photo folder (g)
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:39 PM   #8
janp92

The image I was using as a screensaver was the front cover of the book I was currently reading. So maybe I could say it was part of the e-book?

USB mode on my computer worked briefly and magically stopped, nothing can even detect a partition anymore.

As for replicating the series of commands for the manual reset, I wouldn't have a clue to be honest.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
don't sweat it, just get it replaced
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:16 PM   #10
m0ngr31
Connoisseur
m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
After my screen broke, I opened up the back (and it was very evident that I had) with a pocket knife because I didn't think amazon would take it back. A few weeks later I decided to talk to CS again and they gave me a new one for $60. I sent back my broken one and they haven't tried to charge me for voiding the warranty by opening it up. If they don't notice my handiwork they probably won't notice yours either
m0ngr31 is offline   Reply With Quote