Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 10-26-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Nook Color is Here!

Nook Color is here. Priced at $249 and to ship 19 Nov 2010.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookcolor/
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
It's interesting they went from an eInk device to an LCD device. But, at $250 it might be something I would consider... since it really will be an Android tablet rather than just a reader. I am sure I would read most fiction still on my Kindle... However, the MacBook Air 11' looks like a nice couch surfing device... basically an iPad (that supports flash) with a keyboard.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:07 PM   #3
ifonline
Connoisseur
ifonline began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad
I''m disappointed with the inclusion of an IPS screen and the resulting 8 hour battery life. Interesting design, though.
ifonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:10 PM   #4
cypresstwist
Nooking in Romania
cypresstwist doesn't littercypresstwist doesn't littercypresstwist doesn't litter

Device: Nook WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
I''m disappointed with the inclusion of an IPS screen and the resulting 8 hour battery life. Interesting design, though.
Same exact thoughts here. 8 hour battery life for an eReader? No thank you, I'll stick with my current Nook and it's eInk screen.
cypresstwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
It's interesting they went from an eInk device to an LCD device. But, at $250 it might be something I would consider... since it really will be an Android tablet rather than just a reader. I am sure I would read most fiction still on my Kindle... However, the MacBook Air 11' looks like a nice couch surfing device... basically an iPad (that supports flash) with a keyboard.

BOb

You do have to remember this isn't replacing the Nook eink, they are still going forward with it, in fact we have a juicy update coming up. This is just an addition to the product line.

specs so far are very very impressive.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:11 PM   #6
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
I can see battery life but why the disappointment with an IPS panal. That's pretty much the high end of panals.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:12 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Hmmm......nice.

I don't need/want the color, but I'm thinking those people still on the fence will jump on this....

I would imagine it would be great for magazines and manga?

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:12 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
You do have to remember this isn't replacing the Nook eink, they are still going forward with it, in fact we have a juicy update coming up. This is just an addition to the product line.
I wonder if this is an interim until the Marisol or PixelQi or eInk Color screens are perfected and less expensive and the eInk versions are just going to be sold while supplies last.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:17 PM   #9
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I don't need one & am not likely to go & get one any time soon. But I can see how some people would like it. I don't do well with LCD screens but a lot of people are used to them & have no trouble reading on them. Maybe the smaller screen will make the LCD easier on the eyes? I'd like to try one & see. But as of now I'm very happy with my NOOK Classic
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:18 PM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
This may be my netbook replacement. Waiting to see processor specs and its web browsing capabilities.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:18 PM   #11
ifonline
Connoisseur
ifonline began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I can see battery life but why the disappointment with an IPS panal. That's pretty much the high end of panals.
I'm very familiar with IPS panels. I have several monitors, the iPad, and the iPhone, all of which have IPS panels. My disappointment was the battery life as a result of the IPS panel, not the IPS panel itself.

My interest was with a color Nook that used a color eInk display. Maybe Amazon will make one instead.
ifonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:19 PM   #12
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
did they give any specs on the processor and memory?

will they have 'em in stores to check out before they ship? (not ordering unseen)

I hope you can view your own docs (and that they have good PDF support)

My initial reaction is disappointment at the LCD and battery, but I could come around if I get to play with one and if it'll do a decent job with my PDF books in landscape.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:36 PM   #13
humblepie
GTD Productive Organizer
humblepie began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch 2g
its obvious that they are going after PDF magazines and Magazines in general. to read that its best to have color
humblepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:37 PM   #14
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I think it's a smart move; a lot of people don't really even seem to want an e-reader, but something along the lines of a mini iPad. And well, this basically seems to be just that.

Personally though, just looking at the mockups of the screens makes my eyes water.

edit: I mean, look you can even see glare on the left picture...the left side of the screen is visibly lighter than the right side...

Last edited by JeremyR; 10-26-2010 at 05:52 PM.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:38 PM   #15
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
My husband has mentioned that he would like a 7 inch, backlit reader. I'll have to show him this. I, too am curious as to see how it handles PDFs.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote