Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-08-2009, 09:27 AM   #1
cemerson
cemerson began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505S
editing metadata in Sony software?

I downloaded the Sony software and started downloading books (mostly from here so far), in preparation for getting my reader.

How do I edit the metadata for the title and author, so that I don't get mixes of "firstname lastname" and "lastname firstname", or dozens of titles alphabetized under "The"?

It was easy with Mobipocket Reader, but not immediately obvious with Sony (admittedly I didn't have much time to spend with it yet). Or do I just need to use something else altogether first?

Thanks for your patience with what is probably a frequent newbie question!
cemerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
You can't do it in the Sony software. You need to download and install Calibre. It's got full metadata editing capabilities.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2009, 04:48 AM   #3
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I agree, I haven't heard of a way to do it outside of Calibre. I do still use the sony software, but I make collections. I don't want an alphabetized list of books anyway, I prefer to have them sorted into collections that make sense to me.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:23 AM   #4
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
GraceKrispy got me started with collections and it really does make things easier. However I still edit the metadata so that I can see the numerical order of books that are in series more easily. I like reading series, and this way they stand out and I can read them in order. I use Calibre to do all my editing and conversions, then load into the Sony software to manage, then upload from there.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:24 AM   #5
cemerson
cemerson began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505S
That's kinda what I thought ... thanks.

Off to download Calibre.

Just heard that my reader has shipped; I will have it next week!

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
cemerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2009, 03:09 AM   #6
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
GraceKrispy got me started with collections and it really does make things easier. However I still edit the metadata so that I can see the numerical order of books that are in series more easily. I like reading series, and this way they stand out and I can read them in order. I use Calibre to do all my editing and conversions, then load into the Sony software to manage, then upload from there.

Stitchawl
Aww.... you make me weepy!

I just put the books inside each collection in order when I put them into the collection. That way, they show up in order. I'm not very good at all this stuff, I have to admit. But I try!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:51 PM   #7
Cassy
Zealot
Cassy began at the beginning.

Device: Silver Sony PRS 505
I learnt this the hard way but if the pdf is password locked changing the metadata in Calibre won't help!
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:14 AM   #8
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy View Post
I learnt this the hard way but if the pdf is password locked changing the metadata in Calibre won't help!
Right! You have to remove the password first!

Stitchawl
Old 05-13-2009, 06:22 PM   #9
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
Am I the only person who can't ever, and I mean EVER, login into my Sony software the first (or 5th time for that matter) time they try? EVER. I just tried, again, and get that stupid error that there is something wrong with my internet settings. I go through this EVERY time I try to get into it.

I love my reader but despise, hate, loathe their crappy software. Worst program I have ever dealt with.

Just curious if I am the only person with this issue. I go to my wife's laptop and ofcourse I get the same thing. Jeez!
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:06 AM   #10
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgauth View Post
Am I the only person who can't ever, and I mean EVER, login into my Sony software the first (or 5th time for that matter) time they try? EVER. I just tried, again, and get that stupid error that there is something wrong with my internet settings. I go through this EVERY time I try to get into it.

I love my reader but despise, hate, loathe their crappy software. Worst program I have ever dealt with.

Just curious if I am the only person with this issue. I go to my wife's laptop and ofcourse I get the same thing. Jeez!

Gosh! I've heard of this happening but it never happened to me. I installed the software before I even had my reader, and it worked the first time I tried it. Good thing too as I'm pretty much computer stupid, and wouldn't be able to solve the problem had it been mine! Works smoothly for me, and does just what I want it to do!

Stitchawl
Old 05-14-2009, 04:01 AM   #11
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgauth View Post
It appears to be very sensitive to certain Anti-Virus/Personal Firewall applications, which intercept the web-communications it makes, so maybe see if you can disable them for it & see if that helps.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:17 PM   #12
mkberg
mkberg began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-900
Stitchawi_ Please share more details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post

Stitchawl

I am curious to know how you export your edited metadata from Calibre to Sony Reader Library? Do you sync once the data is on the Sony software?
Thank you.
mkberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #13
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
I tried Calibre for the very first time today. I have PDF crochet & knitting patterns where the Metadata is all messed up and I hate it. After reading this thread I was able to change the title and authors of the files. Awesome! Thanks Stitchawl!! Karma coming your way.

Mkberg what I did was edit the Metadata in Calibre and then saved to disk, chose the folder I wanted to save the stuff to and then imported it into the Sony Library. It saves it in 3 files, at least mine did. My files were PDF initialy. Super easy and it looks exactly how I want it to look. Prior to changing the metadata it showed the web address the file was downloaded from. (legally allowed from Lion Brand by the way)

Seeing the web address as a title of a book was difficult because when I had several patterns in my reader they all appeared to be the same title when they weren't.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote