Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: None
Migrating from a Sony PRS505 to the new Kindle 3rd Gen. (possibly)

Hey guys,

I've had this Sony PRS505 for a long, long time now. It it is my first and only ebook device, and I've been very satisfied with it. But, I think it's time to upgrade to something better. The new Kindle seems VERY promising, especially since it offers free 3G internet in Montreal. I do have some questions though:

1. I've used my 505 with many bookstores, will I be restricted to Kindle's store or can I shop around on other websites?

2. Most of my books are free ones available from Mobileread and PG and I use Calibre to transfer them. Actually, I use Calibre for pretty much everything and I want to keep it this way. Will I be able to transfer free and non-drm books onto the Kindle from sources other than the Kindle store (via usb by Calibre)? Basically, I don't want the content on the device to be controlled by Amazon.

3. With both wifi and 3G enabled, how much faster does the battery deplete on the current Kindle?

That's pretty much it. If you have any general advice for someone thinking of going from a Sony reader to a Kindle, I'd love to read it.

Thanks in advance.
rahulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
1. No DRM, no problem. If the books have DRM then you must remove and convert.
2. No DRM, no problem. Convert using Calibre. Download to Kindle just like your 505, Calibre recognizes the Kindle.
3. Don't know but Amazon is claiming that the new generation Kindle has better battery life.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 02:44 PM   #3
Onemack
Groupie
Onemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle P/W, Kobo Aura, Kobo Libre 2, Boyue likebook P10
Just an observation, I have both a Kindle 2 (less than six months old) and a Sony PRS 505. I have found the PRS505 to be the more useful, although the Kindle is pretty good. Nevertheless more books are readily available for the 505 than the Kindle, at least of the genres that I read (about 4-5 books a week).
I also find that I tend to use the Kindle preview feature to assess whether a book is readable then, I buy it in ePub for the Sony (usually cheaper too)

There is nothing of real advantage in the K2 over the Sony, but maybe the K3 will show a greater advantage. I am going to watch for a while, and see if Sony are going to come out with something a bit better (and perhaps cheaper)
Onemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Using Calibre, you can convert your DRM free ePub to Mobi for use on a Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:03 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

I have some books I converted to MOBI from ePub via calibre and then placed on my KDXG. I then downloaded the sample versions of the same books froms Amazon and I cannot see any difference in the quality. Granted these are books with few images--mostly text. But I've just finished reading two history books that were bought from Amazon and both had a lot of images and both looked great.
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 03:05 PM   #6
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: None
does the kindle handle epub files poorly?

that's been my format of choice for years now
rahulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:12 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulm View Post
does the kindle handle epub files poorly?

that's been my format of choice for years now
The Kindle doesn't handle ePub at all.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:13 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But most novels in ePub are really a simple format that Mobipocket can handle fine.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote