Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-11-2010, 10:17 AM   #1
icollectglass
icollectglass began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Reader software crashing on new MacBook Pro

Please excuse any duplication, this is my first post to this forum.

I've had my Sony PRS-600 since December, and have only experienced synching problems with it on my old iMac. (Similar synch problems have been reported on this forum, so I won't go into further details, other than to say that I've resorted to manually dragging and dropping ebooks!)

On Saturday I received a new Macbook Pro and immediately installed the Sony Reader Library software. I used Time Machine to copy over my DRM-free ebooks, and a few DRMd books I've purchased from the Sony Store and Kobo. The new Macbook has been authorized properly on the Sony site, and I was also able to download a book from my local library using Adobe Digital Editions. I was able to launch all my ebooks without issue.

So far so good until yesterday evening. I plugged in the Reader in the USB port, and the Reader software would not launch properly. I would shut down and restart, and sometimes the Reader software would launch, but with a blank white screen and only the menu options appeared.

Reinstalling the software did not resolve the problem. From reading other threads on this forum, I thought I'd try unplugging the Reader and starting the software first. The reader would launch but would freeze when toggling between folders. I'd also get the same blank white screen when restarting the reader. (And yes, I rebooted the Macbook several times, too.)

This morning the Reader software launched fine!

Has anyone else experience this on a Mac running Snow? Do I blame the Sony Reader Software? Is it Snow Leopard that is causing the crashing?

I'm leary that my issue has been fixed, since the synching has never worked properly on my old iMac! I'd love to hear from other Mac users.
icollectglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
In order to get the Sony Reader software to run on my iMac running Snow Leopard I had to delete the preferences which migration assistant had copied over.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2010, 10:37 AM   #3
icollectglass

I actually didn't use the Migration Asistant. I manually copied the entire "Reader Library" folder over to my Documents folder on the new Macbook. I then installed Reader Library and reimported all the ebooks into the Reader Library software.

I'd like to start this process from scratch. Could you please help me with the steps to copy over the files and what I need to do on Snow?

What preferences do I delete?

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
icollectglass

I have 55 ebooks in total so I'm thinking this process might be better if I definitely start from scratch! This is what I'm planning ....

1) delete all copied ebooks from Documents/Reader Library folder (including the folder)

2) delete Reader Library software app. I can simply drag this to the trash can on the Mac? Apologies for the stupid question. I'm a Switcher and only on a Mac for 1 year now ... deleting apps from Windows was much more complex! Is there anything I need to delete other than the Reader Library app?

3) Reinstall Reader Library Software.

4) Copy only ebooks from old iMac to Reader Library folder.

5) Re-add ebooks to Reader Library software and reauthorized the new Mac on Sony store.

6) Do I need to reinstall Adobe Digital editions?

As I mentioned, I'm a Switcher. I'm sure this process is easier on the Mac, but would like clarification before I make a mess of my Macbook folders.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Here's a post I found on it:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59980

Specifically I believe you want the file:

~/Library/Preferences/fsk/1/com.kinoma.fskin.ktStart-kBook.xml

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
icollectglass

Thanks so much!! I'll start by deleting that preferences file and will post my results back here.

That post should definitely be in an FAQ for Mac users!

Tags
prs600 macbookpro