Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-01-2011, 09:22 AM   #1
RobSp8
RobSp8 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Noob Questions About Jailbreaking

Now, before anybody starts I'm sure this information is available spread throughout the forum but if someone could sum it up for me in one nice and easy place I would be grateful.
Basically, what are the benefits, disadvantages and risks involved in jailbreaking your Kindle? From what I can see the only thing that interests me the ability to change the screensaver images (some of those old authors are really creepy looking). Is it really worth doing it just for that? Would it be possible to change the images by just putting new images with the same filenames in the folder?
Thanks for any help.

EDIT: Just had a look at the files on my Kindle and it seems that the wallpapers aren't simply picture files saved in some folder. So, I guess it's not that easy...

Last edited by RobSp8; 03-01-2011 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Addition
RobSp8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:17 AM   #2
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Risks and disadvantages: Amazon might not respect the warranty although so far no one has actually run into that problem.

You see, if for some reason your kindle breaks while showing a "foreign" screensaver, it would be fairly obvious you had jailbroken your kindle.

With that said, it is a fairly easy process. And if you don't like some of the "dead authors" the only way around it is to jailbreak. I really do like seeing my own travel photos. When 3.1 firmware was coming out, I removed the jailbreak/screensaver and for about 4 days I was seeing the official and really did not like the images all that much. I was quite relieved when my own photos were back with the newest jailbreaks.

But some folks believe they only see the images for mere seconds and can live with it.

Choices................
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert