Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #106
vulcan_girl
Groupie
vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemo View Post
Which of course is ridiculously short-sighted, since the reason consortia exist is because the smaller individual libraries can't afford to buy into Overdrive at all. When I asked at my library if there were any plans to offer eBooks, the answer was "We're facing budget CUTS. So.....no."

Then again, maybe that's the publishers' thinking exactly....
A couple of posters on a library listserv I belong to have stated that they were considering ebooks, but will now wait to see how this all shakes out. Others were angry because they went live with Overdrive days before HC announced the changes.
vulcan_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:30 PM   #107
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I for one welcome our new ebook licensing overlords.

They want to price ebooks like pbooks. They want to "decay" ebooks like books. They want to apply the old model to the new.

Fine. So do I.

I want to be able to sell my ebook. Lend it to another person for as long as s/he needs. Donate it to a library.

After the book has changed ownership for, say 5 times, they're welcome to have it self-destruct.

See, I'm a reasonable guy.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 08:34 PM   #108
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
most of my classmates don't even know what an ebook is.

i wish they'd get rid of the geo restrictions though.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:41 AM   #109
nwhitfield
Enthusiast
nwhitfield has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwhitfield has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwhitfield has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
I've just done a short piece on this for RegHardware; OverDrive confirmed to me that this new system applies worldwide, but the statement I got from HarperCollins in the UK doesn't exactly confirm that. I've published it in full on my blog

http://gonedigital.net/2011/03/02/ha...ibrary-ebooks/
nwhitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #110
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I for one welcome our new ebook licensing overlords.

They want to price ebooks like pbooks. They want to "decay" ebooks like books. They want to apply the old model to the new.

Fine. So do I.

I want to be able to sell my ebook. Lend it to another person for as long as s/he needs. Donate it to a library.

After the book has changed ownership for, say 5 times, they're welcome to have it self-destruct.

See, I'm a reasonable guy.

And now for something completely different,

Retain method of purchase across used book transfers.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2011, 03:13 PM   #111
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Living in a low-population state (only one really large city, the rest of the state is pretty rural), consortia are the only way our libraries can operate. My little local library has ebooks, but only because we belong to the state consortium. We also belong to a different consortium for p-books, but I don't hear anyone complaining about that.

Meemo is right - for a lot of libraries, it's either consortia or no ebooks at all.

I really don't understand the publisher war on libraries - as I stated earlier, it's a monstrous case of biting the hand that feeds you. Biting it clean off.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #112
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
I really don't understand the publisher war on libraries - as I stated earlier, it's a monstrous case of biting the hand that feeds you. Biting it clean off.
Precisely. It's just outrageous. Libraries create readers, and readers buy the books that publishers sell. In a world where there are so many other entertainment options, why do they want to marginalize books even more by making them less available to people?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:54 PM   #113
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
This is completely outrageous. I am a book buyer today because my mother took me to the library when I was younger. Not only do I find new authors whose books I then might decide to buy but I also read lots of other things which I might not want to actually own. I suppose some kind of lending limit makes sense to publishers but it makes no sense to me. You can't really compare to p-books which eventually are damaged beyond use; e-books don't get damaged by use. If you must however have lending limits 26 seems crazy. In Cleveland, where I live my library has a fairly large selection of e-books but it also a large number of borrowers so having to replace licenses after only 26 books would price them out of the market. Is this what H/C wants? Someone said that they don't think e-books should be part of library inventory because ebook readers are the province of people with the discretionary income to afford them. Maybe that is H/C's true goal. Maybe they really do want to make ebooks only accessible to "certain" people.

And geographic restrictions - I thought the thing that made the internet so wonderful was less restrictions on people not more. What difference does it possibly make where I live if I want to borrow a book electronically as long as I have internet access. It's not like a p-book where if I take it out of the jurisdiction they can't get it back. With Overdrive the book is only "active" for the borrowing period and then I can't access it anymore.

During bad economic times more people use libraries then ever. Why in the world does H/C think that restricting access is going to make economic sense. If people are using the library because they can't afford p-books and e-books cost the same as p-books (or almost), which people can't afford, and you restrict access by libraries .... (can you say circular logic?) ... seems like shooting yourself in the foot to me.

I can feel Andrew Carnegie turning over in his grave
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:29 PM   #114
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tponzo View Post
This is completely outrageous. I am a book buyer today because my mother took me to the library when I was younger. Not only do I find new authors whose books I then might decide to buy but I also read lots of other things which I might not want to actually own. I suppose some kind of lending limit makes sense to publishers but it makes no sense to me. You can't really compare to p-books which eventually are damaged beyond use; e-books don't get damaged by use. If you must however have lending limits 26 seems crazy. In Cleveland, where I live my library has a fairly large selection of e-books but it also a large number of borrowers so having to replace licenses after only 26 books would price them out of the market. Is this what H/C wants? Someone said that they don't think e-books should be part of library inventory because ebook readers are the province of people with the discretionary income to afford them. Maybe that is H/C's true goal. Maybe they really do want to make ebooks only accessible to "certain" people.

And geographic restrictions - I thought the thing that made the internet so wonderful was less restrictions on people not more. What difference does it possibly make where I live if I want to borrow a book electronically as long as I have internet access. It's not like a p-book where if I take it out of the jurisdiction they can't get it back. With Overdrive the book is only "active" for the borrowing period and then I can't access it anymore.

During bad economic times more people use libraries then ever. Why in the world does H/C think that restricting access is going to make economic sense. If people are using the library because they can't afford p-books and e-books cost the same as p-books (or almost), which people can't afford, and you restrict access by libraries .... (can you say circular logic?) ... seems like shooting yourself in the foot to me.

I can feel Andrew Carnegie turning over in his grave

The logic that only certain people can afford ereaders is only true for now - it's not hard to imagine a future where everyone has one, where they hand them out in schools, where they're as cheap as electronic calculators (which once cost more than ereaders do now).

So we can't allow this to stand - it's the thin edge of the wedge. We can't let the publishers call the shots for *our* libraries.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:35 PM   #115
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
Quote:
So we can't allow this to stand - it's the thin edge of the wedge. We can't let the publishers call the shots for *our* libraries.
Kate,
I completely agree. I'm sending a letter to H/C and telling everyone I know to do the same, even people who don't have e-readers now.
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #116
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
One library fights back:

Librarians poking holes in HarperCollins new rules (with video)

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...l+Reader+blog+)
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:28 PM   #117
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Why exactly do the publishers want to be a hard ass about geographic restrictions? What do they care if I live in L.A. and have a S.F. library card? (SF residents may feel differently). The library still has to pay for the book and what's lent out to me can't be lent out to another.

Incidentally, every area in CA I visit I try to get a card at the area's library if it only requires state residency. So I'm hooked in the L.A. County lib, SF lib, SoCal digital lib, NoCal digital lib. HC would have my cards revoked
For example, if you have a Free Library of Philadelphia library card, you may find a book there that your local library doesn't have. So instead of asking your local library to get it, you get it from Philly. So the publisher then loses out as your local library doesn't buy.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:52 PM   #118
khalleron
Kate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For example, if you have a Free Library of Philadelphia library card, you may find a book there that your local library doesn't have. So instead of asking your local library to get it, you get it from Philly. So the publisher then loses out as your local library doesn't buy.

My library would just get it through Interlibrary Loan, so the only one who would benefit would be the Post Office.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:04 AM   #119
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Of course the Philadelphia library still has to pay for its ebooks.

Now if too many people use Phil. the waiting list will be too long so people will still prefer their local branch. And Phil. may decide it needs to concentrate on its local citizens first. But this doesn't seem like it's the publishers' business.

The Singapore library is a different kettle of fish. It gives an account to anyone with a passport. It also has a decent collection.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:07 AM   #120
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 360
Long live -- and multiply -- the public domain. Copyright is no longer a valid concept in the digital age -- no matter how long it takes for people to realize it and start acting accordingly. The technology has outrun our economic (and political) models.
mdmorrissey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
libraries, library, overdrive