Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-09-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
cmcgranahan
cmcgranahan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Problem moving books to device

I have a Sony PRS 350. I have no problems converting and loading books. The problem happens if I delete a book off my e-reader and then want to put it back on. I get an error message that says "Could not convert 1 of 1 books, because no suitable source format found." Any ideas what I need to do?
cmcgranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:19 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
That sounds as if you are removing the copy of the book that is in the Calibre library? When you look at the book entry in Calibre is it showing that there is a suitable format in the Calibre library? The error message implies that there is not.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #3
cmcgranahan

I'm not the most computer literate so I'm not sure where to look to see if it's a suitable format. I know that I delete it from the device list not the library list. I don't understand why it converted ok and moved to my reader and when I try to put it back it won't.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The point is that Calibre should not ever be deleting a file from its internal library unless you tell it to. A Send to Device operation make a copy onto your device - the file that is being copied is still inthe calibre library. If you click on a book entry the book formats that are in the calibre library for that book should be listed.

The error message sugges there is no longer any format stored for that book entry. Therefore the question becomes how did the copy in calibre disappear? That was why I wondered if you were deleting the library copy when you thought you were deleting the device copy. Have you checked the calibre book entry to see what format(s) are shown?
Old 01-11-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
cmcgranahan

I checked a couple books that I'm having problems with and for all of them it says the format is none. Why am I losing the format? Thanks for all your help.
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard

It is probably worth checking exactly what you have been doing when you have been removing books from the device. I have seen quite a few reports of people thinking they were removing books from the device when in fact they were removing them from the Calibre library. The best way seems to be to right-clck the books to remove and make sure you use the remove from device option.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
As of 0.7.35 if you try to delete a book in your library that is also on the device that is plugged in you will be asked if you want to remove it from the library or the device.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote