Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 02-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #121
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I hate to seem like a snob David, but now I know there's a third revision on the way, I think I'll wait until that's done before I read the book. I know I keep putting it off, but I don't want my enjoyment of the story disturbed by editing problems.

After the third revision, I'll schedule a read/review for you.

Aside from that, good luck for the competition.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #122
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Shucks. I'm just waiting for the sequel!
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #123
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Maybe it sounds smartassed or however to call it in English, but I prefer a book with good content and a bad sum-up on the backside (it's that what's called a pitch?) than the other way around.
As I said before already you made me curious about your book in describing here on MR how much and which kind of work you put into it. and I still insist on my opinion that its worth to be put on the same quality shelf, people put their Asimovs on.

And since I liked said remark in the review above:
For the record:
I don't know neither David nor someone of his people personally.
Noone paid me or slept with me for writing the text above, or previous recommendations.
I just damn LIKE THAT BOOK.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #124
Spock96
Book Geek.
Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spock96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
Shucks. I'm just waiting for the sequel!
You and me both.
I've Pm'd David but have not got a reply back.
I am in love with Turing Evolved. I hope that he does write a sequel! I'm a big fan!
Spock96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:29 AM   #125
DavidKitson
Mobile Story Author
DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fujitsu P1510 ( Old & Clunky! )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
Maybe it sounds smartassed or however to call it in English, but I prefer a book with good content and a bad sum-up on the backside (it's that what's called a pitch?) than the other way around.
As I said before already you made me curious about your book in describing here on MR how much and which kind of work you put into it. and I still insist on my opinion that its worth to be put on the same quality shelf, people put their Asimovs on.

And since I liked said remark in the review above:
For the record:
I don't know neither David nor someone of his people personally.
Noone paid me or slept with me for writing the text above, or previous recommendations.
I just damn LIKE THAT BOOK.
Hi Freeshadow,

Thankyou for that - though the pitch is what you write down to convince a book publisher to look at your book. In a few words, you have to make the story sound interesting enough that they will read the first page.

There's another name for what's on the back cover and I can't remember it, but I don't write either up all that well.

Unfortunately, both are important to the publishing and marketing process.

Spock96, I hadn't realized I had missed sending a response to you. I've sent one through. Though I should point out that I'm still only just starting on the next story.

Regards
David
DavidKitson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:04 AM   #126
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On the back is the blurb.

I do think both are important right up until the point I decide to read the book, after which time they become irrelevant.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #127
DavidKitson
Mobile Story Author
DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, the outcome of the first cut of the Amazon ABNA content, of which there was probably about a 50:50 chance of getting through, is that Turing Evolved did *not* get through.( 5000 entries, 2000 selected to continue )

Not great news, but I was still hoping. It's not really different from before I self published - Turing Evolved just doesn't seem to be something that any publisher wants to read. Not even the first page.

Almost certainly, this is because I am not very good at writing pitches and that's all that really matters in the publishing industry for new authors. It's like they are looking for marathon runners, but the qualifying trial is the 100m sprint - I am just never going to get through - though I am still hopeful to one day see Turing Evolved published on paper as well That's something I'm not going to give up on.

But my news is not all bad this week - My ranking at Amazon is slowly increasing, which was something I hadn't previously realised.

This morning my best-seller rank is 2770 and I am the #9 Bestselling technothriller in the Amazon free list. Generally I sit between 2000 and 3000 most days ( #5 and #15) - usually in the top twenty. Amazon have separate statistics for free and paid books, which is why I never noticed before.

However the real surprise was that I've finally broken into the top 10 rated Technothriller books, which is an even playing field and I'm pretty sure that Turing Evolved is the only free-list-book in the top 100 rated technothrillers at all - which is quite a personal achievement for me.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/top-rated/d...VV1T41TAEKX6NN

That's a much harder list to get on, because you've got to have a bestseller and you've got to be highly rated, so being the only free-list author there is quite an honour. Being in the top-10 now more so.

I've also broken into the Science Fiction and Action general genre Top 100 bestseller list in the UK - where Turing Evolved is listed as science fiction.

So the day is both sad and happy for me -

But a big thanks again to the Mobileread readers who have helped me with the editing - that's almost certainly made a big difference on the Top Rated list.

Also, I got told off for posting too often on this thread, so I'm only allowed to respond once per week now - Sorry Dr Drib... So I can't respond to questions or comments more frequently than that but will read it regularly in case they do come up -

Regards
David
Old 02-24-2012, 02:40 AM   #128
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidKitson View Post
However the real surprise was that I've finally broken into the top 10 rated Technothriller books, which is an even playing field and I'm pretty sure that Turing Evolved is the only free-list-book in the top 100 rated technothrillers at all - which is quite a personal achievement for me.
I am happy to see you are starting to get recognition you deserve.
Quote:
Also, I got told off for posting too often on this thread, so I'm only allowed to respond once per week now - Sorry Dr Drib... So I can't respond to questions or comments more frequently than that but will read it regularly in case they do come up -
That is a big surprise for me.
I didn't even know that there was such rule. But I have had a few clashes with some [self-censored adjective] moderators myself.
Perhaps it is a rule that is supposed to prevent authors from bumping their own self-promoition threads too often with meaningless posts.
I am pretty sure nobody will object to you participating in other parts of the forum, such as authors corner. There you can discuss that clever Marathon - sprinter description of the submission process. You might even get some reference for people that can help you write better blurb.
Also I am not sure that answering direct post from somebody else in a matter-of-fact manner counts as bumping of your promotion thread, but as I said sometimes I do not get all the [bleeping] rules here.
Do not forget there are Private Messages if you want to answer somebody. There is also that feature where you can mark several posts for quote and answer more people in just one post of yours.

EDIT 1:
Quote:
Holly $DEITY!
I just checked the above top rated list and you really are THE only $0.00 book in the entire 100 book list. AND at the fifth place at the moment!

Last edited by kacir; 02-24-2012 at 02:46 AM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:10 AM   #129
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
An author can respond to a question. An author CANNOT self-promote in that question (unless, of course, 7 days have passed). Any time less than that and the post is considered spam, and we have guidelines for self-promotion.

REMEMBER: There is a difference between responding to a legitimate question, and indulging in self-promotion.

If you're uncertain about the distinction, then you need to PM me.

Don
(Moderator)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-24-2012 at 06:17 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #130
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, Kobo wireless, Kobo Glo
Wow David, that's really impressive. I wasn't too sure about the book myself, but when I tried it I was immediately immersed in the whole world and really enjoyed the book. Like the others, I was somewhat taken aback by some of the editing, but I also know you're working on fixing that and it didn't take away from my enjoyment of the book. Good luck on your future endeavors and I look forward to a sequel of this book.
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #131
DavidKitson
Mobile Story Author

Revision 3 now available - almost...

Hi All,

Revision 3 is now up on Amazon -

http://www.amazon.com/Turing-Evolved...0958879&sr=1-1

Give it some time to flip over to the free list and then it's available for download. It's still not perfect, but it's getting cleaner It will go free - it just takes Amazon time to notice and discount it. It's not something I can do directly. I just wait for it to happen - usually takes between one and three weeks before the auto-discount policy kicks in.

A big thanks to TheSFReader for a lot of help -

It's still hanging around in the best-seller and best-rated lists and is slowly edging it's way higher in both on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers...store_1_7_last

Thanks to Dr Drib for the clarification. I'll try to be a little more circumspect in my post update rate - but otherwise will respond to questions as quickly as I notice them.

Thanks to all,
David.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:51 AM   #132
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If we already got the book from Amazon, will deleting and re-downloading fetch us the new revision?

Also, David, where there any story or substantive changes made? That is, any special reason to re-read it, assuming I was not going to re-read it otherwise?

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #133
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
If we already got the book from Amazon, will deleting and re-downloading fetch us the new revision?

Also, David, where there any story or substantive changes made? That is, any special reason to re-read it, assuming I was not going to re-read it otherwise?

ApK
I've noticed in the past that when a 'new' corrected version of a book comes out often Amazon lets those who have a copy of that book know about it so they can get the updated version.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #134
caleb72
Indie Advocate

David - I just bought it for $0 from Amazon. So that means I'll have the 3rd revision?
If so, great.

I will schedule this for a read/review on my site in June. My dance card is full until then.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:12 AM   #135
DavidKitson
Mobile Story Author

Hi Caleb,

The "free" versions on Amazon are not version 3 - anyway the version is on the front page so it will tell yo which edition it is - except the first edition which doesn't say it. If you PM me your email address, I'll email you the latest -

Until the test version goes free, I won't update the others - but as soon as it ticks over to free, I'll update all of them - Smashwords included. Because sometimes people buy the new release early, maybe thinking it's a new version and will remain at that price - so I figure that until Amazon discount it, I should respect their mistake and not make it available elsewhere. At least if nothing else, they got the latest version early for their payment. Not great logic, but it's all I can offer them.

Anyway, it shouldn't take long for Amazon to discount it and in the mean time, I'll email a copy to anyone who PM's me their email address. An offline, DRM free version in .MOBI format. At least until the latest version ticks over to free.

Regards
David

Tags
androids, artificial intelligence, asimov style, love story, science fiction, twist