Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-14-2008, 08:46 AM   #376
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I found this on Project Gutenberg:
The White House Cookbook (1887), by Mrs. F.L. Gillette

On pages 37-38 it offers the following improbable recipe:

"SQUIRREL SOUP.

Wash and quarter three or four good sized squirrels; put them on, with a small tablespoonful of salt, directly after breakfast, in a gallon of cold water. Cover the pot close, and set it on the back part of the stove to simmer gently, not boil. Add vegetables just the same as you do in case of other meat soups in the summer season, but especially good will you find corn, Irish potatoes, tomatoes and Lima beans. Strain the soup through a coarse colander when the meat has boiled to shreds, so as to get rid of the squirrels' troublesome little bones. Then return to the pot, and after boiling a while longer, thicken with a piece of butter rubbed in flour. Celery and parsley leaves chopped up are also considered an improvement by many. Toast two slices of bread, cut them into dice one-half inch square, fry them in butter, put them into the bottom of your tureen, and then pour the soup boiling hot upon them. Very good."

(I kid you not. Here's the link: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/13923)

On which American president was this dish inflicted? I want to know. We don't make the Queen eat such things. Send them to Cthulu, I say. If his alimentary canal can cope with vivaldirules then squirrels should not be a problem. Failing that, Marc seems distressingly carniverous these days.
I would guess Andy Jackson and that he probably enjoyed it.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:05 AM   #377
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigino View Post
Uhm... Zelda you're making me with all others to write down something a story about a Zelda, a bathtub and squirrels... but I may add also...hmmm....a dog that barks at squirrels?...

(just remembering when I was in the USA over friends house where they had a dog which when looking outside the window he was barking at squirrels... what cute!)
please feel free to add whatever elements to this insane story you think appropriate, with a few significant exceptions (see below). it's a collective endeavour, thus its utter incoherency.

there are only a few rules (that's right, my avatars, my rules) (which i used to naïvely assume were the sort of implicit, commonly understood bases of civilisation as to forego any necessity of mentioning them explicitly, however for at least the first two i discover i was wrong.) :
Rule 1 : NO spiders.
Rule 2 : NO shrimp.
Rule 3 : NO arachnids whatsoever, really, whether marine or land-locked.
Rule 4 : no harming puppies, kittehs, squirrels, or androids.
Rule 5 : i can add rules whenever i want, but no-one else can.
Rule 6 : there is NO rule 6.

Quote:
Ah, plus... just a question... lemme guess all those avatars for Zelda are made by others mobilereaders?... :-)

If yes I could make one too...that'd be fun ;-D
yes, and yes. see the rules above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Is it just me, or is there not a certain arachnoid flavour to the new avatar?
(If you squint, and stand well back - no, further ... right back .... and dim the lights.)
no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Oh noes! Don't say that! Adrian will make my head start singing again!

....Her name was Lola
she was a showgirl...

AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!

Cheers,
Marc (all of the above makes perfect sense in my head)
(thanks Adrian, i know you got my back)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Affirmative (because "yes" was too short, and couldn't ride on the big kid rides).
i said NO.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:07 AM   #378
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Your enormous yellow lips say "No, no no", but your trapezoidal blue eyes say, "Yes, yes, yes".
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:09 AM   #379
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Your enormous yellow lips say "No, no no", but your trapezoidal blue eyes say, "Yes, yes, yes".
listen buster, when it comes to arachnids and shrimp, NO MEANS NO. and i'm not talking about the band.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:13 AM   #380
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Then why is there a Daddy Longlegs on your pretty red head?
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:17 AM   #381
zelda_pinwheel

lalala, i can't hear you...

and if it's like that, i'm going to go have a drink with a friend, and i won't come back until you lot STOP TALKING ABOUT SPIDERS. na.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:34 AM   #382
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Zelda, I thought you stopped smoking yet your teeth are still yellow.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:41 AM   #383
zelda_pinwheel

the better to...

no wait, sorry, wrong thread.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:19 AM   #384
Luigino
Groupie
Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
please feel free to add whatever elements to this insane story you think appropriate, with a few significant exceptions (see below). it's a collective endeavour, thus its utter incoherency.

there are only a few rules (that's right, my avatars, my rules) (which i used to naïvely assume were the sort of implicit, commonly understood bases of civilisation as to forego any necessity of mentioning them explicitly, however for at least the first two i discover i was wrong.) :
Rule 1 : NO spiders.
Rule 2 : NO shrimp.
Rule 3 : NO arachnids whatsoever, really, whether marine or land-locked.
Rule 4 : no harming puppies, kittehs, squirrels, or androids.
Rule 5 : i can add rules whenever i want, but no-one else can.
Rule 6 : there is NO rule 6.
how come "no squirrels"?... even if good words for'em?.... :-D

anyway I'll find some inspiration for'em and I'll publicize :-P

This Lounge in fact is a bit "putting on lost-way people" so only one neuron will win!...
Luigino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:45 AM   #385
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Zelda, I thought you stopped smoking yet your teeth are still yellow.

I rather like your cute nose Zelda ,
or is it an " L " ;
under the new classification , or

an " L " for learner ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:33 PM   #386
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
how come "no squirrels"?... even if good words for'em?.... :-D

anyway I'll find some inspiration for'em and I'll publicize :-P

This Lounge in fact is a bit "putting on lost-way people" so only one neuron will win!...
no no, you misunderstood : you may include as many squirrels as you like (as if there weren't already enough running wold around here...), but you must be kind to them. that's all. kindness is one of the rules.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:36 PM   #387
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
I rather like your cute nose Zelda ,
why thank you.
Quote:
or is it an " L " ;
under the new classification , or

an " L " for learner ...
you'll have to ask marc about his intentions.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:39 PM   #388
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Then why is there a Daddy Longlegs on your pretty red head?
With nine legs ?
Old 05-14-2008, 01:02 PM   #389
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
With nine legs ?
ha !! yes !!! exactly !!! no arachnids having 9 legs !!!

GeoffC is officially the hero of the hour.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:07 PM   #390
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
ha !! yes !!! exactly !!! no arachnids having 9 legs !!!

GeoffC is officially the hero of the hour.
WOW !!! Fame at last ...

Tags
duck!, fun with avatars, thwack!, unutterable silliness, zelda