Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-31-2008, 02:59 PM   #1
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
I'm undecided....shocking, I know!

Hi everyone!

The catalyst for me to get an e-reader is my upcoming trip to Japan. I'll be there for 11 days, and the thought of lugging multiple books there and back is totally unappealing. I was thinking it would be great to have for the trip, and then I could continue from there with primarily ebooks, for titles that are available.

I nearly pushed the order button on Amazon to get the Kindle (my sister in law has one and loves it), but thought twice and decided to do some additional research first. Now I'm just very slightly sorry I've become aware of all the various issues with each e-reader. They say ignorance is bliss, and I guess on this point, I'd agree *lol*.

Anyway, I've narrowed it down to the Sony vs. the Kindle, and here's where I'm at (and I'd love any input you all have):

For me, the biggest pluses for the Kindle are content availability, price of books, and ease of downloading. The minuses for me on the Kindle are the fact that it's the 1.0 version (I'm confident the next gen will be better, but my Japan trip is in 3 weeks), the less than spectacular aesthetic, and the fact that Amazon's iTunes-like business model essentially locks me into Amazon.

Regarding the Sony, I love Sony in general; I've been very pleased with all the Sony products I've bought. I think it's likely built better than the Kindle, definitely has a better aesthetic, and the price is attractive. My major problems with the Sony are that the Sony books are more expensive than Amazon, and there's much less content available.

Knowing myself, if it's a hassle in any way to find or download content, the e-reader will soon be gathering dust in my office. So comments on how much of a challenge it is to find and get content for the Sony would also be appreciated.

I'll let you all know that I don't know a lot about freely available books (like the Gutenberg stuff, or other free downloads people here have mentioned), or much at all about the different formats (MOBI vs. proprietary formats and all that). So I'm still learning, and any advice on these issues (formats, etc) would also be appreciated.

Thank you all in advance!!

Joanne
PsyDocJoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:05 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
My new standard advice will be to order the Kindle for the 30 day trial. Use it on your trip to see how you like it. During that same 30 days, go into a store selling the Sony and play with it (if they will let you) or go to one of the Meetups and play with someone else's Sony. Then make your decision.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2008, 03:10 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
My new standard advice will be to order the Kindle for the 30 day trial. Use it on your trip to see how you like it. During that same 30 days, go into a store selling the Sony and play with it (if they will let you) or go to one of the Meetups and play with someone else's Sony. Then make your decision.

Best advice going. And you are only "locked" into Amazon if you want to purchase their books. You would not believe the amount of free books out there.........the Kindle was love at first sight/hold for me and many others.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:19 PM   #4
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDocJoanne View Post
Hi everyone!

The catalyst for me to get an e-reader is my upcoming trip to Japan. I'll be there for 11 days, and the thought of lugging multiple books there and back is totally unappealing. I was thinking it would be great to have for the trip, and then I could continue from there with primarily ebooks, for titles that are available.

I nearly pushed the order button on Amazon to get the Kindle (my sister in law has one and loves it), but thought twice and decided to do some additional research first. Now I'm just very slightly sorry I've become aware of all the various issues with each e-reader. They say ignorance is bliss, and I guess on this point, I'd agree *lol*.

Anyway, I've narrowed it down to the Sony vs. the Kindle, and here's where I'm at (and I'd love any input you all have):

For me, the biggest pluses for the Kindle are content availability, price of books, and ease of downloading. The minuses for me on the Kindle are the fact that it's the 1.0 version (I'm confident the next gen will be better, but my Japan trip is in 3 weeks), the less than spectacular aesthetic, and the fact that Amazon's iTunes-like business model essentially locks me into Amazon.

Regarding the Sony, I love Sony in general; I've been very pleased with all the Sony products I've bought. I think it's likely built better than the Kindle, definitely has a better aesthetic, and the price is attractive. My major problems with the Sony are that the Sony books are more expensive than Amazon, and there's much less content available.
If you are purchasing the ebook reader for how it looks, then get the Sony. If you are purchasing the ebook reader for reading and you want less expensive content and a built in dictionary, then get the Kindle.

You are not "locked in" to Amazon or to anyone else. The Kindle reads mobi and prc files, so there are lots of places to get books either to purchase or for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDocJoanne View Post
Knowing myself, if it's a hassle in any way to find or download content, the e-reader will soon be gathering dust in my office. So comments on how much of a challenge it is to find and get content for the Sony would also be appreciated.

I'll let you all know that I don't know a lot about freely available books (like the Gutenberg stuff, or other free downloads people here have mentioned), or much at all about the different formats (MOBI vs. proprietary formats and all that). So I'm still learning, and any advice on these issues (formats, etc) would also be appreciated.

Thank you all in advance!!

Joanne

I doubt it's much of a challenge to get content for either type of reader. I've been told that the Sony content is a bit more expensive (don't know ... haven't looked), but then the reader itself is cheaper.

I have no idea if the Sony is built better than the Kindle. I think my Kindle is a thing of beauty and very well made. But then, I've been building and repairing computers (for a hobby) for about 25 years and I've seen a lot of crap. If you like Sony and you trust the company (I do not), then by all means, go out there and grab a Sony.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:39 PM   #5
Professor
Enthusiast
Professor began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Hanlin V3 is very good after I compared the devices in each brand. It is very powerful in language/format supporting. I have ordered one already, it is becoming the most famous ebook reader!
Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2008, 01:21 AM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I think the Sony is gorgeous but ultimately did not buy one because you can't search your books, annotate them or look up things in a dictionary on the device. Kindle also adds web and Wikipedia search. I've also had unsatisfactory experiences with Sony support while I've never had less than excellent support from Amazon. I'm not happy about the DRM but I know that Amazon as a company is not against going DRM-free as evinced by their music service. I hope they'll move that way with books eventually if they can drag the publishers into the 21st century.

Like others say, though, returns are easy.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:51 AM   #7
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor View Post
Hanlin V3 is very good after I compared the devices in each brand. (...) it is becoming the most famous ebook reader!
Care to support that statement with hard data?
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:28 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
If you are purchasing the ebook reader for how it looks, then get the Sony. If you are purchasing the ebook reader for reading and you want less expensive content and a built in dictionary, then get the Kindle.
Can you provide some examples of situations where Kindle content is less expensive than Sony content, please? When I've compared "best-seller" prices between Sony, MobiPocket, and Kindle stores, I've found the prices to be virtually identical.

If dictionary lookup is important to you, the CyBook Gen3 should also be considered; the Kindle has its one built-in dictionary; the Gen3 has hundreds of different ones to choose from, and allows multiple dictionaries to be installed. It also allows you to install your own fonts - a very useful facility which the Kindle currently lacks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:49 PM   #9
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can you provide some examples of situations where Kindle content is less expensive than Sony content, please? When I've compared "best-seller" prices between Sony, MobiPocket, and Kindle stores, I've found the prices to be virtually identical.
If I can butt in, here's an example I just ran into. I decided to purchase the latest Jim Butcher novel in the Dresden Files series, Small Favor. I looked at several options, and found a considerable difference.

MobiPocket: $23.95
Fictionwise: $23.95: $19.16 after rebate (I'm assuming this is their Micro-pay rebate, but not sure)
Amazon Hardcover: $16.29
Sony: $14.37
Kindle: $9.99
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:28 PM   #10
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, jetBook Lite, Kindle 3, Galaxy Note II
I got the Sony last week after a month or so of trying to decide. I read a couple of books on my Palm along the way to make sure that I would actually read eBooks. My office neighbor is a big Kindle fan. I played with the Kindle over a couple of lunches and the new firmware upgrade + price difference swung me over to the Sony. I am happy with the Sony. I could be just as happy with the Kindle. As long as you don't second guess yourself, both are good products!
smithno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:36 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Best advice going. And you are only "locked" into Amazon if you want to purchase their books. You would not believe the amount of free books out there.........the Kindle was love at first sight/hold for me and many others.
Agreed. I have had my Kindle now for a few months. Read about 6 books on it and have yet to buy a book from Amazon. (But that is only because I had so many to read already.)

So far have been reading the freebies from TOR and some Creative Commons (Doctorow) and other out of copyright stuff from Feedbooks.

Although I do plan to start reading the Alex Cross novels then the Women Murder Club novels soon.... and I will be buying these from Amazon. Then perhaps revisting some Cristie. Argh... so many books and not enough time!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:01 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Kindle does not read Mobipocket eBooks with DRM unless you fiddle with them.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:56 AM   #13
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Kindle does not read Mobipocket eBooks with DRM unless you fiddle with them.
I did not know that. I've been giving some people at work the wrong advice. When they ask me about my Sony reader; I tell them about the many websites I'm able to buy books beside from Sony with a little conversion (that was before the upgrade). I also tell them about the Kindle and how it uses Mobipocket and that all the websites that I buy from already has that format available. I now have to tell them only buy non DRM books.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:19 PM   #14
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hi, everyone...

Thanks for your input! I ordered a Kindle last night, and I'm going to load it up, take it to Japan, and see how it goes. Between now and next month, I'm also going to try to see a Sony and get an idea of how they compare.

HarryT, as far as the prices of Sony's book being more, I did a comparison of about 5 or so books (not all bestsellers) on Amazon vs. Sony. Without exception, the Amazon books were less expensive. I'm at my office, but if you're really interested in the titles I compared, let me know, and I can post them when I get home.
PsyDocJoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:32 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I did not know that. I've been giving some people at work the wrong advice. When they ask me about my Sony reader; I tell them about the many websites I'm able to buy books beside from Sony with a little conversion (that was before the upgrade). I also tell them about the Kindle and how it uses Mobipocket and that all the websites that I buy from already has that format available. I now have to tell them only buy non DRM books.
Supposedly you can use the MobiDeDRM.py script to remove the DRM from AZW format and you can use it to remove the DRM from Mobipocket format eBooks that will then work on the Kindle. And then there is Igorsk's script to allow Mobipocket eBooks with DRM to be used on the Kindle.

http://igorsk.blogspot.com/2007/12/m...on-kindle.html
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18310

As for the Sony, you can get Mobipocket, remove the DRM and convert. Same thing with MS Reader format. And MS Reader format converts easily enough to Mobipocket for the Kindle.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!