Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-21-2010, 12:07 PM   #1
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
If you were on the Fence before well The Nooks gone Wild

The regular Nook (3G and Wifi) droped $50 to $199

The Nook Lite is out for $149 same features as the regular Nook just minus the 3G.

Also another Firmware Update has been put out today V.1.4

The long awaited Go To "page number"

more performance speed (though I'm not sure how much faster though, mines plenty fast right now)

Expanded Wi Fi hot spot ( now includes all of At&T wi fi for Free)

and and Extra Extra Large Font size.

This is crazy, Barnes and Noble is laying down the gauntlet.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:50 PM   #2
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Nook has definitely become more attractive with the new cut to $149. Still a Kindle fan myself, but I've played with Nook a bit and it's worth $149.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
they better have plenty for the holiday season
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
Quote:
The long awaited Go To "page number"
I'm amazed it took this long. If I wasn't going to spend all my money at the upcoming 2011 Core Set prerelease event, I'd get a nook as a back up!
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:11 PM   #5
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Not so fast Nook lovers!

Kindle has just hit $189. The decision just became tough again. Still, get off the fence and get either of these bad boys!
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 10:16 PM   #6
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLee View Post
Not so fast Nook lovers!

Kindle has just hit $189. The decision just became tough again. Still, get off the fence and get either of these bad boys!

we knew this was going to happen sooner or later, but what is awesome is its wasn't a gradual price drop Barnes and Noble went crazy with a $60 drop.
Prompting Amazon to do a $70 drop.

Though a couple of trips to the StarBucks cafe for my free coffee fpr Nook only owners will cover the $10 difference, a third trip and I'm ahead of the game
Old 06-21-2010, 10:23 PM   #7
BenLee
eReader Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
we knew this was going to happen sooner or later, but what is awesome is its wasn't a gradual price drop Barnes and Noble went crazy with a $60 drop.
Prompting Amazon to do a $70 drop.

Though a couple of trips to the StarBucks cafe for my free coffee fpr Nook only owners will cover the $10 difference, a third trip and I'm ahead of the game
LOL, I think that's whats prompting everyone to call this a "war." These two are just really going all out with their quick and bold drops. I love it.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:25 PM   #8
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
It's not mentioned, but accented characters and (the "Martín Fierro, the é in José) and apostrophes now show correctly in the Titles of books.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:28 PM   #9
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLee View Post
LOL, I think that's whats prompting everyone to call this a "war." These two are just really going all out with their quick and bold drops. I love it.
I know it, I did a double take when I logged on to BN this morning and then coming back from Lunch to hear about Amazon's response.

It was sort of like watching a prize fight.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:37 PM   #10
dbrowdy
Enthusiast
dbrowdy is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook Wi-Fi
Can someone confirm, please, if I can use files converted in Calibre (ePub or what-have-you) on a Nook? I don't really need the 3G stuff so the $149 Nook seems like a screaming deal. I just want to make sure I can use it with other books than just the B&N books.

If that's the case, I'd say this is hands-down the best eReader you can get for $150. Would you agree?
dbrowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:40 PM   #11
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrowdy View Post
Can someone confirm, please, if I can use files converted in Calibre (ePub or what-have-you) on a Nook? I don't really need the 3G stuff so the $149 Nook seems like a screaming deal. I just want to make sure I can use it with other books than just the B&N books.

If that's the case, I'd say this is hands-down the best eReader you can get for $150. Would you agree?

Yes you can. it supports e-Pub and you can even check out e-books from your local library, shop at e-Pub books at Sony's bookstore, Kobo anywhere that sellls epub.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:52 PM   #12
BenLee
eReader Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I know it, I did a double take when I logged on to BN this morning and then coming back from Lunch to hear about Amazon's response.

It was sort of like watching a prize fight.
Haha.. that's what happened to me too.

I actually saw an official looking Kindle ad and it had a big $189 on there and I thought I was seeing things. Didn't the Nook just drop to around that price??? Who will strike next?
Old 06-22-2010, 03:37 AM   #13
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I'm looking around for a reader for my wife and for my elderly mother-in-law. The Nook might well be top of the list ... if there was a version that didn't include that annoying (and I think unnecessary) colour screen at the bottom of theeink reading display. Is there any GOOD reason for it, Nook owners? Something I've missed? Very best. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:42 AM   #14
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
I'm looking around for a reader for my wife and for my elderly mother-in-law. The Nook might well be top of the list ... if there was a version that didn't include that annoying (and I think unnecessary) colour screen at the bottom of theeink reading display. Is there any GOOD reason for it, Nook owners? Something I've missed? Very best. Neil
A lot of nook owners LOVE that colour screen, Neil. I don't understand it, but I know it's a major selling point. More elegant?

*shrug*

I'd be tempted, colour LCD screen and battery issues aside, if it was a) available in Australia, b) a comparable price here and c) sold by a company offering ebooks to people in my country
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:31 AM   #15
Khai
Enthusiast
Khai began at the beginning.

Device: nook
*cri and weeps 'cos I got mine for $259*

haha it's a good deal for whoever's sitting on the fence though. I really love my nook!
Khai is offline   Reply With Quote