Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-10-2010, 05:04 PM   #31
Waba
Groupie
Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, PRS-350/950, HP Touchpad, Kindle Keyboard
I can't help but look at that and think, minus the header/footer, I could fit all that text, at nearly the same size!, on a 505.

I can comfortably read 1 handed, even standing, with a 505... The only way I could hold the ipad was with 2 hands or a single handed death grip of fear.
Waba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:13 PM   #32
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waba View Post
I can't help but look at that and think, minus the header/footer, I could fit all that text, at nearly the same size!, on a 505.
I came from a 505... not even close. The iPad, even using iBooks, displays more characters per page using a similar sized font. Using Stanza that would be many, many more.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 05:17 PM   #33
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waba View Post

I can comfortably read 1 handed, even standing, with a 505... The only way I could hold the ipad was with 2 hands or a single handed death grip of fear.
I don't think so-I'm reading PDFs easily now on the iPad that really weren't readable (to me) on my 505. But yeah, the 505 was definitely easy to use one-handed.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:31 PM   #34
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotoman View Post
The overall size is almost identical to the average hardcover and even with iBook's generous margins it's pretty close....
Close?!

With the bezel and the cover in there, yes. But the book you have looks like it has a page size just about 11".

You'll need a device with an 11" screen for "close."

That's what I am waiting for.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:07 PM   #35
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
edit: and I'm enjoying reading on the iPad...but got pretty used to reading on the iPhone's small screen, which replaced my Sony 505 as my main eReader.
I sold my Sony 500 because I found I was doing more enjoyable reading on my iPhone.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 07:31 PM   #36
Trubu
Zealot
Trubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, Nook, iPhone 3GS, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Close?!

With the bezel and the cover in there, yes. But the book you have looks like it has a page size just about 11".

You'll need a device with an 11" screen for "close."

That's what I am waiting for.
So the device has to exactly match the printed page size? Can't wait to see the tablet they come out with for tabloid size. Hopefully it will come with some kind of baby-carrier type harness you can strap on for easy, hands-free transport.
Trubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:54 PM   #37
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none

unless it literally is epaper i'll pass. i'm sure a tabloid sized ipad would be unwieldy.

what is the hang-up with maintaining printed book sized pages, margins, etc.? the ipad is not a book! neither is a sony reader! nor is a kindle! if you want to read a printed book, smell the paper, feel pages under your fingers, then go read a printed book.

the sooner one gives up the expectations that any ereader is a book the more quickly they'll adapt to using a new format. besides, show me any physical book that let you change the margins or font, without some scissors and glue that is!
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #38
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Interesting discussion, thanks all.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:08 AM   #39
nremondelli
Zealot
nremondelli is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
I don't have an iPad, but I think I understand what you're saying. It happens to me when I try to read a book on my laptop. I tend to read more quickly and superficially, and not get immersed in what I'm reading. It's not that I'm tempted to do something else, but I just can't go into reading mode. It feels more like reading things on the internet. I read maybe more words on the internet than in a book, but it is not the same reading at all. It's probably a psychological thing. I believe that if I tried to read on an iPad, or on any device that reminds me of a computer, I would have the same feeling.
Thank you! You were able to articulate EXACTLY what I was feeling!
nremondelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:39 AM   #40
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by nremondelli View Post
Well I have to disagree partly. I do agree reading a novel on a computer in a web browser is a terrible experience and I can't be bothered. But on a pc, I use Microsoft Reader format and I enjoy the experience and get immersed in what I'm reading. It has a nice minimal interface that doesn't distract.
The iPad I'm finding is also an excellent reading platform. I don't feel any distraction while reading on it. There is no popups, other apps running, icons for other apps tempting me to run them. Here is snapshot of what iBooks looks like for me. I don't have to smell my book to get into it but I do have to have a nicely sized text page without colourful bells and whistles around it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0033.png
Views:	263
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	53192  

Last edited by tyche; 06-11-2010 at 06:40 AM. Reason: got that thumbs down icon again. I need to pay attention
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:41 AM   #41
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nremondelli View Post
But isn't that just a matter of "adjusting"

I kind of thought/felt that way at first about my Sony 505, but by the time I finished reading my first novel on it, it was no different experience than reading from paper.

I will admit that I don't care for reading fiction on a computer monitor, but reading on a hand-held device that I can move around and "curl up with", walk and read, etc. more or less like a book, the experience is similar if not the same.

Perhaps the iPad is just too big or heavy or doesn't emulate a printed page well enough?
Old 06-11-2010, 07:46 AM   #42
JimKal
Zealot
JimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad, iMac,iPhone, Kindle Touch
Before buying the iPad I went to B&N and played with the Nook. While I found the interface not to be to my liking (and I understand that there are many who do like that interface) I found the screen size to be to be too small for me. Then again, I have always preferred hardbacks or trade paperbacks. I think it's great that there are so many options to fit all of our likes and dislikes. E-readers and the opportunities they offer to all of us to explore the classics and new low cost offerings are changing the way we get books. Find the device you like and have fun with it.
JimKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:48 AM   #43
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
As I said in an earlier post on this thread, I can see the distraction problem. When I have my iPad on there are so many options of things to do. Should I work a crossword puzzle, check email, sketch, create a beat, surf the web, play a game, read a book, listen to music, work on an excel or word doc.... and the list goes on and on.

For my wife and I the book reading experience on the iPad is the best ever. But, I would say that I read about 25% less than I did on the Sony reader. And that is not a bad thing, just a reality. Since I do not watch TV or movies (even on the iPad) it is not a negative to me. Instead I find that I do more creative things than before, and enjoy the mind stretching puzzle games.

But, for the person that is distracted from reading to watch the ABC app or Netflix all the time... could be an issue. Or not, I guess it's really perception.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:52 AM   #44
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

I can hardly think to blame a device that gives you options to do things other than read.

it's also less likely that future devices will only display books as well, the kindle has had email and web surfing, no matter how slowly, for a long time now. nook got games recently. others will be forced to go multi-function or simple be passed over by consumers as "limited"
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #45
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
I can hardly think to blame a device that gives you options to do things other than read.

it's also less likely that future devices will only display books as well, the kindle has had email and web surfing, no matter how slowly, for a long time now. nook got games recently. others will be forced to go multi-function or simple be passed over by consumers as "limited"
Interesting you should say that after arguing with me when I say the iPad is not fully functional.

Guess it's like politicians, whichever way the wind blows.