Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 10-05-2009, 03:09 PM   #1
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Nook, Astak EZ Reader Pocket, iPhone 3g, Droid
University Textbooks and Astak EZ Reader Pocket

I recently purchased the Astak EZ Reader Pocket which I should be receiving tomorrow or Wednesday.

one of the reason I purchased it is because of the formats it accepts. It is basically what I need it for.

I am taken online courses at University of Phoenix Axia College. I work full time, and really hate reading my text books on the computer, and printing them out would kill a whoel forest.

I am just wondering if anyone has experience with this, and if PDF files work on the EZ reader. The only reason I ask, when you first download it, you have to put in your username and password and save the credentials to unlock it.

Thank you, this community looks very helpful, and I have already learned a lot about my new toy when it comes in.
rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:10 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Mobile Adobe Digital Editions does not support passworded PDFs. The PocketPro also has xpdf for PDFs, but I doubt it supports passwords (on the Pocket Pro).

With most passworded PDFs it is very easy to produce a password-free version. However, "credentials" does not sound like a standard passworded PDF. There are quite a few 3rd party add-ons for DRM in PDFs, which may be hard to crack.

If this is a standard PDF password, then PdfCrypt is one free Windows program to remove the encryption given the password.

If printing is allowed, you can print to a virtual PDF printer.

EDIT: See How to read the encrypted PDF file, for xpdf only.

Last edited by wallcraft; 10-07-2009 at 12:16 PM. Reason: See post #6
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Printing is allowed.

I am trying Zamzar now to see if I can convert it to a DOC filetype.

The password I have to put in are my University Login and password.

I work fulltime, so I would love to be able to read my textbooks when I am on the train on the device. I know there are probably work arounds, there seems to be a work around for everything this days, but a part of me was wishing it was just as simple as drag and drop, which I doubted anyway.

Thanks for you response, I guess I will have to wait until Wednesday to see what I have to do. I really want it in my hands now lol. O Well I am about to finish The Black Order, and go on the Judas Strain which I should have done by Wednesday, so the next in the Sigma Force series I will read in E-book form. I have the kindle app on my Iphone and the B&N reader, which is nice, but way too small and not enough freedom.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:50 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you can print it to a PDF document (there are a lot of "print to PDF" applications out there), and you don't want to wait until Wednesday, try reading it using Sony eBook Library Software. Its desktop reader implements mobile Adobe Digital Editions with full screen and reflow options similar to the Pocket Pro for PDFs. Don't forget that the Pocket Pro's screen is much smaller that what you see on the screen, but it also has a landscape mode which is missing from the Sony Desktop Reader.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:59 PM   #5
rock
Addict

So I can use CutePDF to print it to a PDF, and then I can drag and drop that to the reader?

That be great. I I will check out the Sony Reader on my netbook, but the reason for the E-reader is the mobility of it. Thanks for your help.
Advert
Old 10-07-2009, 12:10 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Mobile Adobe Digital Editions does not support passworded PDFs. The PocketPro also has xpdf for PDFs, but I doubt it supports passwords (on the Pocket Pro).

With most passworded PDFs it is very easy to produce a password-free version. However, "credentials" does not sound like a standard passworded PDF. There are quite a few 3rd party add-ons for DRM in PDFs, which may be hard to crack.

If this is a standard PDF password, then PdfCrypt is one free Windows program to remove the encryption given the password.

If printing is allowed, you can print to a virtual PDF printer.
xpdf on the pocketpro should support passwords, the version on the V3 certainly did. You place the password in a file in the folder containing the book. It is documented in our wiki and on the Jinke site.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:34 PM   #7
rock
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
xpdf on the pocketpro should support passwords, the version on the V3 certainly did. You place the password in a file in the folder containing the book. It is documented in our wiki and on the Jinke site.

Dale

I should try that.

the cutepdf thing didn't work. So Do I just do like a txt file?

couldn't find anything definitive in the Wiki. Maybe looking wrong place.

Last edited by rock; 10-07-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:11 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock View Post
I should try that.

the cutepdf thing didn't work. So Do I just do like a txt file?

couldn't find anything definitive in the Wiki. Maybe looking wrong place.
Here is what the wiki says: (Hanlin V3 page)

How to read the encrypted PDF file

* For example, for a PDF file named a.pdf, open a notepad (txt) file, and enter into the password and save the file as a.pwd file.
* Copy the a.pwd file into the same folder of a.pdf file, then the encrypted a.pdf file can be read.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:12 PM   #9
rock
Addict

It is a username and password that is needed. That is just for the password.

It says it is a ProtectedPDF.

Is there a way to just remove it?

Last edited by rock; 10-07-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:43 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock View Post
It is a username and password that is needed. That is just for the password.
I have not observed a PDF that needs both a user name and a password. I don't have an answer but things you could try include.

1. A file with the username on one line and the password on the second line.

2. A file with the username on the top line followed by a tab character followed by the password. (no spaces)

Hopefully one of these will work. I have no file to test it.

Dale
Old 10-08-2009, 12:44 PM   #11
rock
Addict

Here is what I get when I try printing it using CutePDF.

Let me say that Printing is ENABLED on this document, as I can print to a regular printer.

Error: Undefined

Offending Command: get

Stack:

/quit

-dictionary-

-mark-
Old 10-09-2009, 12:41 PM   #12
rock
Addict

I used pdftoword website and it worked, but now the format is pretty horrible.

After I put it to word I printed it with CutePDF to get it back to PDF. but now there are black edges and the format looks off.

I am assuming it has something to do with margins in word.

Anyone know what I should do.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:57 PM   #13
Kent Walters
Connoisseur
Kent Walters has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iRex DR1000S, Astak EZreader (Hanlin V3)
rock,

Try asking the University of Phoenix; I'm sure you aren't their only student with an eBook reader. Let us know what they say.

Kent Walters
Kent Walters is offline   Reply With Quote