Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-06-2008, 10:06 PM   #1
Be Szpilman
Fetch that LRF
Be Szpilman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, Treo 650
Using your finger as a reading aid/pacer

First of all, let me say I just got a PRS505, very aware of the new model, and am loving the baby. I'm quite skeptical with the PRS700, with it's buttons and looks redesign, and then the touch screen functionality has me a little worried due to my reading habits.

As some may know, many speed reading techniques have at their heart the use of the finger (or a stylus, for that matter) as a reading pacer, and as we all know, the reader will make use of swipes for page turning. Considering I'm always swiping through the lines as I read, I'm wondering how this will play with the reader's inputs. I'm thinking even if there's a speed threshold for the swipe to be recognized, a fast reader can always surpass it. So the touch controls MUST be optional. And then, if I must use the 'old style', of pressing a button, how reachable and comfortable is that for any hand (left or right), and for any screen orientation ? I know I like the current 505 button setup.

Lastly, these questions may be for speculative discussion, for a Sony rep, to someone who got or will get hands on, for after release, or, if all fail, rethoric.

Edit: By "MUST be optional", I mean I have to be able to turn them OFF. Just not using is not enough in this case. But then not all touch controls, since maybe marking up a word, and hopefully looking it up with a dictionary function, won't interfere as much.

Last edited by Be Szpilman; 10-06-2008 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Extra info & clearing up
Be Szpilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:13 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzpilman View Post
I'm quite skeptical with the PRS700, with it's buttons and looks redesign, and then the touch screen functionality has me a little worried due to my reading habits.
Don't worry... be happy. It is supposed to be configurable to tap, left swipe, right swipe. I would be surprised if you couldn't turn it off too. Do you actually have to touch the screen to speed read?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2008, 10:40 PM   #3
Be Szpilman
Fetch that LRF

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Don't worry... be happy. It is supposed to be configurable to tap, left swipe, right swipe. I would be surprised if you couldn't turn it off too. Do you actually have to touch the screen to speed read?

BOb
Yes, I do have to touch it. In fact, I don't ever lose contact with the screen until the page is over and I'm back to the top.

Because of that, I guess I would be okay with tapping, since I'm not doing anything close to tapping while perusing the lines. I wouldn't want to turn off the touch screen completely, especially if dictionary support is offered up.

Hovering over the screen is too strainful on the fingers, not worth it.
Speaking of which, for all people worried about what the swiping motion will do to the screen, I'm happy to report I'm rubbing the display 99% of my reading time and it looks just as crisp as always, not greasy in the slightest.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:22 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzpilman View Post
I'm happy to report I'm rubbing the display 99% of my reading time and it looks just as crisp as always, not greasy in the slightest.
And you could always wear white gloves... while you eread at the gentleman's club.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:54 AM   #5
Be Szpilman
Fetch that LRF

Quote:
And you could always wear white gloves... while you eread at the gentleman's club.
And I would always stop midway through a book to drink the afternoon tea with the guys. That would be my only interaction with human beings there. Arthur C. Clarke would be too jealous of anymore.
Advert
Old 11-28-2008, 01:00 AM   #6
nexgen
nexgen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Any update on this?

I'm also wondering same thing about the PRS-700. Can anyone who have used this device post their feedback on this. Can we turn off the touch screen when we are speed reading using finger as a pacer?
nexgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 07:10 PM   #7
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
you cant turn of the touch screen, but its not that sensitive.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:21 AM   #8
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I'm sure the touchscreen is fine, just don't use it while eating fried chicken
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:19 AM   #9
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
well you wouldnt want to read a book with greesy fingers either.

all in all the touch screen is intuitive and it just works. the same force you need to turn a paper page is the right force to turn the page on this. anything short of that is hit or miss, and most of the time miss. and thats when i want to change the page
i have never accidently changed the page on this

on the kindle that happened once ever 25 pages.
on the prs 500 that happened once ever 50 pages.

i would always leave my finger over the page turn button. but accidental page turns just dont happen with this device
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote