Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-18-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
Sregener
Addict
Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Model Name Frustration

So Tanga had a deal-of-the-day for Kindle covers. Great price, so I bought one. It was advertised as fitting the "latest generation" Kindle. It arrives and, of course, my Kindle doesn't fit because my Kindle is too small!

Why, oh why, didn't Amazon give these things model numbers so they would be easy to tell apart? Obviously, the "latest generation" when that cover was made is not the same as the current "latest generation" Kindle. I've seen it called "fourth generation, non-touch" or 4NT for short, but this is obviously not an official name.

I'm out $6, which isn't so bad. But it does make buying a cover much more complicated than it should be. ARGHHH!
Sregener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Mine was illustrated as a generic cover for all readers. My paperwhite is too small for it, like yours, I still use it . So what if its too small.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Kindle, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Touch, and Kindle Paperwhite I think covers all but the first and second Kindles. What I call the Kindle Basic is referred to by Kindle as Kindle. I think that's an error on their part since many users can't seem to master the distinction between models including the game machines.

Any advertisement for a cover that would fit "any Kindle" would have to be bogus unless it was a roll of duct tape.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Yep I think it's only the basic Kindle that they haven't applied a number to (or more recently a name), and as you say patrickt, that's their only fault. It just makes it a little confusing.

Kindle 1, Kindle 2, Kindle 3/Kindle Keyboard, Kindle/Kindle 4/Kindle NT, Kindle Touch, Kindle Paperwhite.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
Sregener
Addict
Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Mine was illustrated as a generic cover for all readers. My paperwhite is too small for it, like yours, I still use it . So what if its too small.
It won't securely hold the Kindle inside. And it makes the cover much larger than it needs to be.
Sregener is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

As I recall, and I could be remembering incorrectly, the Kindle 1 was referred to by Amazon simply by the name kindle. Then after the Kindle 2 was released it was referred to by the name Kindle. Same for the Kindle 3, which wasn't officially named the Kindle Keyboard until after the Kindle 4 a non-keyboard version was released. And then the Kindle 4 officially was named the Kindle. Finally with the Kindle Touch we had a name that was distinctive to only one released model of a six inch eInk Kindle. The Kindle 5 non-touch kept the same simple name of Kindle making it very difficult to know whether someone was referring to the Kindle non-touch generation 4 or generation 5. The Kindle Paperwhite is only the second six inch Kindle to receive a distinctive name. It can be rather confusing for consumers! Pity they didn't use a numbering system like Sony did, but Amazon tends to do its own thing.
  • Kindle 1 - named Kindle
  • Kindle 2 - named Kindle
  • Kindle 3 - originally named Kindle, later named Kindle Keyboard
  • Kindle 4 non-touch - named Kindle
  • Kindle 4 touchscreen - named Kindle Touch
  • Kindle 5 non-touch - named Kindle
  • Kindle 5 lighted touchscreen - named Kindle Paperwhite

Last edited by jswinden; 02-18-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
No, I am KINDLE!

tee hee hee

and so's my wife
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
http://www.sfbags.com has some good kindle slip cases for different types of Kindles and they have the model names like (Keyboard and Paperwhite) on them so you know what you're buying. Cost more than $6.00 but good quality workmanship.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sregener View Post
So Tanga had a deal-of-the-day for Kindle covers. Great price, so I bought one. It was advertised as fitting the "latest generation" Kindle. It arrives and, of course, my Kindle doesn't fit because my Kindle is too small!
The "latest generation" Kindle was Amazon's original name for the Kindle Keyboard.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #10
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Question:

Is the KINDLE 69 exactly the same under the hood as the old kindle 4 NT then?

IE... if I wanted to provide support would I be okay to get the NEW one and that would be fine as an "image" of the older models?

Just wondered if anyone knew.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've never heard of a "Kindle 69".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #12
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I would assume it's referring the the Kindle model that currently sells for $69.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've never heard of a "Kindle 69".
no way am I touch that one
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #14
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I would assume it's referring the the Kindle model that currently sells for $69.
For the want of a "better" distinctive name.
That one sticks in the mind I thought.

So... the question stands.

I guess I should just open this as a new thread. Much obliged
Old 02-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Question:

Is the KINDLE 69 exactly the same under the hood as the old kindle 4 NT then?

IE... if I wanted to provide support would I be okay to get the NEW one and that would be fine as an "image" of the older models?

Just wondered if anyone knew.
As far as I know they are identical in firmware and hardware. I own both K4s and the only difference is contrast and bezel color. The black does has a different finish on the back.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote