Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #16
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Is that article correct? I thought I've read on this forum multiple times that Fairplay hasn't (never has been) cracked?
Fairplay for iBooks hadn't been circumvented before the release of requiem 3.3 earlier this month. Since this site is all about ebooks, that's what's been mentioned in the past.

The Fairplay DRM on music and videos has been circumvented several times,but Apple are usually quite quick to change iTunes to block the circumvention.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #17
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Is that article correct? I thought I've read on this forum multiple times that Fairplay hasn't (never has been) cracked?
Fairplay for eBooks hadn't been cracked.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #18
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It is now possible to remove the DRM from epub ebooks bought in Apple's iBooks store.

"Brahms", has recently released a new version, 3.3, of his Requiem software, which has been able to remove DRM from music and videos bought in the iTunes Music Store for a long time.

This new version can also remove the DRM from Apple's epub format ebooks.

Although DRM removal tools can be discussed on MobileRead in a general way, the tools themselves, links to to tools, or even detailed instructions on how to find and use the tools are not permitted.

Any such uploads, links or detailed instructions will be deleted.
Thanks. Had a couple of books I had gotten free. Removed one but the other it says can't find the key. Too bad. It's a cookbook and too hard to read on the iPhone.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:29 AM   #19
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Thanks. Had a couple of books I had gotten free. Removed one but the other it says can't find the key. Too bad. It's a cookbook and too hard to read on the iPhone.

Carol
Sometimes iBooks don't have any DRM in the first place. I assume you checked that, first?

I know some of the first books I got there were just non-drm'd EPUBs.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:32 AM   #20
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Sometimes iBooks don't have any DRM in the first place. I assume you checked that, first?

So you just rename them?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #21
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:

No, I checked it and it has DRM. Won't open in anything. No big deal. I had gotten 3 freebees and 2 decrypted fine but the third one, a recipe book, won't decrypt. It's just way too small to read on the iPhone.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:41 AM   #22
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I only own one iBook. It was given away free for a day over a year ago. It has DRM, and therefore I can't read it on either of my dedicated ereaders, which means I haven't read it, and haven't bought any iBooks.

I do occasionally read on my iOS devices, but I like to have some choice.

That said, I doubt I will remember to look into this before they patch it. Not for a book I'm not all that bothered about anyway.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:23 AM   #23
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Fairplay for iBooks hadn't been circumvented before the release of requiem 3.3 earlier this month. Since this site is all about ebooks, that's what's been mentioned in the past.

The Fairplay DRM on music and videos has been circumvented several times,but Apple are usually quite quick to change iTunes to block the circumvention.
Well that depends if they see ebook sales increase they might not be that quick to block it.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:45 AM   #24
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Well that depends if they see ebook sales increase they might not be that quick to block it.
If their agreement with book publishers is like the agreement with the music publishers, they have to fix things (i.e. make the DRM secure again) within a certain time.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #25
mobiread2012
mobiread2012 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Post DRM-Free iBooks

DRM-free iBooks do exist:

From iBooks FAQ:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4059

How can I determine which books are copy-protected (DRM) versus those that are DRM-free?

iTunes can show you the kind of book you have by selecting the book and then choosing File > Get Info. If the Kind is marked as Book, this is a book you downloaded from the Internet. If it is listed as Purchased Book, it is a DRM-free book downloaded from the iBookstore. If it is listed as Protected Book, it is a copy-protected book from the iBookstore.
mobiread2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #26
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Yes, I have a few unprotected ones from the iBooks store. Would like to liberate the others (can't even read them on my iPhone, as it is arbitrarily "too old" (despite being otherwise identical to the iPod Touch of it's generation that does run iBooks).

Sadly, locked up on torrents (unlike alf's toolbox).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #27
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Sadly, locked up on torrents (unlike alf's toolbox).
Ah so its not only me, I thought I must of been googling the wrong name I couldn't find it anywhere. There's only really one freebie book I want to liberate anyway, looking at my TPR pile I won't need to get to it until 2018
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #28
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Love my iPad 2, hate iTunes and iTunes Store!

I don't buy Apple ebooks.

So ... thanks, but no thanks!
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #29
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiread2012 View Post
From iBooks FAQ:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4059

How can I determine which books are copy-protected (DRM) versus those that are DRM-free?

iTunes can show you the kind of book you have by selecting the book and then choosing File > Get Info. If the Kind is marked as Book, this is a book you downloaded from the Internet. If it is listed as Purchased Book, it is a DRM-free book downloaded from the iBookstore. If it is listed as Protected Book, it is a copy-protected book from the iBookstore.
So, you can only find out if it's DRMd after buying it?
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:16 PM   #30
TheSFReader
Groupie
TheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really nice

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck
So, you can only find out if it's DRMd after buying it?
Duno, but this problem exists on the Amazon FR, IT, and SP stores.
TheSFReader is offline   Reply With Quote