Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-06-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
taniak
taniak began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Talking Are updates available for Kindle´s dictionaries?

Hello, I just got a Kindle device and I am really new at this (to kindle AND to foruns)... and I´m brazilian... so pardon any english mistakes everyone...
I intend to buy a portuguese dictionary (priberam) that, apparently, is the only one available for kindle, but I´ve read the reviews there and some of them are saying that it is not that great and there should be some improvementes, but I really could use it anyway..
What I wanted to know is this: if I buy it now and they have a better edition later, do I have do buy it again or I have the right to get an update?
Thanks...
taniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
I wouldn't count too much on a free update which would turn an average into a great dictionary. Try mobipocket.com, their dictionaries should work if you deDRM them, I don't know if they have Portuguese dictionaries though.
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by taniak View Post
What I wanted to know is this: if I buy it now and they have a better edition later, do I have do buy it again or I have the right to get an update?
Thanks...
It depends. If they issue the new version as an update to the existing edition, you'll be asked whether you want the new version when it becomes available. If they issue the new version as a new edition, you'd need to buy it again.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
macminer
Connoisseur
macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Lenovo Tab 4 8" (formerly many others)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It depends. If they issue the new version as an update to the existing edition, you'll be asked whether you want the new version when it becomes available. If they issue the new version as a new edition, you'd need to buy it again.
Yes, but this really depends on the publisher. As an example, I bought the Longman Dictionary of English Language (LDOCE) through Mobipocket years ago. It was the 3rd edition. After several years, when I wanted to activate that dictionary on my new palmtop (which required a re-download) I was surprised to see that instead of the old one I received the fresh 5th edition. Later I re-downloaded my dictionary also to the Mobipocket Reader on my PC and it was again the new version. I guess Longman decided to replace the 3rd edition in Mobipocket Store with 5th one as a courtesy to the readers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ldoce.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	76239  
macminer is offline   Reply With Quote