Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-14-2011, 02:42 AM   #31
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
I don't think it's a good idea to have both yifanlu's latest jailbreak and Updates Provider hack installed at the same time.
Both hacks shuffle the keys and they could conflict.

Either uninstall the jailbreak after installing Updates Provider hack or more preferably install an older version of yifanlu's jailbreak that is able to prevent Amazon updates (0.3) or install NiLuJe's jailbreak.

To sum it up, if I were you, I would just install NiLuJe's latest jailbreak or yifanlu's old jailbreak 0.3 and create an empty file ENABLE_HACK_UPDATES in the root of the user store. That should block any official updates from Amazon. Then I would install disable-autoupdates to prevent Kindle from even _trying_ to install downloaded update while being idle (as that would fail anyway).

Last edited by dsmid; 04-14-2011 at 02:49 AM.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:35 AM   #32
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
I thought that yifanlu's latest jailbreak does not shuffle with the keys anymore and that
yifanlu (and NiLuJe) were actually referring to the Updates Provider hack to disable the updates for yifanlu's 0.4 jailbreak?
Anyway, if you (as the author of the Updates Provider hack) feel that it may be unsafe then it is certainly better to install NiLuJe's jailbreak that provides this feature built-in.
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2011, 01:54 PM   #33
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Keep in mind that, in my case, it's more of a side-effect than a feature, it may go 'poof' without warning in the next update...
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:38 PM   #34
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
Ok, let's summarize: dsmid does not recommend using his Update Provider hack along a 3.1 jailbreak due to possible conflicts, NiLuJe does not recommend using equivalent feature in his jailbreak due to questionable forward compatibility and yifanlu even removed it from his jailbreak already. Guys, I must say I am quite glad I decided not to upgrade to 3.1
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote