Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-15-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
Mopsa Aspom
Mopsa Aspom began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-350
Annotation speed in PRS-350

Can you tell me about the speed of the note taking process in PRS-350?
I have the Sony Reader PRS-600 and the time it takes to annotate (generally I just underline interesting passages) increases as I progress in the book, until it becomes despairing.
The weird thing is that even if the disk is almost empty, as I annotate a book, the process gets slower.
Imagine I have just one book of 300 pages in my reader – as I begin reading and annotating, the annotation is quick, but as I progress along the book, the annotation process gets slower, and slower (until it takes about 20 seconds to accept a note). And imagine I have a second book in my reader and, after reading and annotating the first, I pass to the second (without deleting the first book or the annotations from the reader). The same thing happens – at the beginning of the book, note taking is quick, and then it gets slower.
As annotation is very important for me, I’m searching for a good alternative to my PRS-600.
Mopsa Aspom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:13 AM   #2
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
I havn't tried annotating LRF's or PDF's but annotating EPUBs using the built in touch screen 'highlighting' function doesn't seemed to slow down as you described at all.

You just tap and drag to mark the text; the reader tries to look up the text and brings up the option menu (which takes only a second or so); then you pick the highlighter icon to change the selection to a highlight (again only a second or so).

Last edited by delphin; 02-16-2011 at 05:21 AM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2011, 06:33 AM   #3
Mopsa Aspom

Thank you, delphin.
It's when I pick the highlighter icon to change the selection to a highlight that the reader takes a lot of time. Everything until that point is fast and normal.
It's very annoying and is making me annotate less, so that the reading can go at a reasonable speed.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:12 AM   #4
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
There may a slight increase if you do hundreds of notes, but I just double checked and inserting a highlight at page 200 in an EPUB book with about 50 other highlights only took only about 4 seconds to go from marked to highlighted when you hit the highlighter icon.

The only PDF file I have currently loaded is the Sony user guide, but I did do a quick check of a single highlight at page 125, and got about 3 seconds.

I am not sure if LRF format would take longer, but I would guess that annotations are probably faster across the board, if nothing else, because the processor is faster on the new readers.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
Mopsa Aspom

Ok, thank you very much, delphin
Advert