Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-09-2010, 12:07 AM   #1
yleibu
yleibu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, iPodTouch
One Kobo eReader, two Kobo store accounts ?

I apologize if this was discussed here or on another forum before.

My wife and me share one Kobo reader, but have two separate Kobo store accounts.
I am having trouble loading books purchased in her account to ADE, although we use only one ADE id, with which we authorize both the computers that we are using and the Kobo reader. The error message that ADE keeps sending is

<License server communications problem
E_LIC_ALREADY_FULFILLED_BY_ANOTHER_USER>

Thanks for any ideas as to how we could solve this issue.
yleibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:18 AM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Oh oh, another unusual use-case! The users are so much more inventive than the test-case generators...
I really don't know how the authorizing of Kobo accounts is tied to the Adobe account, but I'm not too surprised that your use-case causes trouble. I'm sure they expected couples who share a single Kobo to share a single account, as well.
I'm not sure there is anything that can be done here except to contact Kobo's customer support and ask them to close one account and transfer its books over to the other account. But they may have other suggestions.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2010, 12:33 AM   #3
yleibu

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Oh oh, another unusual use-case! The users are so much more inventive than the test-case generators...
I really don't know how the authorizing of Kobo accounts is tied to the Adobe account, but I'm not too surprised that your use-case causes trouble. I'm sure they expected couples who share a single Kobo to share a single account, as well.
I'm not sure there is anything that can be done here except to contact Kobo's customer support and ask them to close one account and transfer its books over to the other account. But they may have other suggestions.
Thank you pholy.
I'll follow up on your suggestion.
Thanks again.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:28 AM   #4
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
This is exactly why people object to DRM! I remember trying to download a few freebie books for my mom before I gave her the Kobo I had just so she could try it out, and when I tried to authorize ADE on her machine, I got these same error messages.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:53 AM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
This is probably an unpopular POV, but the DRM is doing it's job--if you didn't buy the book, you have no access to the download. My husband and I share one Kobo account and one ADE account. We also share one credit card . It works just fine. I cannot share the books in that account with the people in my book club unless they too have my account information (including passwords) and then they have to want only my books--because a second account will be a no go--or I have to be OK with them charging their new books to my credit card (not likely).

We had a problem with our ADE (long story) and ended up with two ADE accounts on one Kobo account. Kobo support went into our account and set them all to the same ADE--problem solved. It's worth asking if they can combine your two accounts, for sure.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2010, 08:53 AM   #6
yleibu

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
This is probably an unpopular POV, but the DRM is doing it's job--if you didn't buy the book, you have no access to the download. My husband and I share one Kobo account and one ADE account. We also share one credit card . It works just fine. I cannot share the books in that account with the people in my book club unless they too have my account information (including passwords) and then they have to want only my books--because a second account will be a no go--or I have to be OK with them charging their new books to my credit card (not likely).

We had a problem with our ADE (long story) and ended up with two ADE accounts on one Kobo account. Kobo support went into our account and set them all to the same ADE--problem solved. It's worth asking if they can combine your two accounts, for sure.
Not particularly user friendly, but it makes sense.
Thanks for your insights.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:16 AM   #7
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
The same issue could occur at Amazon, I'd imagine. Although you can authorise 6 copies of most DRM content, a single Kindle account tracks this. So, in a two Kindle account household you'd have to swap devices depending on the account. Erm, just like you do with a paperback.

I maintain one Kindle account but have two Kindles so the hubby can read on his own -- and we manage one collection of books. I am hoping to use the identical strategy when I get the wifi Kobo in a week or so. I assume that works with both the desktop and the ADE software?

And, as taming pointed out, the DRM is doing its job. I am fully supportive of that. Kobo's job is to ensure the user experience is as simple and transparent as possible.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:27 PM   #8
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
If you are married and share an account with two devices, and you get divorced, who gets the account? Wouldn't just one person get access to the books?

Not that I'm planning anything....
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote