Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-02-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
WarumIch
WarumIch began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, iPhone
calibre and Stanza

I'm using calibre as an replacement for Stanza Desktop, because it has a better conversion quality. But I have two Problems:

1) I can't change the Font of the ebooks in Stanza iPhone.

2) I'm not able to download any ebook with Stanza iPhone from the calibre server. I have to import the calibre ePub File in Stanza Desktop to download it with Stanza iPhone.
In calibre I activatet the calibre server and in Stanza iPhone I use the IP 192.168.1.199:8080/stanza (192.168.1.199 is the IP of my Mac). The IP is listed in the catalog, but with a red symbol. If i click this symbol, it turns green and a window appears, which asks me, if i want to download stanza. But then I get a failure message something like: unable to download: download_2.

Did anybody know, what i made wrong? The Firewall is deaktivatet. Do i have to change something at my router (Time Capsule)?

Sorry for my englisch and greetings from germany.
WarumIch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:34 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
What do you mean by 1)?

As for 2) someone with a iPhone will probably be able to help you more than I could
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:19 AM   #3
WarumIch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
What do you mean by 1)?
If I try to change the font in stanza for iPhone, then nothing happens, the ebook uses always the same Font. For example, if I change to Helvetica in the Stanza for iPhone Settings, then it did not work.

Ebooks, which were created by Stanza Desktop do display the ebook with an other Font, but not ebooks which were created with calibre.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:58 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Ah well if the source material for the ebook specifies a font, calibre leaves that there, whereas stanza desktop strips everything out.

And apparently the stanza reader cannot override a specified font. This is a bug in the stanza reader
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:30 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
BTW: You don't need to use Stanza if you are using the calibre server. Make sure Stanza is not running on your mac, because it also runs a server... which may be conflicting.

Your problem sounds familiar but I don't recall what it was. Can you try using the hostname.local:8080?

Are you running your firewall?

Have you tried running the server from the terminal rather than the GUI?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:43 AM   #6
WarumIch

I tryed your suggestions, but without success.

But I don't know, how to run the calibre server from terminal.

In Stanza I should write the URL in this way?: http:FranksMac.local:8080/stanza? (FranksMac ist the bonjour Name of my Mac). Is this wright?

In the server Logs of calibre in found in the Failure Log the following message:
[01/Mar/2009:16:49:25] ENGINE Serving on 0.0.0.0:8080
I guess, this should be somethink like 192.168.1.200:8080 or FranksMac:8080?

Last edited by WarumIch; 03-05-2009 at 01:49 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:48 AM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
http://FranksMac.local:8080/stanza

I haven't fixed my Hackintosh yet. Will do that later and install Calibre on it to test.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:22 AM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
One of my customers is apparently having similar issues, but I don't know yet if it is a Calibre issue. First, he reported locked-down fonts with the files I sent him (Mobi format originally created with Calibre... he converted for Stanza, but I don't know yet what with). He also reported HTML issues with the files I sent him.

I sent him new files created with Mobipocket Creator instead, and he reported the HTML issues were taken care of (so there may be a Calibre issue there). However, he still has font lock-down problems. I'm trying to ascertain what conversion SW he's using.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:15 AM   #9
ChrisZA
Enthusiast
ChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enough

Device: iPhone
I know what's wrong: you need to add a MIME type to your web server, through IIS. You will know when you have it right when you can:
- Open your 192... age from your browser
- Click a book and it will DOWNLOAD (ie not try to open)
- Then you can repeat from safari on iphone
- Now stanza will work to download
- HOWEVER, you will find the cover art and tags/categories are all lost...

mime type is .epub with application/x-msdownload (or somethign very simuilar - google)
ChrisZA is offline   Reply With Quote