Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-18-2015, 11:31 AM   #1
01Tangled
01Tangled began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Nook Samsung by Tablet sort by Author

I recently got the Nook Samsung Tablet. While it's great, it doesn't allow books/files to be sorted by author, only by title.

I use Calibre with my fanfiction, and so was able to reverse those titles/authors to get them to sort the way I wanted on my Nook. I noticed though, that a couple of titles had been changed. I went to Calibre to fix the titles by hand, and ran into a huge problem.

If the title has the word "with", that word is automatically changed into "&".

So for example, "The Problem with Purity" became "The Problem & Purity."

Something with the author sort is causing this I think, because I would change it in both the author and author sort fields, but the author sort field kept turning red even though both fields matched.

I've tried...
(author --> author sort)
* "The Problem with Purity" gives me--> "Problem, The & Purity." When I change the & to "with", the field goes red, and the changes don't save when metadata is closed. Reopening shows the author is also changed to "The Problem & Purity" as is the author sort

* The Problem with Purity --> Purity, The Problem with (author sort field is red, and changes aren't saved when metadata is closed, reopening shows it changed back to "&", this time just in the author field)

Help?
(It works just fine in the regular title fields, but I need title/author reversed to organize it on my nook)

Last edited by 01Tangled; 06-18-2015 at 11:37 AM.
01Tangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:02 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Use the plugboard to prepend {author_sort} to the normal title field for Device type <your device family driver name>

This is the proper way to accomplish this as it does not hack up the Library (metadata), leaving it ready for any other device.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:57 PM   #3
01Tangled

Can you explain that in greater detail? I'm not very tech-savvy, and I didn't really understand what you said to do...
Old 06-18-2015, 01:32 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The plugboard (Preferences: Metadata Plugboard) is a device sensitive tool for cases like yours, to allow you to inject Calibre metatadata into the documents standard fields.
ex. I insert {series_index}- into the Title for my Kindle

The best way to learn is to Launch the tool and explore
Templates are the standard ones used elsewhere in Calibre (There is a fairly large section covering simple to advanced usage in the Online-Calibre Help)
Old 06-18-2015, 01:50 PM   #5
01Tangled

Okay I got to the plugboard, but I still don't really understand what to do after that. I found this link in the Calibre Manual about templates, but again still don't understand what to do. I'm looking for something relatively simple that I can do and have it work "forever," or simple enough that I can recreate it with other titles that have the same problem.

(Also, why is there a problem in the first place exactly? Other titles that are much more complex are just fine, it is quite literally just the word "with" that's causing issues, I tried misspelling "with" and it worked just fine...)

Last edited by 01Tangled; 06-18-2015 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:25 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Tangled View Post
Okay I got to the plugboard, but I still don't really understand what to do after that. I found this link in the Calibre Manual about templates, but again still don't understand what to do. I'm looking for something relatively simple that I can do and have it work "forever," or simple enough that I can recreate it with other titles that have the same problem.

(Also, why is there a problem in the first place exactly? Other titles that are much more complex are just fine, it is quite literally just the word "with" that's causing issues, I tried misspelling "with" and it worked just fine...)
With (or and) in an author field

Sam Smith with Bob Jones
is considered to be the same as: Sam Smith & Bob Jones

Preferences: Tweaks: # Splitting multiple author names
Old 06-18-2015, 02:50 PM   #7
01Tangled

Ok, that makes sense. How do I use the plugboard to change it exactly?

I ttied putting {author} in the template field and {author sort} in the destination field but nothing seemed to change when I checked the Metadata. I also tried that in reverse, still nothing.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:47 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Ok, that makes sense. How do I use the plugboard to change it exactly?

I ttied putting {author} in the template field and {author sort} in the destination field but nothing seemed to change when I checked the Metadata. I also tried that in reverse, still nothing.
You said the device does not recognize {authors}, only title
So why would toy try and put something int something else that does not exist?

{author_sort} - {title} > title

BTW 'sort' named fields tend to be for internal use and not recognized DIRECTLY by the device.
This why you may have to use a template or plugboard (depends on what metadata your device sees or allows nativly) to merge it into an Allowed location
Old 06-18-2015, 06:48 PM   #9
01Tangled

That's a good point that my device isn't using the author sort, but Calibre uses all the fields to generate the cover, and that's what shows on my nook (it's actually the new Samsung tablet nook).

I'm using the "generate cover" plug in. For now I've gotten around it by deleting author altogether and putting the info in the series field, then customizing the cover to exclude the author and include the series name.

Even if I just leave the author sort field blank, the word "with" is still changed to "&" I guess it's really just a small, cosmetic sort of thing, but it's driving my OCD nuts.

Last edited by 01Tangled; 06-18-2015 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:00 PM   #10
01Tangled

Aha! I missed your info about Preferences - Tweaks from your other post... I looked into that, and deleted the word "with" from the code (?), errr, whatever, in that Tweak. It fixed the problem!
Old 06-18-2015, 08:00 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Aha! I missed your info about Preferences - Tweaks from your other post... I looked into that, and deleted the word "with" from the code (?), errr, whatever, in that Tweak. It fixed the problem!
that is going to really mess up importing books author metadata into calibre

With should not appear in the Authors column. That tweak controls the conversion of those words into & which is the Author separator flag
Old 06-18-2015, 09:56 PM   #12
01Tangled

If there's another way around this, I'm all ears, but I don't have the skills to do a whole lot, like the plugboard thing.

In the meantime, I don't have any ebooks with multiple authors (I only use Calibre for fanfiction), so I'm not too worried about it. If Barnes and Noble ever includes a "sort by author" option, I can change everything back.