Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #76
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini, Nook Glowlight 2, Kobo Forma
I'm wondering, if it doesn't have an actual processor, if you could open it up and attach it to a rasberry pi, and have a very small linux computer/e-reader.
Ladyrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #77
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post

Taking into account which company is announcing it...
I suspect 3M is serious about it http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...y-Company-txtr
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #78
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
4GB. That can't be right. That would be good for many more than 5 books, even rendered as 800x600 image files. And over bluetooth it would take forever to fill up.

Still, for the price and the novelty, I'd get one.
I believe the 5 book limit is only for Cache, meaning it can keep track of 5 open books at a time. There is so much misinformation in this thread. Check the wiki and view the web site in the links. This will be available in the US, by the way.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #79
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I believe the 5 book limit is only for Cache, meaning it can keep track of 5 open books at a time.
That's not what their German website says.

Quote:
Check the wiki and view the web site in the links.
I have.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #80
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I just hope people don't give this to me for a present because "Oh wow Spindlegirl likes e-readers!". The way it functions requires software and hardware that I don't have, so it would never work for me.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #81
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The german site ( http://de.txtr.com/beagle/ ) says: up to 5 pre-rendered books.

The english site ( http://us.txtr.com/beagle/ ) says: Number of books cached: Up to 5
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #82
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
The german site ( http://de.txtr.com/beagle/ ) says: up to 5 pre-rendered books.

The english site ( http://us.txtr.com/beagle/ ) says: Number of books cached: Up to 5
thanks, pre-rendered and Cached doesn't really mean the same thing. I see now how they really meant 5 books total. I wonder how long a book they are allowing. 5 is a funny limit not a real good binary number. 7 would be better.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #83
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
thanks, pre-rendered and Cached doesn't really mean the same thing. I see now how they really meant 5 books total. I wonder how long a book they are allowing. 5 is a funny limit not a real good binary number. 7 would be better.

Dale
I would guess they just took some arbitrary (hopefully long) page count and figured out how many books of that length they could fit after converting to their "pre-rendered" format, then set that as the max # books. Doesn't make sense that it is limited to five books, five books like "War and Peace" vs five "Curious George" books are a world apart.

The whole mess doesn't really make any sense to me. I was fairly excited when I first saw the Engadget article and before I saw anything else, but now... and and
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #84
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:

Dale
They probably meant cached from the phone or from a computer. I assume the device can show one page at a time when it is transferred from the phone.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:19 AM   #85
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Two interesting (to me) statements on that site:

describing the Android app:
Quote:
Tap the book to send it to the txtr beagle where it appears within seconds
So it must be transferring compressed files.

On battery life:
Quote:
With this concept, two AAA batteries enable you to read 12-15 books per year.
So it is aimed at the more casual reader.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:42 AM   #86
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
describing the Android app:

So it must be transferring compressed files.
Not necessarily.

They're showing it in the interview video (2m:20s):
http://www.lesen.net/ereader/txtr-be...ezeichen-5446/

Transferring a book is two taps on the smartphone (if the book is already known to the smartphone app). And yes he starts reading right away. But he also says that it's still transferring pages.

So yes it appears within seconds and you can start reading within seconds. As long as you don't read faster than the smartphone takes to transfer files, there isn't a problem.

If you only wanted to read the last chapter of a book (say, in a series, before you read the sequel) you'd have to wait until the transfer is nearly complete.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #87
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
If you only wanted to read the last chapter of a book (say, in a series, before you read the sequel) you'd have to wait until the transfer is nearly complete.
Plus you'd have to keep the reader close to the phone until its done.
It really sounds like a reading device for people who haven't (yet) read ebooks on phones, PCs, or dedicated devices...
Libraries may have a use for it as part of a turnkey system but anybody who's used a Kindle or a Kobo (to say nothing of Pocketbook, Boox, etc) is just going to be frustrated with the overall user experience.

Last edited by fjtorres; 10-14-2012 at 08:40 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #88
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
...On battery life:

Quote:
With this concept, two AAA batteries enable you to read 12-15 books per year.
So it is aimed at the more casual reader.
I should say so. 12-15 books per year? We have many here who read 12-15 books per month, and I dare say some who average 12-15 books every week.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #89
frostschutz
Linux User

12-15 books would still be huge. I'll believe it when I see it. So far every reader I've had in my hands didn't last for a week without recharging. I'm lucky if I can get through one book, I'm pushing it for two, and three is entirely impossible. Of course since I read with a comfortable font size (6-8 words per line) I have at least twice as many page flips as someone who likes to have the same squinty-eye feeling that paper books offer... but still.

You have to consider that reading 15 books on this thing requires you to transfer books three times, and I assume bluetooth will suck as much energy as wifi. The 12-15 books figure is either based on small books, small fonts (fewest pageflips possible), or is just a theoretical value based on pure pageflip count, not taking standby times into account. Same way any other company is overly optimistic regarding their battery times.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #90
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Hmmm, might be fun to hack on. For $13? I'd be in for one.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote