Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
Marieke21
Marieke21 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Where can I find older firmware versions for Kobo Touch?

After an update to the newest firmware version (1.9.16) my Kobo Touch has problems with turning pages, loads much longer, and has poorer quality of the menu texts.

I have searched extensively through mobileread among others and it seems worth a try to revert back to my previous firmware version, which was 1.9.9. However, I cannot seem to find the actual software anywhere. Some older posts mention http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...rade-1.9.9.zip but that link is broken.

Could someone please, please help me find the software? Thanks so much, I used to love my Kobo and now I'm getting annoyed when I'm using it because of the poor response. I don't need to fancy book recommendations and such of newer firmware versions, I just wan't it to go back to how it was....
Marieke21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=14

Have you tried a paperclip reset? Mine slowed down but then I held the paper-clip in the back for 10 seconds. And you can use Short List instead of Recommendations.

I think that version is 1.9.14.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
BigJ
BigJ began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=14

Have you tried a paperclip reset? Mine slowed down but then I held the paper-clip in the back for 10 seconds. And you can use Short List instead of Recommendations.

I think that version is 1.9.14.
Yes that link is for V1.9.14. I've edited the post so it's clearier in that regard. Couldn't find anything for 1.9.9 unfortunately.
BigJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJ View Post
Yes that link is for V1.9.14. I've edited the post so it's clearier in that regard. Couldn't find anything for 1.9.9 unfortunately.
1.9.9 looses a ton of features though, if all of your problems are with 1.9.16 why not just go back to the last release?
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
why not just go back to the last release?
Yeah, 1.9.14 was definitely the best. I would be quite satisfied if they would just release that as the next version.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I uploaded 1.9.14 to mediafire some time ago
It's still there
http://www.mediafire.com/?cudfujv7ks9dup8

I agree it's the best firmware so far.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
Marieke21
Marieke21 began at the beginning.

Thanks a lot, all! I just downloaded the 1.9.14 version from mediafire. Do you guys have any tips on how I retrograde my Kobo to this particular firmware, now that I got .zip file? I read a bunch of different explanations and I'm not sure which approach is the best/easiest. Oh, and I use Macs but I could use a friend's PC if that makes a huge difference... what do y'all think? Thanks! Marieke
Marieke21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #8
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I found a post here about how to do it.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=114

Just follow those instructions, but put in the 1.9.14 firmware where it says to load the 1.9.4 firmware.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:14 AM   #9
demondog
Enthusiast
demondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: kobo touch
hello

i have a problem doing this , when i reset my kobo touch and put the 1.9.14 firmware , the kobo says that need to sync if not doesnt works , so i put the desktop kobo and when i sync it automatically update to the last version T_T , i tried to update with calibre but it seems to doesnt work, and i dont know if it dont do the same result , so how have you done ? T_T please help ^^ ,sorry for my english
demondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #10
danskmacabre
Guru

When you reset your firmware, what version does it go back to?
Old 02-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #11
demondog
Enthusiast
demondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

i reseit it again and the version is 1.9.11
Old 02-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
When you reset your firmware, what version does it go back to?
The problem is he has done a reset, so Kobo is promoting him to redo the setup. When that is done via either WiFi or Desktop the unit gets the suggested firmware downloaded to it.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #13
demondog
Enthusiast

so what do i have to do ;(
Old 02-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Let the desktop app download and copy the the firmware update files to the device. Then remove the files and replace them with the files for the firmware you want to use.

The database also gets updated during this process and there is a possibility that it is incompatible. But, the changes Kobo makes are usually backwardly compatible to older firmware. The changes I can think of that are not, are in tables that pre 2.0.0 firmware didn't use.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:23 AM   #15
demondog
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Let the desktop app download and copy the the firmware update files to the device. Then remove the files and replace them with the files for the firmware you want to use.

The database also gets updated during this process and there is a possibility that it is incompatible. But, the changes Kobo makes are usually backwardly compatible to older firmware. The changes I can think of that are not, are in tables that pre 2.0.0 firmware didn't use.
ok i have done this.
Now my kobo touch is frozen T_T
In the end it start yo update then , the screen loading begins and never ends , so now its always on the screen loading , what can i do?

Tags
1.9.9, firmware downgrade, kobo touch