Notices

Old 02-09-2010, 03:10 AM   #1
comet
Connoisseur
comet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis , Kindle Oasis 2, Tolino Epos
calibre changes files??

Hallo,

I observed the following phenonenon. If I read an epub using calibres internal viewer the modification time of the epub-file always changes after closing calibre. If I compare the the new file with an backup of the original one using the linux-command "diff" the output says that the files are different. What is calibre changing every time I do so?

I am using calibre 0.6.31 with kubuntu 9.10.

Greetings
comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:46 AM   #2
Knipfty
Enthusiast
Knipfty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle/Kindle PC/Kindle BB
comet,

I am using 0.6.38 (and .37 before that) using the viewer on a .mobi file under WinXP and see no change to the date time stamp.

So it may be an epub behavior or a linux behavior.
Knipfty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2010, 08:52 AM   #3
comet
Connoisseur

Ok, looking into the epub-file I saw that calibre adds a file "calibre_bookmarks.txt" that of course changes when using the integrated viewer. I don't think adding a file and so changing the epub isn't a good solution. Perhaps at some time in the future a reader might change the program and so there are leftovers in the epub-file from a former program :-( Should that not be a part of the database of calibre?

Last edited by comet; 02-09-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:11 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, i prefer having bookmarks in the file itself. That way I can share my bookmarks with other people/still have them if I copy the file to another computer/device.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:26 PM   #5
comet
Connoisseur

I understand. But then it would be fine to add the choice to the program, whether the user want to allow calibre to change the epub.
Advert
Old 02-09-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
This completely blows an idea I had out of the water.
I was going to request comments on having an additional "Last Changed date" field to record the date of the last change made to the underlying files.
Add a Format. Date bumps.
Change Meta data. Date bumps

Date current records the Creation date of the Record entry. I realize, it can be changed, but I think having a First entered date is useful.

Having the Last changed date allows me to determine what needs to get sent to my device next connection.
Since Calibre is managing things, why not have a separate BMK_(file-ver) file that gets merged/sent only on transfer or read if View

This eliminates the confusion of which version is the "newer" file. (Am I the only one correcting spelling and formatting?)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:09 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The ebook viewer is designed to operate entirely separately from the rest of calibre, so this is not feasible.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote