Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-14-2011, 07:40 PM   #1
WillieMcIntyre
Enthusiast
WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle
The Alchemist

Just read The Alchemist (in paper form - sorry) tonight. I realise that I'm one of the last people in the known universe to have read it but I can see why it has been so popular. A tale simply told, hardly an adjective in sight and yet completely enthralling. I suppose it's a lesson for all would be authors - the story's the thing.
WillieMcIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
Is that the book by Paulo Coelho, I really like that book too. Taught it in my 9th grade English class.
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #3
WillieMcIntyre
Enthusiast
WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.WillieMcIntyre can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle
Yes, that's the one. A lot of people go overboard about it and speak of a spiritual experience but generally I thought it was good wee book that took me back to my childhood in 1001 Arabian Nights sort of a way.
WillieMcIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I don't usually read novels, but self help or computer books. Finished this book today (Spanish version) and I was impressed! What a moving book!

I can't believe I have not read this book before. It was very profound. Planning to read it again at a very low pace this time.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:28 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
You may also wish to try "The Magus," by John Fowles.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2012, 09:47 AM   #6
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
You may also wish to try "The Magus," by John Fowles.

Don
Gracias Don / Thanks Don!
Old 04-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #7
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Fowles book over the Alchemist any day of the week.... The Alchemist just didn't do it for me....though I can see why some like it..
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Fowles book over the Alchemist any day of the week.... The Alchemist just didn't do it for me....though I can see why some like it..
Well, I found the Alchemist extremely simple and easy to read. May be the reason why some don't find it really good?

I read in Spanish, by the way. Translations can alter content some times.

Thanks for your opinion.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:05 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

This is a very early novel by Fowles. He later revised it, but I've only read the original, published around 1965. (I'm too lazy to actually check. )

It's one of those novels that, if one encounters at a certain age, has a profound effect.

I've never forgotten this novel and plan to go back and re-read it.

I would suggest reading a few chapters to see if it grabs you. If it does, then you might not be able to put it down.

Don
Old 04-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #10
jocampo
Layback feline

Don,

I checked that novel (Kindle version) and found nothing . Are you aware or the ebook version or if we can find it on Amazon?
Old 04-22-2012, 09:29 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Don,

I checked that novel (Kindle version) and found nothing . Are you aware or the ebook version or if we can find it on Amazon?

I think I saw it on Amazon UK some time ago. What prompted me to mention it (and without checking - sorry for not doing that) is the association of The Alchemist with the The Magus.

I may have also seen a blurb reference to Fowles book when The Alchemist first came out.

I'll go and check to see if it's available from Amazon UK.

ADDED: It looks like Amazon UK has a whole HOST of titles available for the Kindle.

Don
Old 04-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #12
jocampo
Layback feline

I bought, El Peregrino de Compostela instead. I did not find the one you suggested :-(

I am in USA so I don't have access to Amazon UK.

But I would love to read the one you mentioned. If its on Kindle format , even better.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

I'm from the U.S., as well.

I found myself searching for some Fowles and couldn't seem to get any.

Don
Old 04-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #14
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Well, I found the Alchemist extremely simple and easy to read. May be the reason why some don't find it really good?

I read in Spanish, by the way. Translations can alter content some times.

Thanks for your opinion.
Actually, I will withhold my real opinion of the book. I have read many books in Spanish too... But As far as I know the writer's first language is Portuguese. Yes very similar but a little different... Jorge Amado...much better writer IMO. Maybe he has a better book out there... would like to give it a go.. but, I found the Alchemist weak....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:58 AM   #15
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Actually, I will withhold my real opinion of the book. I have read many books in Spanish too... But As far as I know the writer's first language is Portuguese. Yes very similar but a little different... Jorge Amado...much better writer IMO. Maybe he has a better book out there... would like to give it a go.. but, I found the Alchemist weak....
Well, is an easy read, agree, but was a book that somehow changed my life a bit or made me reconsidered my vision of life.

I see you're from Japan. May I ask you who taught you Spanish? Both languages are totally different.