Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-07-2021, 04:28 PM   #1
sakitatu
sakitatu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One - Elipsa
Migration

Hey there!

My first 3d here :-) Sorry for my bad English, I'm not a native speaker.

I'd like to migrate from Aura One to Elipsa. I'd like to export / import the non-Kobo ebooks with their highlights. No problem for the epub files but... what about the highlights? Any advice?

Many thanks!
sakitatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 09:15 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Don't do it? It's a pain. That's advice, but, I'm pretty sure it isn't what you want.

The topic has been discussed in the past and the advice hasn't changed. There is no supported method to do it. You can try exporting the annotations from the database on the old device and importing them on the new. Or you can try taking the database from the old device and putting it on the new. There are lots of problems with both of these and they have been discussed in the previous threads. I suggest doing a search for them as they have most of the details needed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2021, 02:27 PM   #3
sakitatu

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Don't do it? It's a pain. That's advice, but, I'm pretty sure it isn't what you want.

The topic has been discussed in the past and the advice hasn't changed. There is no supported method to do it. You can try exporting the annotations from the database on the old device and importing them on the new. Or you can try taking the database from the old device and putting it on the new. There are lots of problems with both of these and they have been discussed in the previous threads. I suggest doing a search for them as they have most of the details needed.
Many thanks. I've seen this topic discussed in the forum. I tried one them (changed the script and then export), but nothing, it doesn't work.
Before changing the db or a script of the new device I thought that it'd be better asking for advice.... Maybe there was some good news.... But you told me... nothing :-(
The kobo interoperability isn't its strong points at all.... :-(

Many thanks!
Old 09-10-2021, 02:31 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakitatu View Post
Many thanks. I've seen this topic discussed in the forum. I tried one them (changed the script and then export), but nothing, it doesn't work.
What script? I can't think of one that has been published to do this.
Quote:
Before changing the db or a script of the new device I thought that it'd be better asking for advice.... Maybe there was some good news.... But you told me... nothing :-(
I'm pretty sure that I told you that nothing had changed from before and hence to follow the previous advice. If you have, and something failed, then we can try an help work out why. People have definitely done it, but, it isn't a particularly common task as relatively few people care about the annotations.

And, for my curiosity, did you find the script before or after your original post? If before, it would have been a good idea to mention that you had tried something so that anyone reading it would know where you were up to. And if it was after my post, well, then it seems I did help.
Quote:
The kobo interoperability isn't its strong points at all.... :-(
From that viewpoint, interoperability of all ereaders, no matter the brand, is rubbish. Within their own environments, they work, but have minimal support for communicating outside of this.
Old 09-10-2021, 03:03 PM   #5
sakitatu

Quote:
What script? I can't think of one that has been published to do this.

And, for my curiosity, did you find the script before or after your original post? If before, it would have been a good idea to mention that you had tried something so that anyone reading it would know where you were up to. And if it was after my post, well, then it seems I did help.
Before. Not here but in an italian forum. Someone says that with the latest firmware it has some problems. I try but it doesn't work at all. Therefore I asked here, in a different and bigger forum.
Advert
Old 09-11-2021, 10:30 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Before. Not here but in an italian forum. Someone says that with the latest firmware it has some problems. I try but it doesn't work at all. Therefore I asked here, in a different and bigger forum.
As I don't know what script you ran, can you point it out? And tell us what went wrong? I can think of a reason for an automated annotations migration to fail with recent firmware, but, I would need to see the error and what was happening to cause it to check.
Old 09-11-2021, 03:20 PM   #7
sakitatu

Quote:
As I don't know what script you ran, can you point it out?
No no, I didn't run a script. I changed a string in a script in a kobo file in a device in order to allow the exporting of the annotations.
Old 09-11-2021, 03:41 PM   #8
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
No no, I didn't run a script. I changed a string in a script in a kobo file in a device in order to allow the exporting of the annotations.
I’m going to predict David’s next question

What file did you change and what did you do specifically to it?

I’m also a bit confused as to why you’re being so vague at this point. Not including details isn’t going to help anyone help you resolve this issue.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 01:08 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You mean you turned on the hidden export annotations option in the config file? I have just tested it for other reasons and it is working here. It adds an "Export Annotations" option to the menu of any book. Tapping it prompts for the name of the file to export the annotations to. These are saved in the directory "Exported Annotations" on the device.

And...

We are happy to help. But, to do that, we need information. We need to know what you tried and what happened. Then we can try to tell you how to solve the problem. For example, it looks like you tried this before your first post. And had read threads about it. But, you didn't bother to tell use that. The response would have been different if you had. Your first post is, "Can we do it at all?", not "I tried these things and it didn't work. Help!"