Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-19-2012, 07:32 AM   #1
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Question Can't Download Kobo eBook to Computer

This is my first time purchasing from Kobo. I bought an ebook and I can't seem to save a copy of the ebook to my computer. I clicked on 'My Library' from my Kobo account and I can see the book there, I clicked on the ADOBE DRM EPUB button next to it but nothing happens. I also downloaded the Kobo Desktop App on my laptop, the book got automatically synced but how can I save an ePub version on my computer?

Last edited by Gazella; 11-22-2012 at 05:33 AM.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #2
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
you need to install/register Adobe Digital Editions, The Kobo desktop app only works with kobo files not epub

Install Adobe Digital Editions
Register it by creating an Adobe ID
Click the download button on Kobo website
This will download an acsm file, when you open this file with ADE the book will download
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I do have Adobe Digital Editions 2.0 and it is registered with my ID.

Where can I find the download button you're talking about?

This is what I see when I access my 'My Library' from the Kobo website.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-11-19 at 5.50.13 PM.png
Views:	465
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	96487  

Last edited by Gazella; 11-19-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:21 AM   #4
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
Where can I find the download button you're talking about?

This is what I see when I access my 'My Library' from the Kobo website.
The blue button - adobe epub - click on it. You'll download acsm file in which there will be a link. Click on that link and you will download the book which will be in ADE Digital Editions folder.

Have fun
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
What should happen is a download of a file called URLLink.acsm, look for that file on your computer. Then you open that file with ADE to download the epub file.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
Gazella
Wizard

jmilica - I did click on it. I said that in my initial post. When I click on it, it keeps on loading for about 2 minutes and then I get a page that says 'the connection has timed out, the server is taking too long to respond'

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.
* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.
* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

There's nothing wrong with my connection. My Internet is working fine, all pages load except for this one. I tried Chrome, Firefox and Safari but I keep getting the same error which is that the server where the page is located isn't responding. It's been like that for nine hours now.

Is there a problem with their servers?

Synamon - I have used ADE before, so this isn't the first time. I don't know what's wrong with Kobo servers. I can't download the ebook to my computer.

Last edited by Gazella; 11-19-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
I just tried and had no problems.

Maybe try downloading from the book page and see if that works any better.
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqdancer View Post
I just tried and had no problems.

Maybe try downloading from the book page and see if that works any better.
I tried, won't download. I'm live chatting with a Kobo customer care representative right now. He said that he's going to check it out using their computer. So now I'm just waiting...

Last edited by Gazella; 11-19-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #9
Gazella
Wizard

Ok, so I'm not sure what the problem is. He was able to download the exact same book to his ADE program. He asked me to hard-wire my computer and see if that will help the situation. I did but to no avail. I tried three different computers with a wireless and hard-wired connection. He then tried removing the book from my Account and then re-adding it but this did not correct the issue. I then noticed and notified him that the ADE button is no longer there under 'My Purchases'. He suggested that we complete this through email and that I continue to read the book through the Kobo Desktop until they are able to correct this issue that I'm having.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-11-19 at 8.29.29 PM.png
Views:	256
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	96499  
Old 11-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #10
Gazella
Wizard

Did this happen to anyone before or am I the only one? Is it because I'm located outside the US? Surely this can't be it right? My country was listed in the list of countries in the drop-down menu.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Sounds like something—somewhere—is silently blocking the download of the acsm file.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #12
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
DRM's can really be a plague. It's a wonder anyone ever buys books at all.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #13
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
I downloaded several books today and yesterday from Kobo, so their servers are ok. I am also not in US, that's not an issue.
Do you think that something might be blocking you from download? Did you try downloading any other book you bought from Kobo?
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I would try another browser if the one I am using is causing problems. You can also try cleaning out the cache and cookies...etc but more likely it's the browser or DNS server of your ISP.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #15
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
Did this happen to anyone before or am I the only one? Is it because I'm located outside the US? Surely this can't be it right? My country was listed in the list of countries in the drop-down menu.
Gazella can I suggest that you download a free + DRM free Kobo.

Here's a link so you see their location - but sign in and do this under your ID:

http://www.kobobooks.com/free_ebooks

This will help determine if Kobo per se is the issue or something else.

I'm in Aus and don't have any issues.

Let us know how you go.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote