Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-16-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
natescape
Edge User

Exclamation Superheated MicroSD card?!?

Wow. So I just inserted a new SanDisk 32 GB MicroSD card into my new PE and went to check the memory on the settings... it didn't say there was any card in the system, so I check the flap to see if it's in all the way and it's mostly in (I had made sure it was in all the way) and has a gooey whitish substance on it... I go to grab it and it's SUPER hot, and the whitish goo is the rubber from the SD card door.

I snatched it out, of course, but am afraid to put it back in (and the door is slightly warped and doesn't quite stick in flat anymore). Ideas as to what caused it? I have a pair of 16 GB cards that I could try (for the kids' PEs), but I'm wondering if it's a problem with the PE or with the card or just some random one-time problem.

What do you folks think?

Old 05-16-2011, 06:50 PM   #2
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Call tech for advice here. I've never heard of that happening before.

Advert
Old 05-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
natescape
Edge User

Thanks cheyennedonna!

They weren't of much help, and when I gave it a try again, the MicroSD card came out so hot it took a layer of flesh of if my thumb.

Interestingly, the 16 GB cards didn't encounter any problems... just the 32 GB one. Defective card? The tech support guy I spoke with said the PEs don't like class 4 MicroSD cards and really prefer Class 6. Have the experts here found that to be the case?

Old 05-27-2011, 12:36 PM   #4
Ressie
Edge User

Quote:
The tech support guy I spoke with said the PEs don't like class 4 MicroSD cards and really prefer Class 6. Have the experts here found that to be the case?
That's just plain out strange. The difference between Class X and Class Y is internal to the SD card and the only thing the SD Host cares about is the version of the SD controller on the card. The card could have been defective, or had an internal short causing it to sink too much current from the slot. Either way, have you tried to see if the SD card still works in any other devices/readers? If the PE's SD slot still works, and works with another card, then process of elimination points to the SD card itself.