Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-18-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
paulpod
paulpod began at the beginning.

Device: none
Mobipocket convertor success

Hi there,

Im trying to decide between a Kindle of Sony 350 for single column Text based PDFs.
I know the sony has reflow and better table of content support, but i would rather get a kindle since it is cheaper, and has a bigger screen, and i think it looks a lot better (probably controversially).
Does anyone use mobipocket to convert there PDFs and then view them on a kindle? if so how successful is this? the results using the PC based ebook reader look promising, but it would be good to know if it actually works well on the kindle.

Cheers
Paul

Last edited by paulpod; 10-18-2010 at 10:44 AM.
paulpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Mobipocket Creator does an outstanding job of converting PDF's, and it's free. Works great for using the Kindle, pdf's are just not meant for ereaders.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
paulpod

no i know they're not but i have about a million pdf ebooks that i cant see myself reading on a computer, and there pretty much all straight txt.

Do tables of content/hyper links work on the kindle after mobipocket conversion?

cheers
Old 10-18-2010, 07:55 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Yes Mobicreator (MC) works and I do use it. I've found the quality to be okay. The Kindle's auto conversion feature does convert the PDF just as good, but without a working TOC.

For MC to have a working TOC you have to manually add it yourself.

Me personally, I use MC to create the HTML. Then copy-n-paste the HTML to BookCreator and from there I create the MOBI file.

Also on an a side, look at BRISS, you might only have to remove the marings of the PDF to make them readable on the Kindle. (if the PDF was made for 8.5"x11" then you will need to convert it.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: www.OutlawGalaxy.com, Foothills of NY's Adirondack mountains
Device: My PC...using Puppy Linux (FBReader, Calibre, Kindle Cloud Reader,
Stupid question from a non-Windows guy:

Does Mobipocket Creator make .Mobi files? Or .prc?
BillSmithBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 12:21 AM   #6
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
prc

wow, thanks for the tip on this! does a more than adequate job rendering basic pdf books into readable epubs (after a spin thru Calibre). beats the heck out of reflow.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:01 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSmithBooks View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
prc
Which is the same as .mobi. You can rename them at will.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:53 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSmithBooks View Post

There's no reason to care about this. They are merely different file extensions; there's no difference in the contents. It's entirely immaterial whether a Mobipocket file has a ".prc" or a ".mobi" extension.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:28 AM   #9
paulpod

do hyperlinks work with mobipocket converted files?

the do seem to on the PC ebook reader, but do they on the kindle?