Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-11-2010, 09:58 AM   #1
anickson
anickson began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader PRS 300
Duplicates ! and adding new books to library

I have had around 6000 books in my library when I first used Calibre. After several tries, I've got maybe 25,000. I finally figured out that I needed to have two folders, one for my original downloads, one for Calibre to work with. Is there any way to get rid of the duplicate books other than one at a time?

I started dragging and dropping newly downloaded books from a folder I created for new downloads and it appears that there's only one copy of these files in Calibre. Is that how I'm supposed to get new books added to the library? Can I delete these files once put into Calibre to cut down on the remarkably large files I'm accumulating?

This is some serious and powerful software- perhaps so much so that a minimally computer literate person such as myself can end up with a really big mess!

I'd appreciate any help and advice that anyone has to offer.
anickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:15 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I don't know if I fully understand your problem, but I'll try anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anickson View Post
I have had around 6000 books in my library when I first used Calibre. After several tries, I've got maybe 25,000. I finally figured out that I needed to have two folders, one for my original downloads, one for Calibre to work with. Is there any way to get rid of the duplicate books other than one at a time?
From what I understand, you downloaded books into Calibres library folder and then added the books to the library, causing them to be copied into the correct library folder, thus resulting in two duplicate files, yes? To disentangle which file belongs to Calibre and which doesn't, you could try letting Calibre move your library to a new position. See Switch/create library in the library button's dropdown menu on the main toolbar. That way, it will only move the files in its library and leave behind the duplicates.

Quote:
I started dragging and dropping newly downloaded books from a folder I created for new downloads and it appears that there's only one copy of these files in Calibre. Is that how I'm supposed to get new books added to the library? Can I delete these files once put into Calibre to cut down on the remarkably large files I'm accumulating?
That's one way of adding books to the library. Another way would be to use the Add books- button in the main toolbar. The way you're doing this now, downloading into an external folder and adding it to the Calibre library via GUI, is the way you're supposed to be doing it. After you've added the books to the library, you can delete the downloaded files, if you wish to. Calibre has made it's own copies that it will use.

Also, while we're on the topic of using Calibre the way it was intended to, don't go manually messing around inside the Calibre library folder. If you want a file from there, ask Calibre nicely via the GUI to give you that file.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
anickson

Thanks so much. Yes, you understood my questions perfectly. I've already backed up my entire library on another computer so have nothing to lose in trying your suggestions. Once I've created another library and moved the ones that Calibre recognizes, can I then delete the original to rid my computer of the unneeded duplicates?

Just a thought-- a lot of the Calibre manual is way over my head-- maybe someone would like to take on the task of writing one for people like me who jumped in too fast in made a big mess of it.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anickson View Post
Thanks so much. Yes, you understood my questions perfectly. I've already backed up my entire library on another computer so have nothing to lose in trying your suggestions. Once I've created another library and moved the ones that Calibre recognizes, can I then delete the original to rid my computer of the unneeded duplicates?
If you select to move your library in the switch/create library dialog, the entire library that Calibre knows of will be moved to the folder you selected as the new library folder. Everything left behind is something Calibre doesn't know about, thus you won't have to move anything manually.
EDIT: So, any books left behind you could either delete or check in the Calibre library if they're duplicates of ones you already have...
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:48 PM   #5
anickson

Moving the books to a new library worked perfectly. Once moved, I deleted the previous library (I had a back up just in case). The file is again a reasonable size. Thanks a million!
Advert