Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 06-16-2010, 07:02 PM   #46
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Price is same and that is problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by citac View Post
Dear Robert,

you are probably tired of all the questions so I will try to keep it as short as possible (for me).

My main issue is price. I was waiting to hear the news of availability of another reader, which seems to be still far away, and the new EZ Reader PLUS. Once it comes out (and I'm interested in that too), is it going to be the same price as the current 6" or higher? If so, is the price going to be significantly higher? If that's the case, I will probably get the current 6" because I'm tired of reading on my computer, and can't afford the printing anymore.
Dear Citac:

Yes, all of us looked at the lengthy list of improvements and then thought I wonder how much more. Reality is it will sell at exactly the same price. THAT is why we have to move the remaining stock before we offer the PLUS.

Another option is the deal on New Egg for the 6 inch Mentor Lite. That has all the speed processor with Epson controller, 8 level gray scale, and a lot more. I have seen in another thread on here that New Egg is selling it for $149 (which, frankly, shocks even me). I do NOT see how they are doing it... but it sounds fantastic to me!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:50 AM   #47
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Citac:

Yes, all of us looked at the lengthy list of improvements and then thought I wonder how much more. Reality is it will sell at exactly the same price. THAT is why we have to move the remaining stock before we offer the PLUS.

Another option is the deal on New Egg for the 6 inch Mentor Lite. That has all the speed processor with Epson controller, 8 level gray scale, and a lot more. I have seen in another thread on here that New Egg is selling it for $149 (which, frankly, shocks even me). I do NOT see how they are doing it... but it sounds fantastic to me!
Unfortunately, due to my location, I can't shop at New Egg. I'm frustrated with all these delays since I wanted to get a reader for academic purposes but at this rate I'll finish my postgrad before that. How many more units do you have to move? It seems like everyone's waiting for the new device.
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:31 PM   #48
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Dear Citac:

Sad to report, but NewEgg's insane sale is over (their sales tend to be unpredictable and short). I managed to order mine while the price was $130 but apparently the black is now "unavailable" (I take that to mean either sold out or discontinued, most likely the latter). They still have white at $279 (apparently I'm not the only one who dislikes white because it shows dirt too readily). Anyone still wanting to get this one instead of the waiting for the new one will do better at the Astek site.

I can hardly wait to get the one I ordered so I can start "playing with it." Hey, a girl has to have her toys (never mind I like strange ones like trucks and power tools).

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 06-17-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:55 PM   #49
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Truck-driving, hard-reading Lady!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Sad to report, but NewEgg's insane sale is over (their sales tend to be unpredictable and short). I managed to order mine while the price was $130 but apparently the black is now "unavailable" (I take that to mean either sold out or discontinued, most likely the latter). They still have white at $279 (apparently I'm not the only one who dislikes white because it shows dirt too readily). Anyone still wanting to get this one instead of the waiting for the new one will do better at the Astek site.

I can hardly wait to get the one I ordered so I can start "playing with it." Hey, a girl has to have her toys (never mind I like strange ones like trucks and power tools).
Dear Lady Fitz:

Yes, I thought something was slightly nuts about the price NewEgg was selling at. That was amazing. You got an incredible deal and you will LOVE the Mentor Lite.

We have to teach you to spell Astak properly. I know, it is a strange name. In the future we will be EZRead, Inc. We are finally our own company with our own CEO and some major plans for the future.

I drive a truck too. This was my first one and I have had it 6 years and I have never been so happy with a car as I am with my truck.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:15 PM   #50
oksahmof2
oksahmof2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Release date??

Any word on a release date for the EZ Plus? Was thinking about getting a refurbished Kindle but if this would be available this summer, i.e. July, then I would give this some serious thought!
oksahmof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:22 PM   #51
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Dear Lady Fitz:

Yes, I thought something was slightly nuts about the price NewEgg was selling at. That was amazing. You got an incredible deal and you will LOVE the Mentor Lite.

We have to teach you to spell Astak properly. I know, it is a strange name. In the future we will be EZRead, Inc. We are finally our own company with our own CEO and some major plans for the future.

I drive a truck too. This was my first one and I have had it 6 years and I have never been so happy with a car as I am with my truck.
I'm guessing they just had a handful of various models (they went nuts with several brands and models although the AstAk had the deepest cut, merely $150) and were clearing them out to make room for new ones, assuming they weren't discontinued outright.

I know how to "spel" AstAk "rite." I have ADD and you should see what my typing (or whatever is that passes for typing) looks like before I go back and try to fix it. It's pretty scary. I can stare at an error that I know darned well what it should be and just not see it until after I hit the Submit button (if then). Sigh.

What kind of truck do have? I'm driving an '08 Ford F150 Screw (the affectionate name Ford owners have for the Super Crew Cab.). It's the fourth pickup I've had (although not in a row) and the second crew cab. I got it to tow the travel trailer I'm going to move into in a year or two. You think AstAk is a strange name? My little truck is named Saoirse (it's Irish for freedom).

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 06-17-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:08 PM   #52
Robertb

F-150 Super Cab is great!

Quote:
I'm guessing they just had a handful of various models (they went nuts with several brands and models although the AstAk had the deepest cut, merely $150) and were clearing them out to make room for new ones, assuming they weren't discontinued outright.

I know how to "spel" AstAk "rite." I have ADD and you should see what my typing (or whatever is that passes for typing) looks like before I go back and try to fix it. It's pretty scary. I can stare at an error that I know darned well what it should be and just not see it until after I hit the Submit button (if then). Sigh.

What kind of truck do have? I'm driving an '08 Ford F150 Screw (the affectionate name Ford owners have for the Super Crew Cab.). It's the fourth pickup I've had (although not in a row) and the second crew cab. I got it to tow the travel trailer I'm going to move into in a year or two. You think AstAk is a strange name? My little truck is named Saoirse (it's Irish for freedom).
Dear Lady Fitz:

I rented an F-150 Super Cab for four days and loved it. I hated to give it back. Good choice!!

I just have a 2004 GMC Canyon SLE with regular cab.. I have tricked it out a little bit with dual exhaust and Pirelli Scorpian tires and more. It has that off-road option so it sits up high and the automatic locking rear differential is nice. The 5 cylinder engine has been great.

When I bought it I had JUST started on a new job and had been unemployed for 6 months. Money was horribly tight and I had just lost my Olsmobile Aurora Classic in a flash flood. I prayed that I could keep the new job and make the payments. I wanted the Super-Cab but it was either get the SLE option or the big cab. I remember bartering with the dealer for two weeks. He hated me afterward. I was so nearly broke that every $10 was critical. I drove him nuts!! He sold me exactly what I wanted for zero mark-up just to get rid of me.

Now, 6 years later, it looks exactly like new and is my treasure.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:01 PM   #53
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Dear Lady Fitz:

I rented an F-150 Super Cab for four days and loved it. I hated to give it back. Good choice!!

I just have a 2004 GMC Canyon SLE with regular cab.. I have tricked it out a little bit with dual exhaust and Pirelli Scorpian tires and more. It has that off-road option so it sits up high and the automatic locking rear differential is nice. The 5 cylinder engine has been great.

When I bought it I had JUST started on a new job and had been unemployed for 6 months. Money was horribly tight and I had just lost my Olsmobile Aurora Classic in a flash flood. I prayed that I could keep the new job and make the payments. I wanted the Super-Cab but it was either get the SLE option or the big cab. I remember bartering with the dealer for two weeks. He hated me afterward. I was so nearly broke that every $10 was critical. I drove him nuts!! He sold me exactly what I wanted for zero mark-up just to get rid of me.

Now, 6 years later, it looks exactly like new and is my treasure.
I got the full crewcab so I would be able to haul around passengers. I also got a Leer RCC cab high cap to go over the bed that has toolboxes where the side windows normally go. With the cap, the truck almost looks like an Expedition. I've gotten spoiled by the extra goodies like electric mirrors, 6 CD radio (a God send when driving out of town and no decent radio stations around), and electric windows, seats and locks.

I need to get a trailer brake controller for the trailer I'm going to get and replace the stock mirrors with telescoping tow mirrors. I also need to add a transmission temperature guage and maybe a couple of e-fans for the tranny cooler. I'm considering replacing the stock engine mounted fan with an electric one (quieter, cools better, and doesn't eat as much horsepower). I would like to lower the rear a bit so the truck sets level and add airbags so the rear won't squat when I load the bed. I also want to add idiot horns (extra loud horns to wake up the occasional idiots I encounter). There are also a few other minor things I planning on doing to her.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:00 PM   #54
Robertb

Everyone waiting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by citac View Post
Unfortunately, due to my location, I can't shop at New Egg. I'm frustrated with all these delays since I wanted to get a reader for academic purposes but at this rate I'll finish my postgrad before that. How many more units do you have to move? It seems like everyone's waiting for the new device.
Dear Citac:

I do understand as I also am just dying to get in the PLUS. I am also pushing for even newer models. Imagine having a Dedicated Forum with no news! I DO understand the PM's predicament. He is damned if he does and damned when he does not. And... he cannot withstand a $40 loss on each unit remaining or he gets burned by management.

Rest assured that we know very well what is happening and we are trying to get them in quickly. I make his life miserable in pressing him. This time I feel really sorry for him.

All this means is your point is well taken and we will try to move faster! The PM does read these posts and is very aware!
Old 06-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #55
Robertb

Super-Duper F-150

Quote:
I got the full crewcab so I would be able to haul around passengers. I also got a Leer RCC cab high cap to go over the bed that has toolboxes where the side windows normally go. With the cap, the truck almost looks like an Expedition. I've gotten spoiled by the extra goodies like electric mirrors, 6 CD radio (a God send when driving out of town and no decent radio stations around), and electric windows, seats and locks.

I need to get a trailer brake controller for the trailer I'm going to get and replace the stock mirrors with telescoping tow mirrors. I also need to add a transmission temperature guage and maybe a couple of e-fans for the tranny cooler. I'm considering replacing the stock engine mounted fan with an electric one (quieter, cools better, and doesn't eat as much horsepower). I would like to lower the rear a bit so the truck sets level and add airbags so the rear won't squat when I load the bed. I also want to add idiot horns (extra loud horns to wake up the occasional idiots I encounter). There are also a few other minor things I planning on doing to her.
Dear Lady Fitz:

I love your plan. I have to admit I do miss the electric seats. I did pay for a super speaker system aftermarket and that is fabulous and I love the satellite radio. Did you get a front clear plastic piece to protect the hood paint? That was my first addition and has kept pebbles form gouging up my hood paint. I also got those great Weathertech Floor Mats and love them... a perfect fit and ultimate protection!
Old 06-18-2010, 03:35 PM   #56
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Dear Lady Fitz:

I love your plan. I have to admit I do miss the electric seats. I did pay for a super speaker system aftermarket and that is fabulous and I love the satellite radio. Did you get a front clear plastic piece to protect the hood paint? That was my first addition and has kept pebbles form gouging up my hood paint. I also got those great Weathertech Floor Mats and love them... a perfect fit and ultimate protection!
I'm happy with the speakers that came with my truck. My truck is satellite ready. It had part of the trial subscription still on it when I got it but I wasn't all that impressed with what they had to offer. I tried to go on line to find out what the subscriptions cost but it was one of those sites where you actually have to start the ordering process and not find out the cost until they know everything there is to know about you (they also insisted on putting a cookie on my computer and I wouldn't let them; it's my danged computer and I'll determine who puts what on it). Sorry, this old broad won't play that game. Even then, I still was considering it when Sirrius had the gall to call me about renewing the subscription. I detest telemarketers, survey services, political calls, plus, at the time, I was working third shift and sleeping during the day so a telemarketing call waking me up did not endear them to me. I let them know I had been considering renewing but their phone call convinced me to never do business with them again. The call was quasi legal since I had bought a used truck that just happened to have a subscription to their service (I say quasi because I bought the truck, not the subscription; I didn't even know it had one); I myself never did business with them (a loophole in the Do Not Call List allows businesses to call anyone who has done business with them in the previous six months). Besides, 6 CDs loaded up with MP3s (mine are 192, 256, and 320 kbps so they are indistinguishable from the original .wav files) hold over 30 hours of music so I'm not going to get bored driving between decent stations (which are rare). I have over 400 CDs on my computer at home so I have plenty of choices.

I always thought the plastic hood shields looked ridiculous so I never had one and probably never will. Most of my driving is on fairly clean roads, I don't tailgate, especially behind big trucks, and the hood sets so high above the road (even though it's at factory height) so I haven't noticed any damage to the finish. The windshield, on the other hand, has a bijillion almost microscopic pits in it. They aren't interfering with vision so I'm not going to worry about it. Sooner or later, it will collect a rock and my insurance will replace it with one that has harder glass (both of the little Rangers I had years ago also came with soft windshields).

I live in a desert where we don't get a lot of mud so the factory floor mats that came with the truck are adequate and look nice.

I love the electric seats only because I can adjust the angle and height of the seat as well as how far from the wheel it is (the pedals are also adjustable). Once I get it fine tuned to where I like it, I leave it alone until some yahoo changes it on me (it doesn't matter if I tell car washes, etc. not to move the seat, they will anyway; I'm disconnecting the power the next time I take it in).

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 06-18-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:14 PM   #57
Robertb

Refurbished versus new?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oksahmof2 View Post
Any word on a release date for the EZ Plus? Was thinking about getting a refurbished Kindle but if this would be available this summer, i.e. July, then I would give this some serious thought!
Dear oksahmof2:

Well, my personal feeling on refurbished anything is not very good. Refurbs are always questionable.

Also, the PLUS is stronger than the Kindle in SO many ways in my opinion. The Kindle does not have the Epson Controller, does not have a User-Replaceable Battery, does not have an SD card slot or any way to expand the memory, and certainly does not come with the case and ear buds included. Not to mention they certainly are not on this forum.

I CANNOT promise a selling date. I expect we will be selling in 4 weeks... but we need to clean out the remaining EZ Reader Basics first. The price is the same so we cannot afford to get stuck with a bunch in inventory.

I seriously think by the end of July would be the latest wait.

Last edited by Robertb; 06-18-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:32 PM   #58
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Dear oksahmof2:

Well, my personal feeling on refurbished anything is not very good. Refurbs are always questionable.
There are 2 kinds of "Refurbs"

1) Returns for Repair-replacement. (Did they really finfd the problem an fix it?)

2) Exchanges/demos/trade-ups (probably only need a clean-up, But...did something happen that you were not told about).
3) Blemished (cosmetic)

#1) 10 foot pole
#2) iffy. Better be local to the dealer (Astak), just in case.

I applaud not shipping "Refurbs"
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:55 PM   #59
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Quote:
Dear Citac:

I do understand as I also am just dying to get in the PLUS. I am also pushing for even newer models. Imagine having a Dedicated Forum with no news! I DO understand the PM's predicament. He is damned if he does and damned when he does not. And... he cannot withstand a $40 loss on each unit remaining or he gets burned by management.

Rest assured that we know very well what is happening and we are trying to get them in quickly. I make his life miserable in pressing him. This time I feel really sorry for him.

All this means is your point is well taken and we will try to move faster! The PM does read these posts and is very aware!
Well, since you guys are holding the Beach Ready sale at a good price and I will be studying during my holidays and don't want to be lugging all my printouts with me, and since I highly appreciate the helpfulness and the patience of both you and everyone else on this forum, I decided to go for it and get the 6" EZ Reader. I still want a 9" one, but I guess that'll have to wait until next year. I'll continue checking this forum regularly to learn as much as I can so I can have a pleasant e-reading experience. All the best!
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:14 PM   #60
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
This is really exciting, even though I'm unlikely to purchase one soon (You wouldn't believe the flack I've caught for the Nook!) The features and probable price really make it practical for a lot of people.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote