Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #21241
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
It is actually made of tea and some flowers. You drink like normal green tea. Apparently they are good for about 5 infusions with each one tasting slightly different. I will have to get a tall see-through tea glass to enjoy it with.
Thanks for explaining. Make sure to take a pic and share with us. I would like to see what it looks like, when not in a promo pic, and if it tastes good.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #21242
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
They really do look like the promo pictures
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:34 AM   #21243
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Last night my city football/soccer team, FC Utrecht, played against their "arch enemy" (according to various news websites) Ajax from Amsterdam in the Utrecht stadium. After Ajax scored their third goal the Utrecht "fans" started misbehaving; singing racist songs and throwing items and fireworks on the pitch. The referee stopped the game for fifteen minutes to cool down the "supporters". Eight people were arrested.

What makes me really angry was the reaction of the boss of FC Utrecht. He told the media that maybe next time it might be a better idea not to allow Ajax fans into the stadium. He acknowledges that they weren't the ones misbehaving, but "they evoke those feeling in the Utrecht fans". Normally when fans misbehave they get a ban to enter the stadium for a certain amount of time but the Utrecht boss said that wasn't possible this time because so many people were misbehaving, they are going to think about how to deal with what happened last night.

I'm fuming because IMHO they should ban all Utrecht fans from visiting any game for a while. Last year they rioted at a game, injuring 8 police officers. I realize that real fans, that don't misbehave, will be affected by this but if you can't/won't identify the culprits it shouldn't result in no one being punished, especially with the recent history of misbehaving.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:56 AM   #21244
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would think that the people who were arrested should be banned and anyone that they can identify on video should be banned.

I have never understood how losing in a sporting event equates with it is acceptable to chant racist crap.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:32 AM   #21245
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Kirk: "Just goes to prove my theory."
Bob: "What theory is that?"
Kirk: "People are garbage."
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:10 AM   #21246
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I would think that the people who were arrested should be banned and anyone that they can identify on video should be banned.

I have never understood how losing in a sporting event equates with it is acceptable to chant racist crap.
The problem is that so many people were singing racist songs the can't be identified all, or so says the director of the club. And they don't want to ban people who were innocent so they now want to play the next home game against Ajax without Ajax supporters (who were also innocent).

I think it's time that police, clubs and the national football club became a bit more aggressive against persecuting so called football fans.

One of my biggest problems is that all of this is happening with my tax money. Every couple of years the club almost bankrupts, the council helps with a loan and then something happens so the loan doesn't have to be paid back. A couple of years ago the loaned the money as a sort of subsidy to the main sponsor, a building company, so it could build the new stadium. The building company went bankrupt so now than can't or won't have to pay the loan back. Meanwhile playgrounds are being closed because there isn't enough money to maintain them.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:34 AM   #21247
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
The problem is that so many people were singing racist songs the can't be identified all, or so says the director of the club....
That may be true. If that is indeed the case, the only solution I can see is to ban those who can be identified in a high profile manner to make examples of them.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:09 AM   #21248
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Ban them all. Maybe then people will to speak up when others are being jackasses.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:54 AM   #21249
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
That may be true. If that is indeed the case, the only solution I can see is to ban those who can be identified in a high profile manner to make examples of them.
From the interview yesterday the director gave the impression that he was reluctant to ban anyone who wasn't arrested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Ban them all. Maybe then people will to speak up when others are being jackasses.
That's my opinion, too. It's happened so often now without any real repercussions that it's time for some drastic measures.

The club does offer people who live around the stadium something to make up for all the problems the fans cause: they can come to a game for free
Old 09-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #21250
Ravenswd
Enthusiast
Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 7"
Just here to grumble and complain about how the internet, as a whole, is useless as a research tool.

I'm trying to write an article about online publishing. My article contains this sentence:

"The first ebook readers appeared on the market in 1992, but they didn't gain popularity until 2008, because"

There's nothing after the "because" because I don't know what should go there. Nobody seems to have the answer to this. No-one even addresses the question.

After a while, I decided to simply assume (bad reporting here: I'm making things up and passing it off as research) that before then there was no content available for download because of DRM issues. So I look up the history of DRM on ebooks...

...and I can't find anything about that, either. Everything I can find talks about the current state of DRM only, not the history of it or how we got here.

I'm trying very hard not to simply quote Chuckie Finster and end my article with:

"Why did it happen? How did it happen? Nobody knows."
Ravenswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:32 PM   #21251
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
You need to bait your hook with something better than a moan about how unsuccessful your reasearch has been!
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:49 PM   #21252
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenswd View Post
There's nothing after the "because" because I don't know what should go there. Nobody seems to have the answer to this. No-one even addresses the question.
Visibility.

The available ereading devices weren't being marketed in a way that people could find them or even know what they were. I'd look at the history of the devices and their marketing patterns and the resulting sales. There's a reason why Kindles became the the Kleenex of ereaders - few people knew ereading was even a "thing" until Amazon branded it. The first Kindle launched in late 2007. Sony instroduced eink the year before, but I never noticed and I imagine most other people missed it as well. Amazon already had a huge base of customers to market to directly, many of whom were already buying books.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:51 PM   #21253
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Oh, I forgot to rant about something.

RUDE, INSENSITIVE, UNCARING PEOPLE SUCK!

No, that was not just made up for the occasion, it's really bothering me lately.
/end rant
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:05 AM   #21254
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Fashion... I guess that's what it has to be called.
37 different pieces of metal stuck through different parts of the face; spikes, safety pins, rings, lightning bolts, spirals, etc., etc. Through lips, noses, eyebrows, cheeks, foreheads, ears of course, chin....
One young girl I saw yesterday looked as if she were the victim of a fragmentation grenade! She must have had 10 different rings just going through her lower lip, to say nothing of all the metal piercing the rest of her face.

(I remember as a teeth braces-wearing teenager being worried about kissing a girl also wearing braces, fearing we'd get locked together. What do these kids do?!?)

On the other hand, I do sort of dig the purple and green hair...

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:26 AM   #21255
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
I am frightened of green hair. Many moons ago as a young bank teller in Sydney a customer came in with green haired girlfriend(I think she had face metal too), she was also chubby and spotty. Anyway he didn't have any money left in his account (because he had probably spent all his dole on drugs ). She threatened to kill me! I made sure some other staff walked to the bus stop with me in case she was hiding around a corner.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness