Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #1
harpangel36
Connoisseur
harpangel36 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle Fire HD and Calibre

I have downloaded and installed Calibre 8.70. I plugged in my new Kindle Fire HD to my macbook pro and it does not see the Fire either in Calibre or the computer. I tried to convert epub books in Calibre to AZW3 and email them to the Kindle fire, but when trying to open the book it says the file format is not recognizable on the Fire.

Any help would be much appreciated!
harpangel36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You cannot connect to a fire HD on a mac, and if you want to use email delivery convert to mobi not azw3, amazon does not support email delivery of azw3.

See http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....d-phone-tablet
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
cchamp0909
cchamp0909 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire hd
Help? Anyone?

I am new to this site and I am hoping someone can help me. I am not tech savvy so please forgive me in advance if I sound like I am rambling. I cannot get my Kindle fire hd to be recognized by Calibre. I have downloaded the latest version and also made sure my windows media player is updated as well.

I ran the debug mode in Calibre and this is what it says:

calibre Debug log
calibre 0.9.1
Windows-XP-5.1.2600-SP3 Windows
('Windows', 'XP', '5.1.2600')
Python 2.7.3
Windows: ('XP', '5.1.2600', 'SP3', 'Multiprocessor Free')
DEBUG: 0.0 KoboTouch:initialize
Starting up...
Started up in 22.56 seconds with 535 books

It says Kobotouch? I'm not sure what that is?
Any guidance is very appreciated. Thanks

Carrie
cchamp0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

calibre cannot conect ot a fire hd on windows xp you either have to upgrade windows or use one of the wirless connection methods described here: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....d-phone-tablet
Old 10-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #5
cchamp0909

Thank you...I will give the wireless connection a try. Are there plans to update so someone with windows xp could connect in the future?
Advert
Old 10-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No, no plans.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #7
cchamp0909

Ok, thank you so much. I really appreciate the response.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #8
JennyT
JennyT began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fie HD
I'm disappointed to hear there is no fix for Windows XP coming, since it is still used by so many people...me included.
JennyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyT View Post
I'm disappointed to hear there is no fix for Windows XP coming, since it is still used by so many people...me included.
There is a fix. It is called Windows 7 (Vista will work, but 7 is so much better than that.).

The ancient OS is the problem if you want to use modern features.
Disclosure: I like my XP . I Boot the Laptop when I Must use W7
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:19 PM   #10
JennyT
JennyT began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fie HD
Windows XP is hardly ancient and is still used by many people. I can't exactly justify upgrading the XP Pro on my computers--particularly not the business computers--to Windows 7, as well as download new drivers and purchase new Windows 7 compatible versions of some of our programs, just to use calibre.

I'm not a computer programming person, so I guess I don't understand why it is difficult to make calibre recognize Kindle Fires on an XP machine.
JennyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
XP is two (soon to be three) major releases out of date!

It was first released in August 2001.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:35 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyT View Post
I'm not a computer programming person, so I guess I don't understand why it is difficult to make calibre recognize Kindle Fires on an XP machine.
XP was tested in the beta of calibre's MTP implementation. Since MTP support wasn't in the original release of XP the solutions to this were hit and miss. It is not a matter of fixing it in calibre it is a matter of XP not properly supporting MTP.

Currently calibre supports MTP for Windows Vista and newer Windows versions and Linux. Windows XP and Apple's OSX are not supported because of limits within the respective OS.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #13
wuzzle
wuzzle began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpangel36 View Post
I have downloaded and installed Calibre 8.70. I plugged in my new Kindle Fire HD to my macbook pro and it does not see the Fire either in Calibre or the computer. I tried to convert epub books in Calibre to AZW3 and email them to the Kindle fire, but when trying to open the book it says the file format is not recognizable on the Fire.

Any help would be much appreciated!
You need to download the latest version of Calibre, which is now up to v9.12 or something.
wuzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Welcome to MobileRead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzzle View Post
You need to download the latest version of Calibre, which is now up to v9.12 or something.
Moderator Notice
Please do not respond to old posts. The question asked by this poster is over three months old and has been answered.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote